Options

Missing EXIF/PS CS4

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited May 22, 2009 in Finishing School
When I save for web in PS CS4...upload to SM...my exif data is missing. I have the box checked for saving "all" metadata checked in the save options for jpg files in PS. I can still see the exif data in Bridge when viewing the saved jpg.:scratch

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 22, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    When I save for web in PS CS4...upload to SM...my exif data is missing. I have the box checked for saving "all" metadata checked in the save options for jpg files in PS. I can still see the exif data in Bridge when viewing the saved jpg.headscratch.gif

Hmm...in CS3, none of the metadata are saved when you use Save For Web. That's intentional, as it saves around 30k of space. Are you sure Bridge isn't getting something from the XMP sidecar? Try using another program to look at the EXIF data of a JPG that you saved for web. I'm guessing it won't find any.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hmm...in CS3, none of the metadata are saved when you use Save For Web. That's intentional, as it saves around 30k of space. Are you sure Bridge isn't getting something from the XMP sidecar? Try using another program to look at the EXIF data of a JPG that you saved for web. I'm guessing it won't find any.

30K...whoa! wings.gif

The point is...I want the exif data...I guess your saying I can't have it in a jpg file. More PS wierdness. :D
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    30K...whoa! wings.gif

The point is...I want the exif data...I guess your saying I can't have it in a jpg file. More PS wierdness. :D

You can't have it through the Save for Web feature - jpgs are fine. Try saving the file normally and uploading.

Edit: have a look at this. Based on that I'd guess that CS4 saves the metadata in a compacted form which of course makes it unreadable by other software. You can probably confirm this through the help feature (I'm running CS3 so I can't check).
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    You can't have it through the Save for Web feature - jpgs are fine. Try saving the file normally and uploading.

CS4 doesn't have an option for saving jpg files under "save as"...just "for web". Unless I'm missing something.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 22, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    CS4 doesn't have an option for saving jpg files under "save as"...just "for web". Unless I'm missing something.headscratch.gif

Yeah, you're probably in 16 bit mode. Switch the mode to 8 bit RGB and I'm sure you'll see the option.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Yeah, you're probably in 16 bit mode. Switch the mode to 8 bit RGB and I'm sure you'll see the option.

Thanks, Richard. thumb.gif

I had just figured that one out and you beat me to the keyboard! :D

Seems like the option for saving as a jpg should be available no matter what mode your in. PS should be smart enough to change it to 8 bit for jpg files...IMO.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    Thanks for trying to help me.:D

Saving for web seemed logical to me.....well now I know!
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Seems like the option for saving as a jpg should be available no matter what mode your in. PS should be smart enough to change it to 8 bit for jpg files...IMO.

I agree with that, you're not the first to get caught by that. And after all, it does handle jpg's lack of support for layers with a warning and saving a copy.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 22, 2009
    Save for Web strips off all exif data. Always has I believe.

Use Save as in 8 bit mode to retain that information.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin