DSS #26 Need Some Input BlackLight Work

KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
ok,, this time I am getting started earlier on this....!!!:wink

here is my first go at "one" idea that I am going to shoot for.. this is some
blacklight and color tube work.. I know I blew out the edge a little.. I have to work on that.. I did not mean to lose the detail on the far right edge, but it happened when I worked with curves and highlights.. so will have to redo that.. I will put a up a few more version of this one as I get it done..

what do you think, is it a strong enough entry? and does anyone see any improvement I can make on this ?:scratch any help or advice appreciated..

Thanks
Kat

543645889_HEiE2-L.jpg

ok,, here is another version Diva.. does this look better? anyone have a favorite of the two?

543713690_cGBKt-L.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    What an absolutely beautiful photograph.

My main nit is that I don't see "light" - I'm not reading it as blacklight, but as a well-lit still life against an orange background. Is there a way to shoot it so that the blacklight effect is more prominently obvious?

I think you've made a great start with this.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks Diva for the comments and compliments...

The first one actually took a huge amount of light modification.. I know your right, it is not readily apparent though.... Because I am working with black light, it throws out a part of the spectrum the eye cannot see.. so it is hard to make it visible that I am altering it.. in order to get it to show up, I had to place the shell on a true fluorescent background..then I had to hit it with two black light bulbs, then I had to use a reflector to bounce reflection light back onto the front and the, fluorescent color tubes to project the coloration onto it.. see, I cannot introduce regular lighting to it, or it will just fill the light spectrum back up and I only want UV coming through.. however, I had so much UV I had to put a filter on my lens to prevent "too" much blue from taking over.. so lots and lots of light modification going on here..rolleyes1.gif You would be amazed as to what the original shell looks like.. it is black washed with white stripes.. anyways,, taking your good advice into consideration, I attempted to take another shot I had and pump it back through photoshop, but this time I tried to leave the shadows and the reflection light that I bounced in, so that it shows up better.. did this help any?

let me know.. and thanks for the help..

Kat
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I love this idea and I think the second shot is spectacular, though I might lighten it up a bit myself. The colors seem just a little too saturated to me - but that is an artistic choice for you to make.

I also think it fits the theme (but I think the first version did too). You have clearly "modified the light" in both cases.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Virginia

Email
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I like it, very interesting. I am having a hard time choosing though.headscratch.gif
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited May 23, 2009
    Thank You..
    Hello and Thank you "all" for your great input.. I am kind of stuck on which one I like best too.. I love the first, the colors.. but I like the angle and depth of the second one... and even with the colors as they are in high black light contrast, it tends to grow on me.. gonna have to give it thought...

I will be posting the other idea soon, later tonight.. these will be similar but with totally different subjects. I think I have decided to stick with the blacklight to work with, although I still may shoot one of my shadow ideas, maybe..

you guys are awesome... thanks for the input you left...

Kat
    edited May 23, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I love this idea and I think the second shot is spectacular, though I might lighten it up a bit myself. The colors seem just a little too saturated to me - but that is an artistic choice for you to make.

I also think it fits the theme (but I think the first version did too). You have clearly "modified the light" in both cases.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia..

I want to bring that contrast down some too,,, thing is when I do that... it takes away my directional light..off to the side there... basically that is what I did on the first one.. maybe I can strike a balance?

will try.. thanks for the help...

Kat
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Kat, between these two I prefer the first one, I think (theyr'e both good, but that one is just gorgeous, despite my nits!)

I'm wondering - what happens with a GREEN background - is that possible? I just keep thinking of blacklight against that acid green (are they opposites on teh colour wheel?) could look.

Great idea. Wish I was having this much success with the prism - those of you who also thought of it, be glad you didn't .... it's a pain in the patoot to make it work!!! rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 23, 2009
    Thanks for the straight talk Diva.. Yeah.. I am thinking there is more detail in the first that I cannot seem to achieve in the second.. I am still working on some other options, you should try it sometime if you already haven't .... I mean shooting RAW under a black light.. I can do just about anything with these with the sliders.. there is so much more in it...it is weird..

well I am working on the "other" subjects presently, one is live and the others not....will post later this evening if I get them done..

Sorry to hear you are having such a time with that prism.. It does not surprise me though as I have heard for years that a prism is not as easy as people think to pull off.... I wish you luck... may the force be with you9496500-Ti.gif

Do you have any ( crystal ) in the house ? may work for a plan B ? kind of the same principle....

I will keep an eye out for what you get up here... and thanks for following my thread and helping me out too... much appreciated..thumb.gif

Kat
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Kat - I kinda like the saturated look of #2!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 23, 2009
    another one for #2
    oh boy.. I can tell this is going to be tough to decide.. perhaps I will be able to post a tie breaker this evening or by tomorrow.... thanks for the input whiterice..thumb.gifD

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Kat, both of those are FABULOUS! I think you might need to flip a coin. mwink.gif
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited May 25, 2009
    Thank you Linda and Brian... appreciate the support...

I will be entering the top one I think... only if my shadow shoot does not pan out... we will see.. I will post those hopefully by tomorrow.. narrowing it down..

Kat
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Smart choice!
    I think the first one is the one to go with. I love what the lighting does to the textures!

Thank you for making me feel welcome in the forum today!
    edited May 27, 2009
    Thanks for the input Jeff.. and your welcome...

If I go with the shells,,, I am thinking of the first one too.. however, I have one more shoot that I did and will be posting that soon for review too.. Be sure to check it out when I post it... Thanks!

Kat
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    very good Kat
    I look forward to checking back :ivar
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Hi Kat

I love the colors of #2, but love the sharpness of #1... leaning toward #2, but It's a tough call. Maybe a little less saturation and more vibrance & clarity in PS? That might lessen the power of the colors however. Either way thumb.gif for both.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10