Sick Raccoon

IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
edited May 25, 2009 in Wildlife
I was sitting in my backyard this evening, when I noticed a Raccoon under my bird feeders. I went inside and got my camera and took these shots from 15' away from the Raccoon, who showed no concern at all with my being there. After taking the shots, the Raccoon began to walk away, but before it could get forty foot away, it fell over on its side three (3) times. It was a very sick Raccoon.

Fearing that the Raccoon may have rabies, my wife called the Brevard County Animal Control, as did the Melbourne Police. We were told that Animal Control was on the way, and we should keep eye on it for the Animal Control Officer who was coming. Would you believe that Brevard Animal Control never showed up after telling us an officer was on the way. Not 3 blocks from our house, the Brevard Animal Control has about 10-15 vehicles parked at the Sarno Government Center.

Raccoon_9430.jpg

Raccoon_9440.jpg

Raccoon_9444.jpg

Raccoon_9462.jpg

Raccoon_9467.jpg

Comments

• LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    I love raccoons. iloveyou.gif

Poor little guy-- It's also possible he had distemper, from your description. Either way, you probably won't see him again. If you have dogs that roam the area, make sure they are up to date on their vaccinations!
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    That is really sad. As annoying and frustrating as they are, they are cute. You got some great shots, it's too bad he was suffering.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Amazing that animal control wouldn't come out, especially with the high incidence of rabies in these pests.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Harry, I received an E-mail from Brevard County Animal Services & Enforcement stating that the calls were not forwarded by the answering service to the Animal Control Officer on duty that night. It would appear that they have a problem that needs fixed.....

At any rate, as sick as this raccoon was, I don't think anybody else will be seeing it.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Don't rabid animals have hydrophobia (fear of water)?
  • IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Don't rabid animals have hydrophobia (fear of water)?

I don't know about fear of water, but in late stages they physicaly can't drink water.

Raccoons like dogs and cats are often inflicted with several deceases including Parvo, Distemper, Rabies and a host of other problems. Determining the cause of the illness usually requires confinement and observation by trained professionals, and in the case of rabies if necessary examination of the brain tissue at a lab may be required. Citizens should report wildlife that appear to be ill to the authorities, who will determine if a public health problem exists.