Week 4 in the Life of Kittens

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Here are the 2 newest shots in my gallery. I am trying to document my new kittens' first year.

1. Abbey doesn't look much different from this angle
541518578_dUPkd-L.jpg

But . . .

2. Here is Wicket now:
541521550_zhE5F-L-1.jpg

and here she was the day she came home on April 15.
513165848_3SqAH-L-3.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Hi Lauren,

Thanks for keeping us tuned in as to how the " family " is progressing. I can't wait to see pictures of their first bath.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Hi Lauren.........Documenting their first year is neat idea, I wish I had done that with Echo. Nice set thanks for sharing........ azzaro
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Hi Lauren,

Thanks for keeping us tuned in as to how the " family " is progressing. I can't wait to see pictures of their first bath.

Tom
    Bath. rolleyes1.gifGood luck with that! Those images might be more red than
    anything.
    Michael
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Ah, how adorable! I showed to my friend Mr. Monty, and I said "…how cute!" He said "…cute! …schmoot! …where's my tuna sandwich?"

528252494_ZK259-L.jpg

…I took a look at your site; great pics and lovely kittens! Thanks again!

(Mr Monty's just jealous…)

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited May 20, 2009
    Hey Michael,

Where's your adventuresome spirit? I give each of my three cats a bath every 2 months. The key is to start them on that path as little kittens. I admit it's not their favorite thing to do but they go through the process with a minimum of howling and other guttural noises that are not of this earth.

I've got a friend who has this Maine Coon cat that must weigh 25 lbs. He has seen me give my cats these baths over the years. He decided he would do the same to his 3 year old Maine Coon. When they got through stitching my friend up, his wife threatened to leave him if he ever pulled that stunt again. I explained to him that it was just a matter of proper technique, but he doesn't want to hear it.

Lauren....start them young.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Thanks, all. And thanks especially to Mr Monty--I'll send some tuna his way later!

Tom, I thought about starting them young with baths but just didn't get around to it. Maybe I'll just start taking them to the groomer with the dogs . . . that way all the blood is someone else's! rolleyes1.gif

Azzaro - Glad you liked my idea and are enjoying the series. It's not too late to start with Echo. I so wish I had more photos of my beloved Murphy (the Red Leash - see my avatar). At least he is immortalized at the vet clinic--I had a pic of him blown up to poster size and they have it framed on their wall. He was their mascot/favorite patient/buddy/pal/friend/etc. The day we lost him, half the vet staff came in on their off days to be with Murphy . . . and with me too, I guess. Can't believe it's been +2 years already. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him or talk to him.

Awww shucks, I'm gettin' emotional .....

Aren't we all lucky to have such wonderful blessings in our pets!!!!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Hey Michael,

Where's your adventuresome spirit? I give each of my three cats a bath every 2 months. The key is to start them on that path as little kittens. I admit it's not their favorite thing to do but they go through the process with a minimum of howling and other guttural noises that are not of this earth.

I've got a friend who has this Maine Coon cat that must weigh 25 lbs. He has seen me give my cats these baths over the years. He decided he would do the same to his 3 year old Maine Coon. When they got through stitching my friend up, his wife threatened to leave him if he ever pulled that stunt again. I explained to him that it was just a matter of proper technique, but he doesn't want to hear it.

Lauren....start them young.

Tom

:D Yeap Tom. Start em out young. Good policy. I haven't been made to pay
    out for a bath yet. But a bath is rare as I am not going to ever pay out.
    Had a Manx once we took to the vet. Ripped his forearm deep like a peach
    like about 8 inches. Not going there. mwink.gif They lick so they can just have
    at it to keep clean. A dog I'll pitch in the creek as I wade across with them.
    Works so far and they love the water as I do. Never had a dog
    that wouldn't take the creek on since. A cat on the other hand.... :D
    Michael
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Here are the 2 newest shots in my gallery. I am trying to document my new kittens' first year.

1. Abbey doesn't look much different from this angle

But . . .

2. Here is Wicket now:

and here she was the day she came home on April 15.

Awwwwwwwww they're gorgeous, I'm so glad my Miss Kitty came to me already house trained :D

Wil's Mr Monty is a big fatty compared to your two Lauren.
    Actually Mr Monty is the same colouring as my Miss Kitty.

May they bring you many many years of joy and pleasure thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Too cute Lauren. We've always had cats and dogs. I always wished someone would come up with a cat that stayed a kitten. They grow up so fast and then seem to get all full of themselves and aloof. I really think they believe they're doing us a favor allowing us to live with them. We have a 5 yr old black cat that we rescued as a kitten who had been mauled so bad he was missing half his tail and his right front leg had to be amputated. The first two vets we took him to advised that he was not worth saving!!! He has turned out to be the most loving cat we have ever had. BTW he loves to sit in the sink and reach up and hit the faucet spray button to make it drip on his head. Also likes to be wiped down with a wet paper towel and to be vacuumed to remove excess hair.

Here he is when we first rescued him. You can see the bone sticking out of his tail.

307302940_kwKLX-L.jpg

Here he is two years later sleeping in Rosie our long hair Chihuaha's bed. His fur is like sable.

542640855_nPgvf-L.jpg

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    A truly handsome beast even with his scars. Your story reminds me of Philip Brown's "Uncle Whiskers", an amazing tale of the relationship between a man and a cat who had been in a terrible accident, but never gave up.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures.

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Cute kitties, Makes me want one.
    edited May 22, 2009
    Hi jack,

That's a heart-rendering story about your cat. It speaks volumes about the character of an owner who will extend love, affection, and care to an animal in need. It's no wonder that the cat has returned your love many fold.

One of my cats can't wait to stick his head under a running faucet. What's with these critters?

Take care,

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I have a friend whose cat used to drink out of glasses placed under the water faucet. No cat I've ever had would go anywhere near water!! Well, except that the two kittens have stepped into the shower after I got out, just to see what it was like.

Jack--Thanks for sharing your pics and story. Praise God there are folks like you who save such wonderful animals. Just think what you both would have missed if a vet had put him down! I'm also glad to know you are a cat and dog person! Lots of people seem to me one or the other--I do know people who have both species, but it's nice to find people who really love 'em all!!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com