High Key

MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Technique
I was on flickr the other day searching for inspiration and saw a bunch of photos tagged "high key" so I googled it and this is how I interperted the explainations. Is this even close... is this even a good example.. and is high key one of those over exposed "happy accidents"?? Anyway, thanks for the imput in advance.3549943353_bfd5a09fc1.jpg
Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
:ivar

Comments

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    I was on flickr the other day searching for inspiration and saw a bunch of photos tagged "high key" so I googled it and this is how I interperted the explainations. Is this even close... is this even a good example.. and is high key one of those over exposed "happy accidents"?? Anyway, thanks for the imput in advance.3549943353_bfd5a09fc1.jpg

I would say this is a pretty good example of high key. Not great, but close. As I understand it, high key is VERY little to no shadows. Not nessecarily over exposed, because a lot of the time you can still see detail, it's just all towards the right side of the histogram. Also, it's most certainly not a "happy accident". There is a rhym and reason to every shot, high key fits certain shots and is done intentionally.

Excellent post though, good job. Keep trying and pushing it. Push it till it goes too far then go back a step.
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    I would say this is a pretty good example of high key. Not great, but close. As I understand it, high key is VERY little to no shadows. Not nessecarily over exposed, because a lot of the time you can still see detail, it's just all towards the right side of the histogram. Also, it's most certainly not a "happy accident". There is a rhym and reason to every shot, high key fits certain shots and is done intentionally.

Excellent post though, good job. Keep trying and pushing it. Push it till it goes too far then go back a step.

Thank you so much for you feedback!!! I played with this photo too... any better? I feel light certian aspects of the photo shouldn't be washed out too much... like the eyes nostrils and mouth... am I correct by thinking this?3551578753_033a37b4c1.jpg?v=0
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    A lot of people would say that both of these are high key, and others would say that only the second one is. There's lots of definitions that people use, but the one that I tend to agree with is that a high key photo is one in which the darkest tones in the image are the subjects skin tones. This means typically a white background and white or light colored clothing. The point is that the eye of the viewer is immediately drawn to the subject because of the contrast. A low key photo, conversely, would be one where the skin tones are the brightest tones in the image. That means usually a black background and black or dark clothing.

Additionally, low key photos typically have deep shadows and lots of falloff, while high key photos have a more open lighting pattern with a low lighting ratio and no deep shadows.

Of course, the definitions don't matter much. If you like the photo it doesn't really matter if it measures up to some arbitrary classification.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    Thank you so much for you feedback!!! I played with this photo too... any better? I feel light certian aspects of the photo shouldn't be washed out too much... like the eyes nostrils and mouth... am I correct by thinking this?

You're welcome. I really like this photo. Great sharpness, color, light. This is a great example of high key. I would say you are correct by thinking this.

Here's an example of one I did (Self Portrait)...

467810934_GpZXg-L-1.jpg

Good work. Keep it up. Your second one is way better than mine...fwiw.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    edited May 21, 2009
    You're welcome. I really like this photo. Great sharpness, color, light. This is a great example of high key. I would say you are correct by thinking this.

Here's an example of one I did (Self Portrait)...

467810934_GpZXg-L-1.jpg

Good work. Keep it up. Your second one is way better than mine...fwiw.
    awww...thank you for the sweet compliment :) I feel like the learning jobs never done :) having sooooo much fun doing it tho. I took a peek at your site... you are a very talented gentleman!!!! I do like this self portrait of you... I can see what you mean by bringing it too far.. .then back a step. Tho..its impressive how much detail still remains. I can't thank you enough for your time and explainations... everyone here seems so generous in that way. I only hope to be able to pay it forward one day.
    edited May 21, 2009
    A lot of people would say that both of these are high key, and others would say that only the second one is. There's lots of definitions that people use, but the one that I tend to agree with is that a high key photo is one in which the darkest tones in the image are the subjects skin tones. This means typically a white background and white or light colored clothing. The point is that the eye of the viewer is immediately drawn to the subject because of the contrast. A low key photo, conversely, would be one where the skin tones are the brightest tones in the image. That means usually a black background and black or dark clothing.

Additionally, low key photos typically have deep shadows and lots of falloff, while high key photos have a more open lighting pattern with a low lighting ratio and no deep shadows.

Of course, the definitions don't matter much. If you like the photo it doesn't really matter if it measures up to some arbitrary classification.

Thank you so much Tim!!!! I think I get it! Its dramatic ends of the color spectrum... ... good way of looking at it :)
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I did this one of my daughter. How is this? She has very curly hair, so it was hard to get a "smooth" look from this, but . . well, I like it and so does she. lol Thanks for looking. C&C?

618926379_TrMGo-M.jpg
    MissB wrote:
    Thank you so much Tim!!!! I think I get it! Its dramatic ends of the color spectrum... ... good way of looking at it :)
    edited August 13, 2009
    im still not sure what the standards are for high key...but I like the way it looks... I guess thats what really matters... if you and your daughter like it. nice work!
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    im still not sure what the standards are for high key...but I like the way it looks... I guess thats what really matters... if you and your daughter like it. nice work!

Hi MissB-You have given me the itch to try out high key. My Oly E620 actually has a setting called "high key" but unfortunately it's not much--
    I am going to try it out anyway with the minimal pp available to me.

Love the way they look.

Thanks for starting this great thread.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 13, 2009
    I don't think there really are any standards per se, but I think that's the beauty of "Art" whether it's digital or handmade. :) Thanks, MissB! i appreciate that.
    MissB wrote:
    edited August 14, 2009
    awww...shucks! Cant wait to see what you guys come up with... yay!
    edited August 14, 2009
    Here's one of my sweet Grandma.

619452685_9Rdnp-M-1.jpg
    MissB wrote:
    awww...shucks! Cant wait to see what you guys come up with... yay!
  • CSR StudioCSR Studio Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I shot this one with a 2:1 lighting ratio. There is a lot of space between her and the background. It hasn't been photoshopped and was shot on film awhile ago. You can also shoot this on digital, I have done some but this was the first one I came across. Is this what you are talking about?
    edited August 14, 2009
    That's very nice!! I'm sure there are quite a few variations on this "High Key" theme as well. I've seen some in color, some in B&W, etc. Your shot is beautiful. IMHO
    CSR Studio wrote:
    I shot this one with a 2:1 lighting ratio. There is a lot of space between her and the background. It hasn't been photoshopped and was shot on film awhile ago. You can also shoot this on digital, I have done some but this was the first one I came across. Is this what you are talking about?
    edited August 15, 2009
    I love all the different variations and examples... I did one yesterday...well not sure if its truly high key... but definatly a higher exposure.. whatya think?

5574_254016965334_215467805334_8322825_4011621_n.jpg
    edited August 15, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    Here's one of my sweet Grandma.

619452685_9Rdnp-M-1.jpg

oh my goodness your family is going to love this one for generations to come!
    edited August 15, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    That's very nice!! I'm sure there are quite a few variations on this "High Key" theme as well. I've seen some in color, some in B&W, etc. Your shot is beautiful. IMHO

Thank you!
    edited August 15, 2009
    Beautiful! :)
    MissB wrote:
    I love all the different variations and examples... I did one yesterday...well not sure if its truly high key... but definatly a higher exposure.. whatya think?

5574_254016965334_215467805334_8322825_4011621_n.jpg
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Goof, the photo of your grandmother is a beautiful example of high-key.

High-key doesn't have to involve overexposure and washout. In fact, the idea is to go as light as possible while still holding onto detail.
    The shadows give us detail, definition and contour. Without shadow, the swan would be invisible and, let's face it, we'd only have light.
    And if all we have is light, we might as well photograph nothing but nice, neat, clean sheets of white, unlined paper.

PorcelainSwanDSC_1343.jpg

You needn't wash out colors, either, because they are also a part of light and shadow. The main difference is that these shadows happen to have pigment.
    As you know, converting Jack's face to black and white would leave nothing but light and shadow in the shape of his round, bulbous head and pointy hat.
    Of course, his facial features would be diferent shades of gray. That's the nature of color as shadow.

DSC_0820.jpg

High-key can also involve the use of darker shadows and colors. An image that is pure black and white can be seen as high-key, but's it's actually high contrast.
    If the shadows are black enough, it can also be known as Litho. But we're talking about high-key, here, so although pure black is allowed, it is kept to a minimum.

DSC_0805.jpg

Although all of these images are high-key, the swan, ironically, is furthest from being pure. Why?
    Because out of the three images, it is the darkest overall.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited August 15, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

High-key doesn't have to involve overexposure and washout. In fact, the idea is to go as light as possible while still holding onto detail.
    The shadows give us detail, definition and contour. Without shadow, the swan would be invisible and, let's face it, we'd only have light.
    And if all we have is light, we might as well photograph nothing but nice, neat, clean sheets of white, unlined paper.

You needn't wash out colors, either, because they are also a part of light and shadow. The main difference is that these shadows happen to have pigment.
    As you know, converting Jack's face to black and white would leave nothing but light and shadow in the shape of his round, bulbous head and pointy hat.
    Of course, his facial features would be diferent shades of gray. That's the nature of color as shadow.

DSC_0820.jpg

High-key can also involve the use of darker shadows and colors. An image that is pure black and white can be seen as high-key, but's it's actually high contrast.
    If the shadows are black enough, it can also be known as Litho. But we're talking about high-key, here, so although pure black is allowed, it is kept to a minimum.

DSC_0805.jpg

Although all of these images are high-key, the swan, ironically, is furthest from being pure. Why?

FANTASTIC! thank you for sharing these examples and information!
    edited August 15, 2009
    As I understand it, high key is VERY little to no shadows. Not nessecarily over exposed, because a lot of the time you can still see detail, it's just all towards the right side of the histogram. Also, it's most certainly not a "happy accident". There is a rhym and reason to every shot, high key fits certain shots and is done intentionally.

That is what I have always been taught and how I have always shot high key. With a portrait, most of the time the eyes and hair are the darkest things in the image. Everything else goes to white. Example: the photograph that Candid arts posted. I have never seen high key with a yellowish background. That is just shooting on white.
    edited August 15, 2009
    Ok my attempt at high key.
    Or I should say self-portrait/high key, arms straight out method, lol.
    Is this close?
    I had to get creative with the PP. All I have available to me is basic exposure and then the picnik editing program on smugmug, which thankfully allows me some creativity.

I think some will say that round border should go away, but blv it or not I will lose other effects if I take that border out.

Started with a regular shot, shot under my high key setting in my camera, I used late afternoon natural light plus my ceiling fan light and a standing lamp next to me.

I then kicked up the exposure tons in pp, then backed it down a notch, then went to bw then used a "horton-ish" effect on picnik. lol. Not the usual way probably....

Let me know if I"m close.

619180277_vuM7R-XL-2.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 16, 2009
    Thank you so much. You made my day. :)
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

DSC_0820.jpg

DSC_0805.jpg

edited August 16, 2009
    Ok my attempt at high key.
    Or I should say self-portrait/high key, arms straight out method, lol.
    Is this close?
    I had to get creative with the PP. All I have available to me is basic exposure and then the picnik editing program on smugmug, which thankfully allows me some creativity.

I think some will say that round border should go away, but blv it or not I will lose other effects if I take that border out.

Started with a regular shot, shot under my high key setting in my camera, I used late afternoon natural light plus my ceiling fan light and a standing lamp next to me.

I then kicked up the exposure tons in pp, then backed it down a notch, then went to bw then used a "horton-ish" effect on picnik. lol. Not the usual way probably....

Let me know if I"m close.

619180277_vuM7R-XL-2.jpg

first off you are really pretty :) fun self portrait! great first attempt definatly. I would really like to see more details in the eyes especially. would you mind throwing the original at me so that i can tinker with it too? speaking of ... i'd love to see some sooc and high key afters in this thread.. that might be fun!
    edited August 16, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    first off you are really pretty :) fun self portrait! great first attempt definatly. I would really like to see more details in the eyes especially. would you mind throwing the original at me so that i can tinker with it too? speaking of ... i'd love to see some sooc and high key afters in this thread.. that might be fun!

Hi MissB,
    Thank you for the compliment:) made my morning.

I know you are a wiz on the PP work, I've seen what you've done with quite a few of them.
    So yes I'd love to see what can be done with the original and some real High Key work. i wish I could isolate the eyes so they don't fade, the only way to keep it semi bold for me is to go b&w, otherwise it's just all faded looking.

Here is the original you asked for.
    Happy processing!
    620824082_uCaNd-X2.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 16, 2009
    oh oh fun fun!! thank you!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Here ya go, Liz.

620824082_uCaNd-X2-Liz.jpg

You made a good attempt, but you went all the way to Washoutland City Hall: Most of the detail in your face is missing, which is a bad thing.
    Why? Because then everyone who views your image will miss out on the wonderful curve of your smile.
    The secret to successful high-key is to go as light as possible without losing detail in your main subject. Pure white isn't always the goal.
    On the other hand, a pure white background, although not necessary, can be a good thing and is often associated with high-key.

MissB. The examples I presented are very close to straight-out-of-the-camera. Only the swan was lightened to protect the image.
    Had I exposed it normally in-camera, I would have lost a lot of detail in the swan.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited August 16, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Here ya go, Liz.
    You made a good attempt, but you went all the way to Washoutland City Hall:

Hee hee "Washoutland City Hall", I'm a frequent visitor to this part of townrolleyes1.gif , I have a heavy hand for sure.

Thanks for giving me back my nose, and some of my lips.
    I'm really enjoying seeing the same photo and how you processed it differently, I hope more people will do that, it certainly is teaching me a few things.

It's definately a different look from the one I did, and I can see where I went off the deep end.

Thanks Lee.

PS: next time I will use a white background, will make things much easier.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited August 16, 2009
    3827263765_2c75fc421b.jpg

black and white conversion after normal tweaking....

3828062232_4d226a5454.jpg

high key version using "soft light" on PSE.

any imput...im trying to interpert the advice for the figurine examples.