2600+ photos and 1 perfect timing shot

The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
edited June 2, 2009 in Sports
deleted.

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    As an FYI I see the shot was taken at 200mm - given the DOF it would seem you were relatively close to the golfer. it is generally considered extremely bad form to take a photo of a golfer during his down swing. Close enough to get this shot is close enough for golfer to hear the shutter. It's a very good way to get your self thrown off a course if professionals are around. Granted, it's a pro-am and not PGA. But the principle is still the same - we shouldn't let our photography interfere with the participants.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    johng wrote:
    As an FYI I see the shot was taken at 200mm - given the DOF it would seem you were relatively close to the golfer. it is generally considered extremely bad form to take a photo of a golfer during his down swing. Close enough to get this shot is close enough for golfer to hear the shutter. It's a very good way to get your self thrown off a course if professionals are around. Granted, it's a pro-am and not PGA. But the principle is still the same - we shouldn't let our photography interfere with the participants.

When you have a Media Pass and you're shooting at the driving range, it's a little different. Thanks for the lesson though, I know the rules of golf. This was a professional golfer as well, and he asked to see the shot.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    When you have a Media Pass and you're shooting at the driving range, it's a little different. Thanks for the lesson though, I know the rules of golf. This was a professional golfer as well, and he asked to see the shot.
    Glad you know the rules - here's another. Try not to mislead people. When you pass off a driving range shot as a tournament shot it's dishonest. Hope you enjoy lesson # 2 :D
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Glad you know the rules - here's another. Try not to mislead people. When you pass off a driving range shot as a tournament shot it's dishonest. Hope you enjoy lesson # 2 :D

Where exactly did I pass this off as a tournament shot?
    My job was to shoot the driving range and the tournament, which included 3 days of shooting.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    johng wrote:

FYI - if you had said in initial post: you had finally timed this perfect shot at the driving range I would have a different reaction - my reaction would have been "cool". But you mislead your audience leading to my confusion
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    johng wrote:
    FYI - if you had said in initial post: you had finally timed this perfect shot at the driving range I would have a different reaction - my reaction would have been "cool". But you mislead your audience leading to my confusion

oh my god. im so sorry. i fixed the original post JUST for you.

Maybe I should include every detail of the shot, time, location, type of club, type of ball, type of grass on the range, height of player, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    Where exactly did I pass this off as a tournament shot?

You said it was from the Pro-Am tournament. By omitting the driving range aspect it was, IMO, misleading. It's like me taking a photo of batting practice before a MLB game and saying: "here's a shot from the Yankees / Bosox game".
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Cool shot. Don't know golf, don't care much about sports in general, but like this photo.

Caroline
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Got to agree with John.

Saying this was from the tourney, when it wasn't, is lying.

Nice shot, though I'm fairly certain its from a burst sequence and not really "perfect timing" ... as long as you're happy with it.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    Got to agree with John.

Saying this was from the tourney, when it wasn't, is lying.

Nice shot, though I'm fairly certain its from a burst sequence and not really "perfect timing" ... as long as you're happy with it.

I deleted the photo. More trouble then it's worth.
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    I deleted the photo. More trouble then it's worth.

You shouldn't have to delete, it was a great picture and I really like itclap.gif. No need to call anyone anything here on Dgrin.
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Do you shoot MLB?
    johng wrote:
    You said it was from the Pro-Am tournament. By omitting the driving range aspect it was, IMO, misleading. It's like me taking a photo of batting practice before a MLB game and saying: "here's a shot from the Yankees / Bosox game".

I was just wondering if you shoot pro baseball? Do you shoot batting practice before the games? What team are you affiliated with, the Red Sox or the Yankees?
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    I was just wondering if you shoot pro baseball? Do you shoot batting practice before the games? What team are you affiliated with, the Red Sox or the Yankees?

Gary - I'm not affiliated with a team. As for what I shoot - the answer is "not much anymore" - life and family has taken over my sports shooting time.
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Thanks!
    johng wrote:
    Gary - I'm not affiliated with a team. As for what I shoot - the answer is "not much anymore" - life and family has taken over my sports shooting time.

Oh, ok! Just looking to network with peopel that shoot sports! Have a great weekend!
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    You shouldn't have to delete, it was a great picture and I really like itclap.gif. No need to call anyone anything here on Dgrin.

Thanks.
    You're right, I shouldn't have to delete it. But, it obviously wasn't 'technically' correct and that bothered some ppl.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    put it back! I want to see the shot..I am a golf nut!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    But, it obviously wasn't 'technically' correct and that bothered some ppl.

OK Erik. I thought this was cleared up. But apparently it's not.
    1. You posted a photo you said was from the Pro-Am tournament. No mention of practice round much less the fact it was from a driving range.
    2. I pointed out that taking photos during a down-swing was not a good idea - because your post led me to believe the shot was taken during a tournament not the driving range. Had you mentioned the driving range, there would have been no need for my post.
    3. You responded quite snidely that you knew the rules of golf and "thanks for the lesson".
    4. I attempted to point out I felt your captioning was misleading - leading a reader/viewer into believing your well-timed shot took place during the competition. It hadn't - it took place at the driving range where you have many more opportunities to get the shot than in actual competition.
    5. You posted more snide remarks and a very juvenile large-font text in your original message.
    6. I responded with clarification - that leading a viewer to believe a shot was taken during actual competition was misleading - much in the way taking a shot during batting practice but labeling the shot as New York - Bosox game might mislead a reader into thinking the shot was taken during the game. The relevence, which I didn't state, was in the timing of the shot. A similar analogy, which I didn't state, would be taking a shot of a football receiver catching passes during warm-ups (when you have dozens of chances to get the shot) and captioning it as the game would lead a viewer into thinking the shot was captured under game situations - making the photographer's efforts more impressive.
    7. You did send an apology but then you edited your posts to remove your juvnile responses - which is good. But you're not letting it go.
    The problem I had was - you are supposed to be a photojournalist (you had a press pass). Theres a higher standard for honesty and integrity for media - at least in my book. But just as importantly - you reacted in a very juvenile and imature way to the critique. Had you been upfront instead of misleading in your initial post, you would have never received a 'rules of golf' response and we could have all focused on the photo. Had you not responded in juvenile fashion this thread would not have gone the route it has. And, of course, had you not continued to react as you did in your latest response there would be no need for my post explaining the issue I had. You're not supposed to be Joe Public shooting your son for fun. Fortunately for you this forum allows edits so you were able to remove from record some of your juvenile behavior. But, if you think honesty and integrity in captioning isn't an important part of media work, you are mistaken. And just because this isn't the paper you were shooting for doesn't mean you don't have to display the same honesty in your captioning here that you do for the paper.

So, I have no issue with the technical components of the shot - it's a very good shot. I just have an issue with the integrity of your captioning and with the manner in which you acted within the context of this thread. Outside the context of this thread I can't comment as we haven't run across one another on forums or in real life.

This is just my opinion. You and others may feel differently and that's OK. Everryone is entitled to their opinion and because this is a public forum I exercise my right to post my opinion.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    johng wrote:
    OK Erik. I thought this was cleared up. But apparently it's not.
    1. You posted a photo you said was from the Pro-Am tournament. No mention of practice round much less the fact it was from a driving range.
    2. I pointed out that taking photos during a down-swing was not a good idea - because your post led me to believe the shot was taken during a tournament not the driving range. Had you mentioned the driving range, there would have been no need for my post.
    3. You responded quite snidely that you knew the rules of golf and "thanks for the lesson".
    4. I attempted to point out I felt your captioning was misleading - leading a reader/viewer into believing your well-timed shot took place during the competition. It hadn't - it took place at the driving range where you have many more opportunities to get the shot than in actual competition.
    5. You posted more snide remarks and a very juvenile large-font text in your original message.
    6. I responded with clarification - that leading a viewer to believe a shot was taken during actual competition was misleading - much in the way taking a shot during batting practice but labeling the shot as New York - Bosox game might mislead a reader into thinking the shot was taken during the game. The relevence, which I didn't state, was in the timing of the shot. A similar analogy, which I didn't state, would be taking a shot of a football receiver catching passes during warm-ups (when you have dozens of chances to get the shot) and captioning it as the game would lead a viewer into thinking the shot was captured under game situations - making the photographer's efforts more impressive.
    7. You did send an apology but then you edited your posts to remove your juvnile responses - which is good. But you're not letting it go.
    The problem I had was - you are supposed to be a photojournalist (you had a press pass). Theres a higher standard for honesty and integrity for media - at least in my book. But just as importantly - you reacted in a very juvenile and imature way to the critique. Had you been upfront instead of misleading in your initial post, you would have never received a 'rules of golf' response and we could have all focused on the photo. Had you not responded in juvenile fashion this thread would not have gone the route it has. And, of course, had you not continued to react as you did in your latest response there would be no need for my post explaining the issue I had. You're not supposed to be Joe Public shooting your son for fun. Fortunately for you this forum allows edits so you were able to remove from record some of your juvenile behavior. But, if you think honesty and integrity in captioning isn't an important part of media work, you are mistaken. And just because this isn't the paper you were shooting for doesn't mean you don't have to display the same honesty in your captioning here that you do for the paper.

So, I have no issue with the technical components of the shot - it's a very good shot. I just have an issue with the integrity of your captioning and with the manner in which you acted within the context of this thread. Outside the context of this thread I can't comment as we haven't run across one another on forums or in real life.

This is just my opinion. You and others may feel differently and that's OK. Everryone is entitled to their opinion and because this is a public forum I exercise my right to post my opinion.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I'm sorry, I didn't realize how petty you'd be on the internet.

And it's Eric, as it says in my signature.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    The Mack wrote:

And it's Eric, as it says in my signature.

My apologies - a very good friend spells it with a K. It was not an intentional slight.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited May 23, 2009
    OK. Both points have been made. Enough.

Thanks.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Geez, now I want to see the shot that started this pissing match.
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    it was a close-up of a club about 1ms away from hitting the ball.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    OK. Both points have been made. Enough.

Thanks.
    it took you way too long to jump into this in my opinion.

& Eric, I'd love to see the shot....maybe try to duplicate it sometime for a background photo
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    I swear I asked for this thread to be deleted, instead the moderator posts and doesn't delete.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    I swear I asked for this thread to be deleted, instead the moderator posts and doesn't delete.

ne_nau.gif

Thread doesn't need to be deleted, and shouldn't be.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    kiz5 wrote:
    Thread doesn't need to be deleted, and shouldn't be.

Well on every single other forum on the internet that I'm apart of (over 100) if you ask a moderator to delete your thread it gets done, as long as you're not scamming people.

I mean really? it's just a chatting thread now. Delete it. I'm sick of the obvious reminder of how petty and stupid some people are.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    I'm sick of the obvious reminder of how petty and stupid some people are.

So, why did you bump it from page three, back to page one?

mwink.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 2, 2009
    The Mack wrote:

ne_nau.gif
    That's right. You did. And my decision was not to delete it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?