Options

Need some help with spots on sensor

tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited June 17, 2005 in Cameras
This is kind of freaking me out, so hopfully someone can help calm my nerves. I was taking some shot through the window on my flight to Atlanta. I noticed a couple of small specs on of the the pictures and figured I had a couple of specs of dust. So I took out my blower brush and blew a couple of gentle puffs to blow away the dust. Have done this a couple of times with no problem.

This time, somehow there was some moisture in the blower, which promptly blew some tiny droplets onto the sensor. I'm not sure what to do at this point. The water dried and you can see it one the sensor and other than that the sensor seems undamaged. It's just this spots now show up heavily on pics. I didn't want to touch the sensor for fear of scratching it up or worse.

Is a sensor cleaning kit or something like the Copperhill method a possible way to clean this? Or should I take it in to check it out? It's basically water spots.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    Is a sensor cleaning kit or something like the Copperhill method a possible way to clean this? Or should I take it in to check it out? It's basically water spots.

nod.gifnod.gif

don 't worry - be happy
    everyone goes thru this. get the copperhill stuff, and give a swipe or two, you'll be fine deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nod.gifnod.gif

don 't worry - be happy
    everyone goes thru this. get the copperhill stuff, and give a swipe or two, you'll be fine deal.gif
    Thanks Andy. I'll start breathing again now.
  • Options
    evil eggplantevil eggplant Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    The copperhill method (pec pad and eclipse) is not very good at removing moisture. You may find that the spots are still there after you clean the sensor.

If this is the case, isopropyl achohol and/or distilled water may be necessary.

Your best bet, if the spots don't show at f/11, don't sweat it.

There is always gunk on my 20D sensor, at this point I have basically given up on keeping the sensor clean.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    I will second that. I use a blower to get rid of the big stuff, I don't worry about the small specs. I usually shoot with wide apertures, and they never show up anyway, even the big stuff.

I have the copperhill kit, but so far have not needed to use it. You'll go crazy trying to keep the sensor 100% clean all the time.
    Your best bet, if the spots don't show at f/11, don't sweat it.

There is always gunk on my 20D sensor, at this point I have basically given up on keeping the sensor clean.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    Well, just to give an example of the spots on the pics...

All of the spots on the upper left and right sides are on the sensor itself
    spots.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2005
    Problem solved
    I found a place here in Atlanta that carrys Photosolutions Sensor Swabs and clearer. Worked like a charm. The sensor is clean enough to eat off of.

What I don't understand is how water ended up in my blower brush. I guess it was just condensation, but it's never happened like that before. Maybe something with being on a plane?

Oh well...problem solved
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited June 17, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    I found a place here in Atlanta that carrys Photosolutions Sensor Swabs and clearer. Worked like a charm. The sensor is clean enough to eat off of.

What I don't understand is how water ended up in my blower brush. I guess it was just condensation, but it's never happened like that before. Maybe something with being on a plane?

Oh well...problem solved
    You might want to keep the blower in a plastic bag.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?