Buttercup.. 1st attempt

HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited May 25, 2009 in Holy Macro
Wanted to see what you guys thought. 1st time posting, been lurking for a few weeks though as a guest. Got my new camera about a month ago and have been playing around since then.

The sunlight outside was way to much so I cut the flower (I think its actually a weed) and brought it inside. I put the flower in front of a window for some soft light.

The setup was as follows:
Nikon D300
Tamron AF90mm Macro
F/40
4 secs
no flash

open to all comments even if they are bad ones.. cant get better with out them.

thanks
Howitzer.
http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Welcome to the forum :)- good focus and exposre on the fly (these bright yellow flowers can be very hard). Think the shot is slightly spoilt by the background. For shots like this I often use a curved sheet of paper (sometime coloured) for the background.
    Brian v.
  • HowitzerHowitzer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    yeah i know the background was lame.. i cropped the photo to get most of it out.. its actually a pair of vice grips holding the flower.. :) i thought it added a little diversity.. the softness of the flower and the cold hard steel... (wink wink). roses are starting to come into bloom now so I will have more than half inch flowers to play with.

thank you for the feed back.
    http://3dogphotos.smugmug.com

Equipment: a whole bunch of black cylinders full of polished glass that cost way to much that I just had to have...
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Howitzer wrote:
    Wanted to see what you guys thought. 1st time posting, been lurking for a few weeks though as a guest. Got my new camera about a month ago and have been playing around since then.

The sunlight outside was way to much so I cut the flower (I think its actually a weed) and brought it inside. I put the flower in front of a window for some soft light.

The setup was as follows:
    Nikon D300
    Tamron AF90mm Macro
    F/40
    4 secs
    no flash

open to all comments even if they are bad ones.. cant get better with out them.

thanks
    Howitzer.

Hi there Howitzer, and welcome to the Dgrin Forum.
    I see Brian has already offered you up some very very good advice.
    Glad to see your posting and not lurking any more too clap.gif

You chose a not so easy to photograph subject ( ALL YELLOW )

Macro is very addictive, hope you keep the bug (so to speak rolleyes1.gif )
    and continue posting.

Thanks for sharing, keep shooting thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin