Options

Pros and vacation

RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
edited May 21, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I usually go on vacation for only a week at a time. However, since I am now my own boss, we are spending 2 weeks in Maine :) So, my question for the other pros here, what do you do with your galleries when you are gone for an extended period and can't proof any prints? Do I just turn off my shopping cart globally and put a note on my homepage that I will be away? Any other ideas on how to handle this?
A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    Laptop?
    Really - I can' t imaging not having access to my business for two weeks.

Best Buy has laptops for under $300.
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Can't do without my MacBook Pro. I'm open 24/7 365 days a year. :D

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I have 4 laptops. However, we stay in a very secluded part of Maine. No internet access (not even a house phone). There are no public utilities either, the whole place runs on a propane powered generator. Maybe I'll have to look into public web access points.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I use a wireless internet card on my laptop to get access on the road. It works even in areas where our cell phones will not. It isn't the fastest and I wouldn't want to upload alot, however, it has always worked for me. (We travel in a coach and sometimes are parked in remote areas)
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    RKnecht wrote:
    I have 4 laptops. However, we stay in a very secluded part of Maine. No internet access (not even a house phone). There are no public utilities either, the whole place runs on a propane powered generator. Maybe I'll have to look into public web access points.

Do a broad band search or go dial up......check local cafes, truck stops, public libraries..........but if nothing else check your local CRICKET phone store for their broadband card......

Seal Sattelite phone??rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

If you start being "un-touchable" for any periods of time it will do great damage to your business.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I regularly tether my blackberry to my laptop to avoid paying WiFi fees, or if the internet at home is cranky. Of course, while technically at broadband speeds, tethering usually just makes those qualifications.

It's an additional $30/mo, but it's been well worth it.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I went out of town last week for 4 days. I do not have a laptop, and even if I did, it wouldn't have my photo library. While I was on the road I received 60+ print orders. Proof delay was set for a week, so I have a couple of days (tonight and tomorrow) to get everything checked, uploaded, and approved.

I had regular internet access while on the road, (at the hotel and at the conference) so I could see these orders coming in and knew I was in for some long nights when I got back.

If I was going to be gone for greater than a week without internet access...

hmmmm... I wouldn't plan a trip that puts me without internet for more than a week, so I can't help you.

Maybe hire an assistant to proof the orders while you are gone? Otherwise, you are just going to have to make time to find an internet port. Welcome to the life of a small business owner.
    RKnecht wrote:
    I usually go on vacation for only a week at a time. However, since I am now my own boss, we are spending 2 weeks in Maine :) So, my question for the other pros here, what do you do with your galleries when you are gone for an extended period and can't proof any prints? Do I just turn off my shopping cart globally and put a note on my homepage that I will be away? Any other ideas on how to handle this?