DSS 26 -- On the theme?

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited May 22, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
542456618_kX8ev-L.jpg

Caught a bright moon behind the point of a lighthouse.

Considering entering this as my first DSS entry. Though, I'm still looking through the DSS rules to make sure I don't screw up. Do I shoot for a particular size or resolution? If I use Lightroom to "Burn full-sized JPEG" does this save the exif data?

Thanks,
Greg
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Very nice shot, Greg! It looks good as is, but I'm wondering if there's a little more detail that can be gained in the sky. headscratch.gif

Now that we upload our photos directly to a gallery, there's no need to worry about the size -- as long as you don't make it too small. At minimum, make sure your photo is at least 800px minimum on the longest side. The gallery settings take care of resizing the photos for optimum viewing.

As far as making sure the exif gets saved, hopefully a Lightoom user will chime in with the proper method of doing that.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    when you export as jpeg the exif should follow, dont worry about size other than dont make it to small...anything over 800 pixels wide should be fine.

after you add the image to the gallery verify the exif is there. ive had it once not be and i dont know why it was not....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 21, 2009
    umm ya what she said....rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 21, 2009
    umm ya what she said....rolleyes1.gif

Great minds think alike... lol3.gif
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Very nice shot, Greg! It looks good as is, but I'm wondering if there's a little more detail that can be gained in the sky. headscratch.gif

It was a 3 sec exposure, and the clouds were zooming across. Maybe I'll try and blur out the cloud borders a little.?.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited May 21, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    It was a 3 sec exposure, and the clouds were zooming across. Maybe I'll try and blur out the cloud borders a little.?.

Try that, and if that doesn't give you what you like, try to adjust the contrast/exposure and see what that yields.
    edited May 21, 2009
    has a portrait crop crossed your mind? ....
    Aaron Nelson
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Great shot.....really like the silhouette. thumb.gif

It would be interesting to see a different crop. Just curious. I think a tighter crop might make the cloudy, gloomy sky more of a focus.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 21, 2009
    I played with the curves/contrast a bit and found some cool radiating light details around the top of the lighthouse. I'll go back and look at different crops. I think the lighthouse is probably too wide to fit in portrait, but maybe a square crop?

Thanks for the feedback.

542531949_3Qw7s-L.jpg

Greg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Handsome Shot
    This is a handsome shot... I like the colors and I like what you did with everyone's advice in exploring the curves to bring out that sky.. It is a creative use of moon light... the only thing that stands out to me is the symmetry.. this photo makes me really want symmetry in the sky, however, no big deal really, I am just one of those people who are "huge" on symmetry.. and I keep wanting to see the sky balance out instead of all the clouds on one side... it does tug on my eyes...

other than that,, the colors are good and it is well shot and I like the shape especially of the top, I like that needle on top, it helps to draw our attention to how you are shooting the moon light.. however, the needle on the left competes with the needle on the top just a little... I do like the red and blue contrasting each other here,, very nice.

Kat
    edited May 22, 2009
    Thanks. I agree with you on the symmetry. The antenna on the left bothers me too, and I thought about "shopping" it out, but, it's the lighthouse. It's sort of iconic around here. For fun, here's another shot of it from the same night.

531909961_F6wGJ-L.jpg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited May 22, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    Thanks. I agree with you on the symmetry. The antenna on the left bothers me too, and I thought about "shopping" it out, but, it's the lighthouse. It's sort of iconic around here. For fun, here's another shot of it from the same night.

This one's really nice! I like it better than the other one. Your depth of field is nice and sharp and I love the light that's being cast onto the walkway.
    edited May 22, 2009
    Thanks. I went ahead and entered that one too. (Can you enter more than one?)
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    Thanks. I went ahead and entered that one too. (Can you enter more than one?)

No, alas. deal.gif PM a moderator and they will remove the extra entry for you.

But the lighthouse is stunning! I think you should try a square crop. clap.gifclap.gif
    edited May 22, 2009
    Crud. Will do.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    This one's really nice! I like it better than the other one. Your depth of field is nice and sharp and I love the light that's being cast onto the walkway.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited May 22, 2009
    Might've screwed up in submitting the first one. I cropped it square. Does look better. I like the light in the second one, but I think the reason why I like the first one better myself is because I see the standard view of the lighthouse all the time and it just feels so familiar to me. But, maybe to someone who doesn't see it all the time, maybe it wouldn't feel so postcard-y? Oh well. Already had to PM a mod to remove the first two. Going to try not to rethink myself again. I'll learn.

Thanks.

Greg
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    You can also put a note in the caption of the one you DON'T want along the lines of "Please delete - new entry submitted" and/or pm the mod and they will remove the one you don't want. Also, I think there's a standing policy of using the most recent entry submitted by somebody if they haven't indicated otherwise.

Absolutely LOVE the 2nd shot of the lighthouse. That red spill certainly counts as "modified light" in my book!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Yep
    Here Here.. I am with Diva on that one.. I do believe the light spill qualifies it.. at least in my opinion too...

let me say... awesome!!! I personally don't feel that it is a postcard type image
    because of all the light play...
    I love the reds and indigo hues... and this one has symmetry "all over the place"... nice lines and
    super nice balance.. very pleasing to look at, and then there is of course all of the
    different light.. from direct to smooth and even ambient and glow... super.!

I too, like this one better than the first.. but in the end you should always go with your
    gut and own instincts as an artist..

Best to you...thumb.gif
    Kat