Dog Politics

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 22, 2009 in People
540523382_K6Peu-L.jpg

No politics could be more local than the question before Newton's Parks and Recreation Commission last night. Since before 2005, the city has been struggling with how to offer the city's dogs a place to run around without leashes. Until two months ago, there was no public place in Newton where this was allowed.

540522567_ur7ep-L.jpg

n 2005, the commission began to consider designating some places as off-leash dog parks. The process moved extremely slowly, but eventually led to a trial period in Cold Spring Park. A field was chosen, signs were posted, a waste bag dispenser installed. A nine month trial period started in March.

540522039_LfDYA-L.jpg

The neighbors of the park are incensed and have been demanding an immediate end to the off-leash trial. They complain about a marked increase in incidents of dogs trespassing on their property, dog owner's being rude to them, and streets crowded with parked cars. They say their neighborhood has been ruined and that "park wasn't broken before; now it's broken."

541427343_NmkEz-L.jpg

Last night the status of the dog run was on The Park and Recreation Commission's agenda. The meeting was very well attended and had to be moved from its normal room to the War Memorial auditorium.

540523148_qXMi7-L.jpg

In the end, the commission took no action (predictably) much to the frustration of some of the abutters.

This issue isn't going away any time soon. The issue is a contentious as a supreme court nomination, if somewhat less momentous. For now issue is tabled at least until the next committee meeting, a month from now.
If not now, when?

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    lovely shots..I can feel the tension and drama. BW is perfect for this as well.clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    great shots - wonderful mood throughout! The room and BW conversion make these photos look rather historic and definitive. Well done!!
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I think the last shot says it all. It shows a lot of emotion and is a perfect ending photo to the series.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Great story and set of shots, Rutt. I can feel the tension and frustration. I had to kind of chuckle that the interest and attendance was so high it was moved to the War Memorial auditorium. :duel The last shot is priceless and also stands on it's own as a great shot. As a dog owner, I can relate to this set and empathize with both sides. Nicely documented and they look great on my new (and uncalibrated as of yet) monitor!