Old large format?

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited May 25, 2009 in Cameras
Just found this old camera in a garage sale up the street. Not sure what I'll do with it yet beyond just getting it cleaned up. In the meantime, does anyone know what it is? I can't find any identifying markings whatsoever. I gather it was used for high school and department store portraits once upon a time.

Thanks!

543888289_Z7Vkh-XL.jpg
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 23, 2009
    drdoak wrote:
    Just found this old camera in a garage sale up the street. Not sure what I'll do with it yet beyond just getting it cleaned up. In the meantime, does anyone know what it is? I can't find any identifying markings whatsoever. I gather it was used for high school and department store portraits once upon a time.

Thanks!

543888289_Z7Vkh-XL.jpg

Your image does not show up until I copy and paste the URL, so you may want to check the settings in your gallery.

Once I was able to look at the image I do believe that it is, or is similar to, a "Gowlandflex" 4" x 5" portrait camera with the reflex finder. If it is one of these it has lost its nameplate.

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Your image does not show up until I copy and paste the URL, so you may want to check the settings in your gallery.

Once I was able to look at the image I do believe that it is, or is similar to, a "Gowlandflex" 4" x 5" portrait camera with the reflex finder. If it is one of these it has lost its nameplate.

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html

FIxed the picture problem... Had external links switched off for some reason.

It does bear a strong resemlance to those cameras, though I don't see any Gowlands in there with a single bellows for both lenses (something I didn't capture in the photo of mine). Were most cameras of this type pretty much identical, or was there distinct variation between brands?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 24, 2009
    drdoak wrote:
    FIxed the picture problem... Had external links switched off for some reason.

It does bear a strong resemlance to those cameras, though I don't see any Gowlands in there with a single bellows for both lenses (something I didn't capture in the photo of mine). Were most cameras of this type pretty much identical, or was there distinct variation between brands?

I honestly don't know. You might contact Gowland and exchange your images and maybe they can help with identification.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I honestly don't know. You might contact Gowland and exchange your images and maybe they can help with identification.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for your help, I'd be completely lost as to where to even start with this thing!
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    drdoak wrote:
    Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for your help, I'd be completely lost as to where to even start with this thing!
    Might even try http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/ to ask the question..