Options

Photo replace bottle neck

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 23, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Recently I shot an event and decided rather than process all the images and upload print ready images to upload basically proof jpgs and to process replace the proof images with final print images only upon an order.

While this does work....................replacing each print individually is really very inefficient. The upload / replace time is much longer than a simple upload time, and the necessity of doing this one at a time means I can't leave and do other things.

Is there any way to implement a batch replace type process? How are other event photographers dealing with this?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Is there any way to implement a batch replace type process? How are other event photographers dealing with this?
    Not on Smuggy's end.... Buy Star*Explorer.

You upload with it (easier that way too) and then it has the ability to auto-replace with the newer files.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    I Agree. Use Star Explorer. You just check a preference that says when you're uploading a file of the same name as something you already uploaded, it should do a replace instead of an upload. You can do hundreds/thousands at once.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I Agree. Use Star Explorer. You just check a preference that says when you're uploading a file of the same name as something you already uploaded, it should do a replace instead of an upload. You can do hundreds/thousands at once.

OK, so can I replace multiple images with images having the same #, but with say PR added to the file name?

If I can't differentiate between the proof image and the print ready image, I wouldn't know how to handle that.

Sam
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    OK, so can I replace multiple images with images having the same #, but with say PR added to the file name?

If I can't differentiate between the proof image and the print ready image, I wouldn't know how to handle that.

Sam
    I don't know exactly how the replace photo logic identifies whether you're uploading a new photo or a replacement photo (whether it's only filename or uses metadata). You can ask the author in the StarExplorer thread.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question