26 Preliminary idea

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 26, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is rough and needs reprocessing (and/or reshooting) but as a concept? Title maybe "Prismatic" or "Splitting Light" (maybe)

And does anybody have any ideas for snooting a maglite that doesn't result in too much lightloss? I'd rather use my flash for power, but it's impossible to guess where the rainbow will be if I can't see it first - it has to hit the prism in EXACTLY the right spot or you only get white light....

543292687_jkc56-L.jpg

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Well darn. I've ordered a prism and now I'll just have to pass it on to my granddaughter. rolleyes1.gif

Sorry I can't help you on the technical side. I suspect that lots of trial and error may be the answer, but the more scientific types may be able to help. You might try the Techniques forum. I'll bet they can help.

Whatever, I have faith that you will come up with something spectrum-a-cular!!

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Oh no! I'm sorry - I didn't mean to step on anybody's toes...

I THOUGHT my mom had one (she used to) but that panned out and I was beating my head against that brick wall this afternoon as I messed around with filters and gels. Then I suddenly thought of our local educational bookstore, and sure enough - they had a whole bunch of stuff.

Sorry, Virginia! :hide :tiptoe (then again, maybe this will SUCK and I'll abandon it. I'll keep you posted :D)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Good heavens. I don't feel in the least proprietary about the idea. I'm sure we aren't the only two to think of using a prism!! And no one has a claim on an idea for a challenge photo.

Go for it. I'm still thinking of a number of possibilities and even if I and others decide to use a prism, there is nothing wrong with two or more interpretations! We could have our own challenge within a challenge!

Virginia

PS - I rather like the picture that you posted. I can see why you might want to work on it a bit for the challenge, but it is an intriguing abstract that nails the theme.

Email
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Hi Diva
    Great idea.. and I agree nothing at all wrong with 2 or more people using the same methods. I am sure the end results will all be diverse and entertaining...

where is all of the brown coming from? I wonder if you used a black background if that would help to show off the prism?

As far as the mag light and getting it to narrow down to a focal point... well, I am no expert, but I have seen some photographers use tubes.. as a matter of fact I may have to do that with mine, but in a whole different way to project reflected light.. here if I understand you correctly, you need it to direct "direct" light.? try some tubes, you may have a lot of jerry rigging to do with it, but anything that will funnel only the center of the light would work, perhaps you can use electric tape to block out all the rest of the light except the very center beam? strap the tape across the front of the mag over and over in different directions until you have just a single beam in the middle that you can aim at the prism? or you could cut a whole in a cup? or a black piece of paper?

wow.. hope I did not confuse you....headscratch.gif

cant wait to see what you do with this..clap.gif

Kat
    edited May 22, 2009
    Kat, the brown was due to a very rough editing job and a lousy white point setting in curves. I was rushing to post before dinner and just wanted to do it fast :D

Here's another take on it. I'll tell you this - it is REALLY hard to get a prism to give you a rainbow on command unless you're in sunlight! Need to research this a bit more .

However, I kind of like the drama of this version, lack of rainbow notwithstanding:

543369368_bPMPU-L.jpg
    edited May 22, 2009
    Both
    Both gorgeous and competitive Diva... Nice work... I guess you have to have that sunlight for all of the color spectrum... never thought of that...

this is cool looking.... love the lines...thumb.gif

Kat
    edited May 22, 2009
    Both gorgeous and competitive Diva... Nice work... I guess you have to have that sunlight for all of the color spectrum... never thought of that...

this is cool looking.... love the lines...thumb.gif

Kat

No, I managed it earlier with the flashlight - you just have to hit EXACTLY the right spot and I don't seem to be so good with nailing it!

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure if this will be "it" or not, but at least I've got some ideas now. Phew!
    edited May 22, 2009
    Awesome
    ohhh... ok, well in that case try laying it down on its side, ya know like the way they did it for the Pink Floyd album cover..???

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thedarksideofoz.com/img/Pink_Floyd-Dark_Side_of_the_Moon-sm_LG.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thedarksideofoz.com/DSOZ/Pink%2520Floyd%2520-%2520Dark%2520Side%2520Of%2520The%2520Moon.html&usg=__oxhqzkkMBxopqLPazJZ52j_KYOs=&h=300&w=295&sz=12&hl=en&start=16&um=1&tbnid=3anL4hMwCyAPWM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpink%2Bfloyd%2Bprism%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

maybe that is the angle you need? hope I inserted that link right..

I dunno...look forward to seeing what you do with it...wings.gif

Kat...
    edited May 23, 2009
    Another variant:

543863239_ciXU5-L.jpg

The blob of light is a happy accident, and just what happened to the beam of the maglite when I messed around in curves :D Does it work or is it just too psychadelic? headscratch.gif

Last, what I worked on yesterday when I thought I could'nt find a prism. It's simpler but I still kind of like it;. The "modified light" is a CTO gelled speedlight (it wasn't golden hour at the time, but that's what I wanted it to look at). Thoughts?

543865583_v63Qi-L.jpg
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Diva - I'm gaining an appreciation of how difficult it must be to work with that prism. Can't wait to see what you end up with.mwink.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 23, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Can't wait to see what you end up with.mwink.gif

At this rate, probably a portrait using a reflector. :yikes rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 23, 2009
    I think that blob "as you call it" of light is too distracting from the prism light... especially since the prism is so small in comparison. If the blob was a complementing color like a blue it might work..

Just a note: I do like that blue light prism one above.. the shards of light are neat.

I like the rose, very pretty shot of a young rose.. however, I need more info to understand the type of lighting and colors you are going for with it, because I have not heard much about gel light.. what is that? and what effect is normal for shooting with that? I do like the detail in the rose, one thing the right side looks a little blown out and it loses detail, perhaps you can bump that in curves..?

look forward to seeing what else you post..

Kat
    edited May 23, 2009
    No blown areas on this calibrated monitor (it's a light peachy colour, but not actually blown out) - anybody else like to weigh in on that? Ugh - the one thing I hate about digital photography is "the monitor factor"!!

"Gelling" a flash is literally that - like a filter, only on your flash. This was a 3/4 CTO (colour temperature orange, or warming). It changes the colour of the light as the flash fires through it. This was actually taken in quite broad 3pm full sun; the gel was to create the illusion of early morning or late afternoon "golden" light. Not sure it works, but it's still kind of a neat picture for me of my rosebuds :D

The blue one is my favorite at the moment too. There's one more contender, but haven't processed it yet. We'll see :D
    edited May 23, 2009
    Tell me about it.. I sometimes wonder if everything I shoot just looks good to me on my end of "this" monitor and looks like caccaaaa to everyone else.... It makes it difficult, and what happens if the judges are on uncalibrated monitors, in that case we all dog..ha ha ha..rolleyes1.gifrofl

seriously.. it looks beautiful rose color and then I see peach all on the base far left and around to the right and then as I look up from the base, that one dividing line starts to look blown to me... "however" that just may be my monitor too..I only calibrated with software and then online calibration, but not digitally yet.. I don't own one of those yet, though it is on my list for when I start shooting prints..

so hopefully someone else will chime in....

look forward to your next ones too.... This is warm up,,, after all.. Laughing.gifwings.gif

I just got done shooting a frog and tadpoles under black light, lets see how these will turn out.. and I am trying a shell on the green back like you suggested too...

Kat
    edited May 23, 2009
    forgot to mention.. it worked because it does look like early morning to me... very heavenly... thanks for explaining..

Kat
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    This one is awesome
    divamum wrote:
    Kat, the brown was due to a very rough editing job and a lousy white point setting in curves. I was rushing to post before dinner and just wanted to do it fast :D

Here's another take on it. I'll tell you this - it is REALLY hard to get a prism to give you a rainbow on command unless you're in sunlight! Need to research this a bit more .

However, I kind of like the drama of this version, lack of rainbow notwithstanding:

543369368_bPMPU-L.jpg
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif I really love this one. Spot on for this contest!
    edited May 26, 2009
    Thanks boys! I think I'm happier with my film noir shot, but this one's not out of the running yet, I guess. Man, that prism was a pain to work with - SO HARD to focus the light exactly where it needed to go.