Nikon series DSLR

IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Cameras
I chose as my first DSLR a Nikon D40, on the basis of a magazine review which stated the D40 was the best value entry-level camera of this type. I had previously used a Pentax film SLR for some time. The D40 has served me well for two trips to Australasia, got some really nice pics (if I may say so!). One or two things niggled at me: for instance, the kit lenses -- 18-55 & 55-200 Nikon AF -- have a plastic to metal bayonet mounting. I purchased a Sigma 70-300 telephoto, which has a nice strong metel-to-metal bayonet. My reason for writing is not to put down Nikon (far from it), but I notice that Canon seem to be mounting a heavy opposition to the famous Nikon name. Were I to upgrade to a 10MPixel body, I would probably have to stick with Nikon now, but do any Dgrinners have pertinent comment on the merits of the two competitors now? As an aside, I have a small collection of classic Pentax and Canon SLR's from the 1960-70's era, and I can't help noting how very well Japanese cameras were built 40-odd years ago: a little heavier, but a joy to use. OK, OK, so I'm a dinosaur on cameras, but, well, the images all come out digital now anyway (and I DO use state of the art software!):rolleyes
- IanB.

'The important thing is not the camera, but the eye.'

-- Alfred Eisenstaedt, (1898-1995).

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 21, 2009
    The honest truth is that all of the current manufacturers have very solid offerings nowdays, Nikon and Canon far commanding the lead.

Canon and Nikon have long been worthy competitors and both have very complete systems. It would do you well to study the systems because once you become entrenched in one system, it's hard and expensive to change. (Although we do have some members here with both systems.)

As with everything there is no perfect anything, and so it is with cameras and lenses and accessories, etc.

I too once used Penatx, and I still own both M42/scewmount and "K" mount manual focus cameras and lenses. Happily, the screwmount lenses can use a simple adapter and be used on a Canon EOS series camera. Likewise, Nikon "F" mount lenses, except for the "G" series lenses, will mount on a Canon EOS body via a simple adapter. Focus will be manual, but you can get focus confirmation with the correct adapter. Aperture is manual either way which is why the Nikon "G" series lenses don't work too well as they lack an aperture ring. Lenses with an aperture ring will meter properly using a "preset" aperture technique.

Unfortunately the Pentax lenses will not mount on a Nikon camera body through a simple adapter, and it has to do with the flange to focal plane distances, so it is a physical limitation.

The best Pentax lenses still provide excellent optical resuilts as you can see here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37003
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27214
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34881
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showpost.php?p=918969&postcount=6

It even allows attachment to a microscope:

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28810

The Pentax "K" mount lenses may also be mounted but sometimes they have to be altered first by either clipping or removing the aperture actuation lever on the lens. I've not done that yet.

If you like Nikon, there is no necessary reason to change. My father owns Nikon and I'm fine to shoot his system with excellent results.

Do invest in some quality lenses and invest in yourself, learning new techniques and new capabilities.

Also invest in lighting equipment. The image is largely influenced by proper and appropriate lighting, and that can have more impact than either lens or camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Nikon series DSLR
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The honest truth is that all of the current manufacturers have very solid offerings nowdays, Nikon and Canon far commanding the lead.

Canon and Nikon have long been worthy competitors and both have very complete systems. It would do you well to study the systems because once you become entrenched in one system, it's hard and expensive to change. (Although we do have some members here with both systems.)

As with everything there is no perfect anything, and so it is with cameras and lenses and accessories, etc.

I too once used Penatx, and I still own both M42/scewmount and "K" mount manual focus cameras and lenses. Happily, the screwmount lenses can use a simple adapter and be used on a Canon EOS series camera. Likewise, Nikon "F" mount lenses, except for the "G" series lenses, will mount on a Canon EOS body via a simple adapter. Focus will be manual, but you can get focus confirmation with the correct adapter. Aperture is manual either way which is why the Nikon "G" series lenses don't work too well as they lack an aperture ring. Lenses with an aperture ring will meter properly using a "preset" aperture technique.

Unfortunately the Pentax lenses will not mount on a Nikon camera body through a simple adapter, and it has to do with the flange to focal plane distances, so it is a physical limitation.

The best Pentax lenses still provide excellent optical resuilts as you can see here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37003
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27214
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34881
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showpost.php?p=918969&postcount=6

It even allows attachment to a microscope:

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28810

The Pentax "K" mount lenses may also be mounted but sometimes they have to be altered first by either clipping or removing the aperture actuation lever on the lens. I've not done that yet.

If you like Nikon, there is no necessary reason to change. My father owns Nikon and I'm fine to shoot his system with excellent results.

Do invest in some quality lenses and invest in yourself, learning new techniques and new capabilities.

Also invest in lighting equipment. The image is largely influenced by proper and appropriate lighting, and that can have more impact than either lens or camera.

Thanks for that thoughtful reply, ziggy, and your link illustrations are very interesting. IanB
    - IanB.

• PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Ziggy's the most level-headed guy when it comes to this sort of thing—lucky he got to you first.

Being a dual-system guy (and not happy about it) I recommend getting your hands on everything that's available in your price range. You may find that you find a system that suits your brain better, or it may confirm that you made the right choice in the first place. I'm going through this right now (publicly, with my dgrin support group) which is both agonizing and expensive once you have a sizable investment. If you can get this wanderlust out of the way, I highly recommend it.
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Obviously entry level cameras are not going to be built to incredibly exacting standards. Sure the are minor differences between the brands but from what I have seen is that all entry dslrs are pretty much poor quality. It's not until you move higher up the lineup that you start to see improvements in build quality.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I am a Nikon user from the film days, and as Ziggy mentioned, once you are heavily invested in good glass, swapping brands becomes a daunting task.
    A little while back, I swapped systems with another photographer for a day. The Canon 1DS Mark III took excellent photos, and in comparison to my D3, there were some things that were better and some that were worse.

The most difficult thing for me was the feel and the buttons. Of course I could get used to these differences given enough time. Side by side there is no clear winner. It boils down to what feels right in your hands, and what does the best for you.
    Steve

Website
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    If you have Pentax lenses already you should check this out.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=131292
    But if you go up in camera & lens quality in Nikon it will be quite different than the kit lenses that you have now. D90 or D300 you can still use the old like a tank built lenses that I love. Nikon AF 75-300 or AF 300mm f4 ED that wont run on your D40 due to lack of drive motor.
    Good luck
    P.S. My D300 has survived a couple of drops that would have shattered my D50, it is a strong platform if that is a concern.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    I shoot Nikon (first a D40 and now a D90) and I love it. Canon also has great cameras and lenses. If you don't have any specific reason to switch to canon, you're probably better off sticking with Nikon for the simple reason that you already have lenses that will work with whatever camera you buy next. If you switch systems then you have to buy new lenses. One thing I will say is that if you are into flash photography, Nikon has an amazing off-camera lighting system, CLS (creative lighting system) that lets you do some awesome things. Canon has a simlar system but from what I've heard you can't do as much with it. For instance, with a Nikon D80 or higher camera, you can control up to two groups of off camera flashes from your camera using just the built-in pop-up flash, whereas with canon I'm pretty sure you have to have an additional flash on the camera to serve as a commander for this sort of thing. Nikons also allow you to use rear curtain sync with any type of off camera flash, even if it's fired with cheap ebay radio triggers.
  • thedudethedude Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    I would have to agree with Cygnus Studios. I've learned (the hard way) not to underestimate how important handling and ergonomics are.

These days almost all DLSRs will deliver great image quality (albeit with different bells & whistles)...but not every camera will feel "right" to you.

It's a highly subjective aspect and habits are sometimes hard to "un-learn". I tried and couldn't and after having switched from Nikon to Canon, I switched back again to Nikon.

Now I feel like I've come "home" again.

Note: the Canon delivered great images...but that isn't (always) the whole story.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    thedude wrote:
    Now I feel like I've come "home" again.

Note: the Canon delivered great images...but that isn't (always) the whole story.

Amen. I couldn't agree more. It's in the hands.
  • IanBIanB Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Nikon series DSLR
    I shoot Nikon (first a D40 and now a D90) and I love it. Canon also has great cameras and lenses. If you don't have any specific reason to switch to canon, you're probably better off sticking with Nikon for the simple reason that you already have lenses that will work with whatever camera you buy next. If you switch systems then you have to buy new lenses. One thing I will say is that if you are into flash photography, Nikon has an amazing off-camera lighting system, CLS (creative lighting system) that lets you do some awesome things. Canon has a simlar system but from what I've heard you can't do as much with it. For instance, with a Nikon D80 or higher camera, you can control up to two groups of off camera flashes from your camera using just the built-in pop-up flash, whereas with canon I'm pretty sure you have to have an additional flash on the camera to serve as a commander for this sort of thing. Nikons also allow you to use rear curtain sync with any type of off camera flash, even if it's fired with cheap ebay radio triggers.
    Thanks for the hint about CLS. I've ordered an off-camera extension cord for the Speedlite -- this is a new field for me, I look forward to getting into it. IanB
    - IanB.