Options

A week in Endicott and Tracy Arm - Day 1&2 - Juneau, AK

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in Journeys
I recently got what could be the coolest job I have ever had, in fact if I had to write down a dream job this could very well be it. I am a rock climber paid by the department of fish and game for the state of Alaska. There's a title I can live with.

I got on to the Alaska Airlines plane without really any idea of what to think. Arriving in Juneau I met with Mark who would lead me on what we would be doing for the next week! The large houses dotted the hillside on an absolutely beautiful day.
540031904_DtbBa-L.jpg
We ate at a place called The Hangar and watched the cruise ships come in.
540031046_U8x88-L.jpg

The next morning we loaded up the boat we would be staying on called the Glacier Seal and took off down the arm. The evidence of mining in the area is prevalent everywhere.
540029370_WLjdo-L.jpg

As we made our way further south we started to come across evidence of glaciers.
540026517_7BUEU-L.jpg

Sumdum Glacier flows smoothly down the valley. This name, while funny at first, is actually named after the sound glacier makes when it calves. The local indians gave it that name.
540077246_hwuEg-L.jpg

Our first night we anchored and watched the sun set. I stood on the upper deck to get a shot of the calm waters.
540066519_4orzn-L.jpg

The next morning it was time to get to work! We took the skiff up Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier. The massive granite walls began to make themselves evident.
540061726_vuKGw-L.jpg

As a climber I took in my surroundings with ease, mouth agape in a stupor.
540065257_FRhL5-L.jpg

The odd formations in bulletproof granite add to the mysticism of the surrounding area.
540063550_unGt3-L.jpg

Everywhere I look a new wall comes into view and into mind as a future objective.
540058956_LdijZ-L.jpg

We finally reach our objective which is a 200' vertical wall. This is where I come in, I was hired to climb this wall and setup ropes so that others could follow by ascending the rope.
540057370_ieSGm-XL.jpg

Every now and then I would take a glimpse behind me, the views were incredible.
540055930_NRTkt-L.jpg

We got a good setup and hauled all the equipment up to the site. The equipment is a camera complete with batteries and a solar panel so that they can monitor the effect of cruise ships on the Harbor Seal population. Here my boss Gail and I take note of the chaos that ensues with many different ropes.
540053962_XctSF-L.jpg

Turning to my right I once again see the beauty of the surrounding area.
540051626_2uKfn-L.jpg

Looking closely some other things begin to come into view.
540050216_ca73C-L.jpg

Their they are! The subject of our work.
540048680_KY6bu-L.jpg

I am torn between the surrounding area of water and the beautiful rock faces of potential.
540048337_MWoaj-L.jpg

We end the day leaving all the gear up so that we can come back for a second day of work in the same area.

This is my office.
540091584_4Qmtt-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Wonderful looking series and great assignment!! Where do I sign up? If I had to pick I'd say the 12th shot was my favorite.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Woot! Congrats on the job Kelsey that is fantastic and I hope that your good fortune stays with you! Thats amazing - the color of the ice and how much the scene dwarfs the seals.

So you set up ropes for people who will study the area?
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Woot! Congrats on the job Kelsey that is fantastic and I hope that your good fortune stays with you! Thats amazing - the color of the ice and how much the scene dwarfs the seals.

So you set up ropes for people who will study the area?

Thanks! I hope to continue doing it as well!.

I climbed up and setup the ropes to haul up the transmitters for tracking the seals and so that the others could jug the rope to setup all the gear.