The good kind of dilemma..D90 and D200

helfrezhelfrez Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited May 22, 2009 in Cameras
Got myself in a weird situation in a good way. So I have a D90 that I am very fond of, but a funny thing happened today. I was able to buy a D200 (2230 actuation..checked a jpeg myself) + a Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8 and a 55-200(non vr tossed in for free) for a very very very very good price. Barely more than the 35-70 would cost new.

So now I am staring at these 2 cameras tryin to decide if it would be a mistake to let go of the D200. Being the good friend that I am, my plan was to sell the D200 body to a friend of my who wants to upgrade from his D50. He is giving me half what i paid in cash + the D50 body (decent body I could use for a backup and for the GF to use).

Anyone think it would be insane to get rid of the D200 instead of the D90. The D90 is technically superior to the D200 in many ways, and the image quality is very close to the D300, but the D200 is a monster in and of itself. Anyone want to chime in with a really good reason to keep the D200 that I may have not considered? I really like the versatility of the D90, and at some point if it became insufficient (even with good glass) I would go to a D700..the D200 seems like it would be a bit of a downgrade (no live view, high iso performance, dynamic range).

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    helfrez wrote:
    Got myself in a weird situation in a good way. So I have a D90 that I am very fond of, but a funny thing happened today. I was able to buy a D200 (2230 actuation..checked a jpeg myself) + a Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8 and a 55-200(non vr tossed in for free) for a very very very very good price. Barely more than the 35-70 would cost new.

So now I am staring at these 2 cameras tryin to decide if it would be a mistake to let go of the D200. Being the good friend that I am, my plan was to sell the D200 body to a friend of my who wants to upgrade from his D60. He is giving me half what i paid in cash + the D60 body (decent body I could use for a backup and for the GF to use).

Anyone think it would be insane to get rid of the D200 instead of the D90. The D90 is technically superior to the D200 in many ways, and the image quality is very close to the D300, but the D200 is a monster in and of itself. Anyone want to chime in with a really good reason to keep the D200 that I may have not considered? I really like the versatility of the D90, and at some point if it became insufficient (even with good glass) I would go to a D700..the D200 seems like it would be a bit of a downgrade (no live view, high iso performance, dynamic range).

I have both the d90 and d200 as well. The d200 is superior to the d90 in 4.5 ways

1) it has a buttom toggle to siwtch bwtween AF modes tha the d90 has to do through menu
    2) it has a weather sealed body
    3) it has more robust AF system
    4) it has faster fps
    4.5) it is a pro body that doesn't have options for "night time mode", "macro mode" "baby mode" etc

The D90 is better or the same in all other avenues. The salient points being:
    1) better sensor..thus better ISO performance and marginally better IQ
    2) much better LCD
    3) HD video
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    You should be careful because not all the lenses will work on the D60.
  • helfrezhelfrez Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I have both the d90 and d200 as well. The d200 is superior to the d90 in 4.5 ways

1) it has a buttom toggle to siwtch bwtween AF modes tha the d90 has to do through menu
    2) it has a weather sealed body
    3) it has more robust AF system
    4) it has faster fps
    4.5) it is a pro body that doesn't have options for "night time mode", "macro mode" "baby mode" etc

The D90 is better or the same in all other avenues. The salient points being:
    1) better sensor..thus better ISO performance and marginally better IQ
    2) much better LCD
    3) HD video

4.5-3=1.5 so more like 1.5 ways? lol jk. I've got a week before he gets back in town to play around with both. The faster fps isn't as big of an issue as the high iso performance. I have been shooting more and more sports stuff. The D300 sensor in the D90 handles moving targets with easy, any experiences shooting high iso with the D200?

The AF mode switching isn't something that has annoyed me thus far as i hotkey it.

Weather sealing is one to consider, but I have yet to have/want to shoot in inclement weather.

As for baby modes, to be honest, as l33t as we all like to be or appear, it as handy sometimes to be able to pick up the camera in a hurry and fire off shots without monkeying with settings. We all know that a decent shot is always better than a missed shot! 11doh.gif
    edited May 22, 2009

Yeah lack of a focus motor is a bummer for sure, but the d60 body is more of a freebie. I am really just "buying down" the price of the 35-70mm f/2.8 with the cash. I really just wanted the lens, but the seller wouldn't break up the package so I bought it all. With just the cash, I will be getting the 35-70 at half price.
    edited May 22, 2009

Correction! just got off the phone, the backup is a D50 not a D60! this is good news to me, focus motor issue averted lol. He's a great friend, so I'm going to let him have it. I have already become accustomed to shooting with my D90, and all my testing over the last 2hrs hasnt given me any good reason to switchover.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    I have a D90 and a D50. I still like keeping the D50 for the higher speed flash sync. Using radio triggers, the D90 syncs at 1/200 while the D50 will go to 1/1000. On camera sync speeds are 1/200 &1/500 respectively. I beleive the D200 syncs at 1/250th on or off camera.