DSS #26 - Crystal Light

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited May 24, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I wanted to work with a prism this time, but Divamum beat me to it. No big deal, I'd also been thinking about "Painting with light" for this one. Here's something I spent an hour on tonight. It's a crystal lamp in my Flat that I "painted" in a darkened room. There would still be a lot of work to do, but does it have potential?

543727688_R3xbj-XL.jpg

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Yes, I think there is potential. You have lots of little crystals to work with and each one has the potential of modifying the light.

You might try gelling your light source - maybe changing gel colors during the period you are painting with your light.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Virginia

Email
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    very nice
    really neat,, and I agree it has potential, but I don't get what you mean by "you painted it" it looks like a normal crystal light, but kind of frosty.. it is pretty...

Kat
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Love the idea (and GMTA - I had a crystal necklace as one of my next ideas if I hadn't found the prism to work with!)

I just want some more sparklies to bring the crystal to life. Star filter? Light from diifferent angles? Not sure*how* one would do that, but it would sure be pretty :D
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    really neat,, and I agree it has potential, but I don't get what you mean by "you painted it" it looks like a normal crystal light, but kind of frosty.. it is pretty...

Kat

Do a search on "light painting" and it will explain it pretty well. There are some fun things that can be done.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Here's an update from tonight's efforts. This is definitely an art and not a science. I think I have getting the exposure right, but I've stepped into frame so many times with the speedlight and then I'll forget where the on-switch is on the flashlight and then I'll bump into the tripod with my foot as I hurry around inside of 30 seconds.

Heading in the right direction? Still worth pursuing?

544514498_rv98s-XL.jpg
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I like it, I even like the different color reflected in it.

g
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Absolutely yes. I like the revised photo a lot, but why not play with it some more and see what else you come up with. You are on to something fun and you are definitely modifying the light!

Virginia

Email
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    how funny... you sound like me on yesterday's shoot.. don't ya just love long exposures...? Try working with a frog who would not stand still on a long exposure in the dark.. it ended up a wash... shooting something else again today..

I agree... have fun with it... you still have time.. and you are moving in the right direction and doing a great job of modifying.. I really like what you have here already too... very "moody" and "creative"... l like that mauve color on the glass crystals...nice..thumb.gif

Kat