Experimenting with TTV

whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited June 12, 2009 in People
I've had SO MUCH fun this past week learning through-the-viewfinder (TTV) photography. Just had to share to see if anyone else had tried this before.

Here are a few shots - can't tell you how much fun this is!

542617244_vEeRj-M.jpg

542617326_wWeCS-M.jpg

and this, my 3 year-old checking to see if the chickens had layed any eggs:

542736650_cEEQw-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
- Christopher
My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    This is where you use a macro lens and shoot through the viewfinder of an old film camera, right? I've wanted to do it but never have. Your results are great, exactly the sort of thing I'd like to get if I try it. What camera are you shooting through? And what lens are you using on your main camera?
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    This is where you use a macro lens and shoot through the viewfinder of an old film camera, right? I've wanted to do it but never have. Your results are great, exactly the sort of thing I'd like to get if I try it. What camera are you shooting through? And what lens are you using on your main camera?

Thanks Tim - I too like the results. And you're right, I'm using my DSLR to shoot the image in the viewfinder of an old Kodak Duaflex that I purchased off of ebay. I'm using a 100mm macro lens. Without a macro lens your focusing distance is too long, which requires a very long light blocking contraption that isn't easy to work with. My light blocking contraption is still long, maybe 16 inches, not because of the focusing distance, but because I can't get the entire viewfinder in the shot at a distance closer. ne_nau.gif

There's lots of great info online.
    - Christopher
    edited May 23, 2009
    Tim, BTW - just looked at some of your images thumb.gif . I think TTV would look great for more auto salvage yard shots.
    - Christopher
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I was experimenting with TtV last summer with my Canon S2 point and shoot. It takes some messing around with, but I loved it. I haven't tried it with my DSLR, but here are a few of my original test shots. My Duaflex glass is extremely clean, I think I need to get one that dirties it up more. I found that our family Camp had kind of a cool feel that lent itself to Ttv.

539616559_cZaKz-S.jpg

539616235_wRf5m-S.jpg

539612368_nH9Y9-S.jpg

539617380_mnabK-S.jpg
    edited June 12, 2009
    Hi Met! I agree, TTV is fun. Fun shots. thumb.gif

You're right, your Duaflex glass is much cleaner than mine.

Have you noticed the "ghosting" with your Duaflex because I don't notice it in your images.
    - Christopher