Options

Sony Memory Stick

FritzcFritzc Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited June 28, 2005 in Cameras
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC - 707 and just bought a new 128 MB memory stick for it. I keep getting a "Memory Stick Error" message and a self diagnosis display of C:13:01 blinking on and off. I tried to format the memory stick but when I click on OK the same error message comes back. Also the instructions say to re-insert the memory stick several times and that does not work either.
Is it possibel the memory stick could have been damaged when I bought it? :dunno I purchased it some time ago and doubt if I can find the receipt any more. I did not use the memory stick right away but probably should have.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    I had a memory stick pro do this to me. It was a bad stick and I returned it for a replacement. Don't know if that helps you now or not ne_nau.gif

Fritzc wrote:
    I have a Sony Cybershot DSC - 707 and just bought a new 128 MB memory stick for it. I keep getting a "Memory Stick Error" message and a self diagnosis display of C:13:01 blinking on and off. I tried to format the memory stick but when I click on OK the same error message comes back. Also the instructions say to re-insert the memory stick several times and that does not work either.
    Is it possibel the memory stick could have been damaged when I bought it? ne_nau.gif I purchased it some time ago and doubt if I can find the receipt any more. I did not use the memory stick right away but probably should have.
    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited June 12, 2005
    What brand of stick is it? Warranties vary from all the mfgr's.

I've never had that problem (yet). From what I've dug up or read elsewhere, the c:13:01 error is unrecoverable. Was this ever formatted in the card reader?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2005
    Thanks for the response.
    "Was this ever formatted in the card reader?" David, these are your words and I do not understand what you mean. What is a card reader?
    I appreciate your help!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Fritzc wrote:
    "Was this ever formatted in the card reader?" David, these are your words and I do not understand what you mean. What is a card reader?
    I appreciate your help!

we'll take that as a "no" lol3.gif

but it's important, otherwise, david wouldn't have asked: what brand are you using? is it a plain vanilla memory stick, or a memory stick "pro"?
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2005
    Fritz, a card reader is a USB, or built-in computer accessory that memory cards (such as Sony's Memory Stick) are placed into, to read the files into a computer. Most are stand-alone devices, and have 7-12 types of memory cards supported via about 4 slots. Not only can information go *into* the computer from the memory card - files can also move from the computer into a card. Cards can also be re-formatted from the computer through the card reader (but shouldn't... see below).

Well, the reason I asked above is that the preferred formatting method for memory cards is always *in* the camera. Formatting memory cards (MS, MS Pro, CF, etc.) in a card reader *can* be risky. In other words, computer formatting methods and camera firmware formatting methods don't all work the same way. There have been countless reports of card errors due to *not* formatting in-camera.

That said, cards can become corrupt in other ways. Writing errors, downloading/uploading errors, heat, cold, corrosion, vibration, cases get micro-cracks from dropping, flexing and twisting, and even the old fashioned odd defective card from the manufacturer. I'm amazed that cards actually work for as long as they do, considering what people do with these things.

Sounds like you are experiencing a defective card. Try to get the manufacturer to replace it.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Sounds like you are experiencing a defective card. Try to get the manufacturer to replace it.
    Thanks for the favor of a response to all of you. I went back to the business and received an instore refund. The associate opened up all the memorysticks and they all did the same thing and another associate informed us that he also had returned a defective memory stick. They are going to try and contact the company and find out what is wrong. The brand name is Synas or Synos (not sure of spelling) and called a Magic Gate. It is supposed to be new high speed style of memory stick. I now know what a card reader is and not sure of the value of it for me unless it is a way of storing lots of pics for later downloading. I usually pop into a Office Max or other photo store and put my pictures on a disc.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    Fritzc wrote:
    Thanks for the favor of a response to all of you. I went back to the business and received an instore refund. The associate opened up all the memorysticks and they all did the same thing and another associate informed us that he also had returned a defective memory stick. They are going to try and contact the company and find out what is wrong. The brand name is Synas or Synos (not sure of spelling) and called a Magic Gate. It is supposed to be new high speed style of memory stick. I now know what a card reader is and not sure of the value of it for me unless it is a way of storing lots of pics for later downloading. I usually pop into a Office Max or other photo store and put my pictures on a disc.
    Yes, they'll all do that, and they're not defective. The magic gate spec'd stick is for music content security. It is also part of the Memory Stick Pro specification. Those don't work with 707's. They will work with the Sony 717 and the 828, but your camera is older, so it's a no-go.

Stick with (pun) the original memory stick, or the memory stick 256 (2 x 128), called "memory stick select" design only.

a resource for you...
    http://www.memorystick.org/eng/aboutms/family.html
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    SafariSafari Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Fritzc wrote:
    and called a Magic Gate. It is supposed to be new high speed style of memory stick. I now know what a card reader is and not sure of the value of it for me unless it is a way of storing lots of pics for later downloading.
    "Magic Gate" is a copy-protection software which I think is standard on all or most newer memory sticks. Many users resent the space it uses. I haven't seen or heard any users who actually use and like it, or even seem to know exactly what it does.
    A card reader does not store pics, it's just a way of connecting a memory stick or other small memory device to a computer without having to connect the camera to the computer - and it generally provides faster transfer between computer and memory stick than the camera does. There are other devices with various proprietary names like "Photo Bank", "Photo Vault", that serve primarily as portable storage and ALSO function as card readers. Card readers are inexpensive, storage is not inexpensive.
  • Options
    Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Sony Memory Stick Pro
    Safari wrote:
    "Magic Gate" is a copy-protection software which I think is standard on all or most newer memory sticks. Many users resent the space it uses. I haven't seen or heard any users who actually use and like it, or even seem to know exactly what it does.
    A card reader does not store pics, it's just a way of connecting a memory stick or other small memory device to a computer without having to connect the camera to the computer - and it generally provides faster transfer between computer and memory stick than the camera does. There are other devices with various proprietary names like "Photo Bank", "Photo Vault", that serve primarily as portable storage and ALSO function as card readers. Card readers are inexpensive, storage is not inexpensive.
    On another note:

I was at the park today working on my street photography skills (getting over my shyness more likely) and trying out my new 1gb memory stick pro. There were a couple of cute kids playing some b-ball and I just snapped a few nothing serious---just fooling around

Anyway, I get home and try to upload my pics (not from a reader) and notice that about 8 of my images from MSPRO aren't showing up on Windows XP. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,
    Stacey
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Stacey, my 1GB stick works fine in my 717 and I have not noticed any loss of shots.
    Stacey L wrote:
    On another note:

I was at the park today working on my street photography skills (getting over my shyness more likely) and trying out my new 1gb memory stick pro. There were a couple of cute kids playing some b-ball and I just snapped a few nothing serious---just fooling around

Anyway, I get home and try to upload my pics (not from a reader) and notice that about 8 of my images from MSPRO aren't showing up on Windows XP. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,
    Stacey
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.