portrait practice!

pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited June 14, 2005 in People
I'm still practicing with my digital rebel xt...I'm having trouble with the flash on it. It's so bright and I can't figure out how to turn it off with out the shutter speed slowing down and making the pictures blurry.

Here are a couple of my practice portraits. I know they aren't perfect, the focus is a little off. (I'm still working on getting that right as well.) I shot both of these with the camera on automatic. I haven't ventured into the manuel settings just yet.

Tyler, my boyfriend:
(It's kinda OOF, but still a good picture of him in my opinion.)

20050605_0148editQuicke-mailview.jpg

My momma, looking highly annoyed because I dared to interrupt her gardening with pictures. (I have no willing subjects...*le sigh*)
20050609_0357editQuicke-mailview.jpg

Even the cat gets grumpy as soon as I get out the camera...
20050606_0303editQuicke-mailview.jpg
Even though it's a feline and not a human it's still a portrait...:dunno

Anyway, any helpful comments are appreciated! Still much to learn...

Comments

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2005
    I like these! The first one is good (i know how hard it is to get a man to not look stupid by trying to look cool in front of camera). I really like the one of your mum but i find the background just a tad distracting. And I know cats that have more personality than most people i knowrolleyes1.gifGreat shots:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    I'm still practicing with my digital rebel xt...I'm having trouble with the flash on it. It's so bright and I can't figure out how to turn it off with out the shutter speed slowing down and making the pictures blurry.

Here are a couple of my practice portraits. I know they aren't perfect, the focus is a little off. (I'm still working on getting that right as well.) I shot both of these with the camera on automatic. I haven't ventured into the manuel settings just yet.

Tyler, my boyfriend:
    (It's kinda OOF, but still a good picture of him in my opinion.)

20050605_0148editQuicke-mailview.jpg

My momma, looking highly annoyed because I dared to interrupt her gardening with pictures. (I have no willing subjects...*le sigh*)
    20050609_0357editQuicke-mailview.jpg

Even the cat gets grumpy as soon as I get out the camera...
    20050606_0303editQuicke-mailview.jpg
    Even though it's a feline and not a human it's still a portrait...ne_nau.gif

Anyway, any helpful comments are appreciated! Still much to learn...

Amy!
    I think they all are very good!
    Esp. I like the first and the last one.
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:

I haven't bought the XT yet, but on my Canon point-and-shoot, I've left the flash output* set to
    -2/3 all the time, or two notches down from normal. This way, the flash still helps out by filling in, but it doesn't overpower everything.

*NOT the exposure compensation
    edited June 12, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    I haven't bought the XT yet, but on my Canon point-and-shoot, I've left the flash output* set to
    -2/3 all the time, or two notches down from normal. This way, the flash still helps out by filling in, but it doesn't overpower everything.

*NOT the exposure compensation
    Hmm I'm sure you can probably set this on the XT too, I'm going to have to search through the manuel and figure out how! thanks!

-Amy
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    Why no color Amy mwink.gif Glad to see you're getting in some practice!

I'd have cropped boyfriend the way you cropped momma.

I found the onboard flash is awful. Bought a 420EX and it's made a world of difference (kitties still run away when they see the camera though).

regards
    alan
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    Hmm I'm sure you can probably set this on the XT too, I'm going to have to search through the manuel and figure out how! thanks

Looking at the dcresource.com review of the XT, it looks like it's under menu tab 2, labeled Flash Exp Comp. You'll need to figure out what flash output level you feel comfortable with.
    edited June 14, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Looking at the dcresource.com review of the XT, it looks like it's under menu tab 2, labeled Flash Exp Comp. You'll need to figure out what flash output level you feel comfortable with.
    Thanks!! I'll go look for it now. I'll probably have to test it out at different levels and figure out which is best.

mwink.gif
    -Amy