Options

CS4 Action & Editiing Questions

JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
edited May 27, 2009 in Finishing School
Once you have created an action is there a way to edit them? Example if I wanted to add and/or remove an additional step within an action, how?
Within my actions I also create layers for each adjustment so I can tweak each photo if needed.
Also, I am finding it difficult to remove blemishes once the actions are completed...

Example:
1) Duplicate main layer
2) Run Noise Ninja - label layer
3) Run G. Blur @ 10 reduce opacity to 35% add a mask - label layer
4) Create an Levels layers adjust black point (left arrow) to output 5 - label layer

Now once the action has completed and I want to remove any blemishes which layer would I make the corection? I understand that the "lower" layers is not a good place (because they are covered by the upper layers) but if I try to make the adjustment on layer #3 (G. Blur) using the "heal" brush there is no effect. If I remove the mask, still no effect. I am using the wrong "tool" for this specific layer (G. Blur)?
Or should I be creating the blur affect after I have removed any facial blemishes?
Now if I work on the photo without running the action first, duplicate the main layer first then remove blemishes then run the action everything works as I expect. Is there another way? Possibly less time comsuming? Or does it all work out to be the same?
Please, what am I doing wrong or is it I don't really understand "layering", help...

I am just a beginner, finding out wonderful new tricks every time I take the time. I have finally started creating actions 1) because they are way, way faster 2) Now I am getting a more consistant "look" accross a batch of photos.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
J. Murph

Comments

• Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Howdy.
    Jay wrote:
    Once you have created an action is there a way to edit them? Example if I wanted to add and/or remove an additional step within an action, how?
    Hi, Jay. You can do both. It’s pretty easy.

I have found it best to create and edit actions on a duplicate copy of the image. (Menu>Image>Duplicate)

You can’t be in “Button” mode.

To edit a step in an action:

In the Actions Palette, double click on the step you wish to modify. The appropriate dialog box will open. Make your changes. Click “OK” or press Enter.

That’s it.

To remove a step, select and delete it, or, drag it to the trash can at the bottom of the palette.

To add a step:

Click on the step you want the new step or steps to appear after.

Click on “Begin recording” at the bottom of the palette.

Add your step or steps.

Click on “Stop” at the bottom of the palette.

You’re done.

You may also rearrange the steps in an action by dragging.

Hope this helps.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Thank you for you relpy - Button mode?
    Howdy.

Hi, Jay. You can do both. It’s pretty easy.

I have found it best to create and edit actions on a duplicate copy of the image. (Menu>Image>Duplicate)

You can’t be in “Button” mode.

To edit a step in an action:

In the Actions Palette, double click on the step you wish to modify. The appropriate dialog box will open. Make your changes. Click “OK” or press Enter.

That’s it.

To remove a step, select and delete it, or, drag it to the trash can at the bottom of the palette.

To add a step:

Click on the step you want the new step or steps to appear after.

Click on “Begin recording” at the bottom of the palette.

Add your step or steps.

Click on “Stop” at the bottom of the palette.

You’re done.

You may also rearrange the steps in an action by dragging.

Hope this helps.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>

Sorry for the late reply but yes it does help thank you very much, just one other question what is "button" mode?
    J. Murph
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Howdy.
    Jay wrote:
    ...just one other question what is "button" mode?
    Button mode helps you get the most out of your actions. Click on the little tab at the top right of the Actions palette. It's marked, in typical obscure Photoshop fashion, with a triangle and three little horizontal lines. The Actions palette options flyout should appear. The top option is "Button Mode". Click on it.

The Actions palette will now be a series of bars, or buttons. One for each action. Click on the button for the action you want to run, and the action runs. With just one click, instead of clicking on the action, then clicking on "Play".

Below is my Actions palette in Button Mode.

546947439_95Vtz-M.jpg

The colors can be selected when you create the action, or later. They help my eye go right to what I'm looking for. Only about the top third of my actions are visible. I scroll down to access the others. Actions I tend to use together are grouped together, so they are all visible at the same time.

Note some of them are for very simple, but very handy actions. Like flipping the layer. Or rotating it. One click can do pretty much anything you want. Even if it's just expanding a selection by one pixel. Or contracting it. Some of my actions just open a dialog box. Saves a lot of drilling through menus for routine tasks.

I use it as a list of shortcuts I access with a click of my mouse instead of my keyboard. Not just a way to program and execute multi-step editing procedures. Or for batch processing. (Note: I try and use all keyboard shortcuts I'm aware of. I usually only program an action shortcut if there isn't a keyboard shortcut, or I don't want to program it as one.) There are some fancy shmancy actions down near the bottom. Top secret and all. But I get most of my use out my very mundane and simple one and two step shortcut actions.

I normally operate in button mode. The only time I switch out is to create a new action or edit an old one.

Anyway, that's how we do it in the cheap seats.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Faster Buttons
    Lee,

Thank you again I really like the buttons clap.gif

Jay
    J. Murph