Small External HD vs Larger Ones??

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited May 24, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Hi all, I am thinking about an external hard drive again. I see that Costco had the WD 500G Elite portable hard drive on sale for $100. My question is how do these compare with the larger portable HD's? This one would run off of USB.
Thanks for any info.

Ron
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    ront wrote:
    <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Hi all, I am thinking about an external hard drive again. I see that Costco had the WD 500G Elite portable hard drive on sale for $100. My question is how do these compare with the larger portable HD's? This one would run off of USB.
    Thanks for any info.

Ron

Ron,
    if you can describe its projected usage I may have a better solution for you...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    It will be used for picture storage. Maybe take it back and forth from home to work and back.

Thanks, Ron

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited May 21, 2009
    ront wrote:
    It will be used for picture storage. Maybe take it back and forth from home to work and back.

Thanks, Ron

I see... So it's gonna be trasported a lot. In that case portable thing prolly is the best. I was thinking more of a backup/archivla usage, in which case a $12 usb sata/ide adapter and plain internal HDD (which would be quite cheaper than it's enclosed usb version) would be the cheapest one.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I have a 500g WD Passport that I use for photo storage, among other things. Works great and I love how easy it is to just unplug it and take it with me wherever I'm going.
    edited May 23, 2009
    I have a 500g WD Passport that I use for photo storage, among other things. Works great and I love how easy it is to just unplug it and take it with me wherever I'm going.
    Those are awesome. One of my Mass Upload customers used it to pass the data to me. Very handy and safe way to handle data on the run.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I did just get the WD Passport Elite. Costco has them for $100, which seemed like a great deal. So far, I really like it. As warned, it is not a speed demon, but that is ok with me. I do not have to worry about a power supply, just plug it into USB and go.

Thanks for the input!!

Ron