DSS #26 - Modify the Light idea

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is today's idea for 'Modify the Light'

I plucked a single bloom off a Rhoddie out front and held it up overhead so it would block the sun and be lit through the pedals.

I would call it "Floral Eclipse of the Sun", or some such silliness...

Love it? Hate it? Indifferent? :D

541761335_JmYkP-XL.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 20, 2009
    Hi Mike.
    Interesting idea you have there. The pink is really appealing. I must say though that the background is a little distracting. I wonder if you are able to do the same concept with the light behind the flower inside with more controled light. A dark background with a flashlight or some other strong source of light up against those pedals will really bring that flower out and pop the colors up! Just an idea.
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I was tossed if people would find the background interesting or distracting.

OK, so I took the flower and put it on a black background as a quick proof of concept test.

How is this in comparison? I like it. There's a lot more I can do with this and it is much stronger.

I know it is a crude 'demo', but if you guys think this is the better direction to go I will work on a rig to hold the flower and try some indoor flashlight backlit shots.

Thanks!

541803772_2ZiCJ-XL.jpg
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 21, 2009
    I think the darker background is worth the effort to see what you come up with.thumb.gif
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    2nd One
    HI Mike,

I agree. I like the one with the dark background better too.. very pretty shot.. If I were you, I would try different flowers on the dark background too. You never know how different colors will play out in the contrast. rolleyes1.gif

Have fun...

Kat
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    What about taking the first one and just vignetting the heck out of the corners...sort of a compromise between the two offerings?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Another vote for the black background. thumb.gif The backlighting looks nice against it.

You can have a GOOD time with this shot. :D Have you added a Hue/Saturation layer and then played with the hue lever to change the color of the flower? Also play around with Curves a bit and see what that yields. mwink.gif
    edited May 22, 2009
    I did some work last night suspending a few blossoms in a dark room and illuminating from behind. The effect was excellent and I will indeed have a LOT of fun working with this concept. Thanks again for all the great feedback and ideas. :D
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    2nd
    15524779-Ti.gif I love the 2nd photo with the black background. The transparency of the pedals is really nice!
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Number 2. I love the way the overlapping petals make leaf shapes. Nice work.
    edited May 25, 2009
    So my original concept was to backlight a flower petal. The light would be 'modified' by passing through a flower. No front fill light at all. My first attempt was to hold the petal up in front of the sun. Neat, but could be better. JAG suggested I move to a 'dark' room. So I reshot in total darkness firing off a flash multiple times behind the petal over a several second exposure. The result was very nice, but reminded me more of moonlight than sunlight. So I decided to chase an 'astral' theme to explain the backlighting. I tried adding a moon in the background but it was far to distracting. So I ended up adding a 'star' created from a flashlight in the same dark room.

So hit me with some C&C. Are you amused and captivated? rolleyes1.gif

545913955_ncGdV-XL-0.jpg
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    You've been busy Mike!

With this edit, is the idea (pun) sorta that the pink star light in the back adds to the color of the flower?

I have to be honest Mike - I don't like it :cry - like a flower floating in space:D .

I personally like the backlit shot with the black background - I kind of look at it as a flower anatomy lesson with all the see-thru detail in the petals. thumb.gif - something you usually don't get with flower shots.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear considering all your work - but there are likely many others here that will really like this shot.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 25, 2009
    I like the original black background better.. it shows off your modification... however, the star background it ok.. too.. I don't like the star it is distracting....

strong entry,. best of luck..

Kat
    edited May 25, 2009
    headscratch.gifI don't mind the star at all. It's a great fantasy shot. thumb.gif The flower itself can be perceived of as a star with its own light source.
    edited May 25, 2009
    Hee hee! Two uncomfortable responses before someone liked it. Thanks for the honesty :D

Yes, it IS supposed to be a flower floating in space, illuminated by the star. (My old hobby of astro-photography keeps sneaking into my work)

It is indeed helpful to hear if I've gone too far!

Thanks!
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    MikeK wrote:
    (My old hobby of astro-photography keeps sneaking into my work)

Funny!! Now it makes sense! :giggle
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 25, 2009
    OK, so the question appears to be, which do you like?

1) Simple and pure

546084876_feNi5-XL.jpg

OR

2) Mike's Rhoddie stars in a remake of '2001 A Space Odyssey'

545913955_ncGdV-XL.jpg
    edited May 25, 2009
    Simple and Pure..... iloveyou.gif
    edited May 26, 2009
    "2001" gets my vote. thumb.gif I know this doesn't help. rolleyes1.gif

"Simple and Pure" is lovely, but it can be seen as "just-another-backlit-flower-shot". "2001" has a bit more context and shows much more imagination on your part. mwink.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Simple and pure! thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I like the whole idea, but of the final two selections I'm a simple & pure kinda gal, I think - the stars are neat, but I think the artificiality of that takes away from the natural beauty of the flower.
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Okay I have to agree with the consensus - despite being a sci-fi nut and Stanley Kubric fan, the simple flower is a beautiful shot and gets my vote. I really like the Rhodo In Space idea, and the pairing of the star and flower shapes is neat, but ultimately it's leaning toward kitsch (which I enjoy by the way) whereas the simpler version is more pure and artistic. Great work on both!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited May 26, 2009
    Yes, yes, creativity is awesome here, and it is always a blast to work in photoshop. I am addicted to PS myself...there is that old saying out there.. "welcome to photoshop, time has no meaning here" however, in photography,
    ( in my own humble opinion), simple composition comes first and rules... then photoshop follows or enhances.......... to me the star being so bright and in the same space as the main subject says, "no, no, not the flower, look at me"me, me, me... it distracts from your main subject.. and what that subject is supposed to be portraying here right? I mean you can never tell what the judges will like or dislike, depends on the judge....

So,,Just my two cents.... headscratch.gif think about it.. carefully, but then submit with your "own" gut feeling and best of luck to you with whichever one you decide to submit... thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Kat
    edited May 28, 2009
    Thanks a lot for everyones help, ideas, and feedback, I surely appreciate it. Good luck to everyone, there are some fine images entered!
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Good luck to you as well!
    I really like the one you decided to go with. Very nice work!