Options

question about exporting from lightroom

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 21, 2009 in Finishing School
there's an option on there about the file type and some output settings, one of them is i think pixels per inch? (or something to that effect, i'm at work right now and can't think of the exact wording) Anyway I think it defaults at 240 or something along those lines. Of course I always set my output to jpeg and the quality to high but what effect do the pixels have? What should I be using?

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Why are you exporting? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    I take photos in RAW, upload them to my computer in LR, then when I'm done editing I export it, converting it to jpeg, in a file so it's easy to find when i want to upload to my gallery, email, etc..

Is there an easier way? I sort of like the images sitting in lightroom, then I can finish editing and shoot them out to a file on my hard drive in jpeg. then i can re-edit it if I want and rexport for another version.

Please enlighten me if there is a better way!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    there's an option on there about the file type and some output settings, one of them is i think pixels per inch? (or something to that effect, i'm at work right now and can't think of the exact wording) Anyway I think it defaults at 240 or something along those lines. Of course I always set my output to jpeg and the quality to high but what effect do the pixels have? What should I be using?

If you are talking about this option in the export dialog:

2009-05-21_1451.png

Normally, I do NOT resize to fit (so that checkbox is off) and thus none of these settings matter.

If you are resizing to fit, then you pick a pixel dimension for whatever edge you've selected and then the resolution number just determines what metadata is put on the image for it's size (e.g. 8" x 10"). It does not affect the pixels themselves at all. Nearly all modern software that you will then use this image in will ignore that metadata value so it doesn't really matter at all whether it's set at 72 or 240.

Unless you are creating a JPEG for a specific size purpose (like a web page), I would not recommend resizing at all. Better to just keep the original number of pixels that your image had. You can always downsize later if you need a smaller copy for an email or a web page or something like that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Please enlighten me if there is a better way!
    I don't export a processed JPG until and unless I need an image somewhere other than in Lightroom - which is almost never.

I print from within Lightroom. When I need images in my SmugMug or Zenfolio galleries, I export them directly to those galleries without creating intermediate JPGs or TIFFs. And finding processed (or any, for that matter) images is achieved with keyword or other metadata filters, including use of rating stars.

About the only time I create JPGs is the small sized and low resolution images needed for e-mailing - which I immediately trash!

For me, a major advantage of Lightroom's comprehensive file management capabilities would be severely compromised if my images also existed in other forms, in other places. It's not necessary for me!
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    yep that's exactly what i'm talking about. I figured it had something to do with the resizing, but if those boxes aren't checked it still allows you to put something in there. I don't resize them but that box isn't greyed out so I always assumed it was doing something there. I just never messed with it.

Glad to know i don't have to worry about it. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    I don't export a processed JPG until and unless I need an image somewhere other than in Lightroom - which is almost never.

I print from within Lightroom. When I need images in my SmugMug or Zenfolio galleries, I export them directly to those galleries without creating intermediate JPGs or TIFFs. And finding processed (or any, for that matter) images is achieved with keyword or other metadata filters, including use of rating stars.

About the only time I create JPGs is the small sized and low resolution images needed for e-mailing - which I immediately trash!

For me, a major advantage of Lightroom's comprehensive file management capabilities would be severely compromised if my images also existed in other forms, in other places. It's not necessary for me!

I don't export every file, just ones I want to upload to facebook or different printing services or if I want to email one.

I understand the purpose of their file management, but my photography right now is merely recreational, and most often includes experimentally processed pictures of my little girl and goofing off shots. Not only that my file names mirror those in lightroom so i always know exactly where they go.

Thanks for the information though! Definately something to consider if I start doing this professionally some day.

Oh also...just out of curiousity when you send them to print or upload them directly to smugmug, do they convert to jpg's then?
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    ... my photography right now is merely recreational ...
    Mine too! thumb.gif