Question from a NOOB in NZ

ShaggieShaggie Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited May 23, 2009 in Cameras
Hi all!

Having been a member on ADVRider for quite a while has lead me here via our friend Baldy (hi Baldy! :wave ).

Am i allowed a Point and Shoot question in amongst all this 'serious' camera equipment?:bow

I have a Canon A650is - as far as i can see, it has a max exposure time of only 15 seconds....

is there any 'hack' I can do to extend this? I'd love to do some night exposures but 15 seconds is just not enough....right?

thanks again for letting me butt my ugly nooby-ness in here!

edit: better show you a pic i guess:

taken BY me
ChurchSunrise.jpg

taken OF me doing what i love most:
farcanal.jpg

Cheers

Shane
NZ

Comments

• thedudethedude Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I can't provide you any help with that question, but I really like those pictures. Particularly the second one has a very nice balance of tones and colors.

Just goes to prove that a P&S is good enough to capture an image well, as long as you're in the right place at the right time. The best camera is the one you have with you... thumb.gif

(hmmm, now I started imagining how cool it would have been with some sense of speed in it...i.e.: a slower shutter speed to get a sense of movement on the bike)
  • ShaggieShaggie Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2009
    Thanks TheDude!

I'm heading off down that a way this coming weekend to my annual winter bike rally so hope to get a few more cool (ha) pics - going offroad this time tho so that will add a new challenge and perspective!

Cheers

Shane
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    You may want to check out CDHK, which is a hack of Canon firmware that provides lots of cool features and controls. It is completely reversible, non-permanent, so worth a try.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 23, 2009
    Shane, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

CMason is giving you very good advice. If it's possible to do with your camera, it's probably CHDK that can do it.

For really long exposures, film cameras can also be a solution. Many old film SLRs and some film rangefinder cameras can do "Bulb" (and "Time") exposures.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    CMason's advice seems like your best bet, but I just wanted to comment on your shots. Keep it up. You have skill.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]