Tips on Buying from Private Party...

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in Cameras
Not sure where to ask this so I will ask here.

I am buying a lens from a forum member. I am going to pay them through Paypal. How this transaction typically carried out. Do I pay before he ships? Do I wait until he ships and then I pay?

I've made plenty of purchases through Paypal in the past, but never directly from a private party. I've only used Ebay and such in the past.

Thanks,
Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Not sure where to ask this so I will ask here.

I am buying a lens from a forum member. I am going to pay them through Paypal. How this transaction typically carried out. Do I pay before he ships? Do I wait until he ships and then I pay?

I've made plenty of purchases through Paypal in the past, but never directly from a private party. I've only used Ebay and such in the past.

Thanks,
    Alex

Whenever I've bought from a private party over the internet, I've paid first, and then they shipped the product. That's basically how it works with ebay as well. You have to pay first. Haven't got burned yet, but of course it's possible. I always try to be cautious. For instance, if someone's first post in the forum is trying to sell something and I can't find any other info on the person, I'm not going to take the chance. Really though, there's no guarantees. If you want 100% assurances you'll need to buy new or from keh.com or something like that.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I've used PP for private transactions for both sound and camera gear both as a buyer and seller and had no problems to date.

I will also say this much: the ONLY time I've ever had an ebay problem, Paypal absolutely made good on their promise to cover goods never received (the seller actually disappeared - nothign to do with cameras, but a kitchen faucet when we were remodelling!)

It is typical to pay the seller, then they ship. Tim's comments are dead on - look the seller's id up on other forums (eg FM) and ebay, and be sure to exchange enough correspondence that you get a feel for the seller, and make sure to FINALISE THE TRANSACTION BY EMAIL - email is legally binding, which forum PM's are not. Spell out all the terms (including shipping and other costs) even if it's all been said already. That email can serve as your "contract" in the event of a dispute.

Make sure the item(s) are shipped via an insured method, even if it costs a little more; worth it.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Cool. Your replies confirmed what I was thinking. The person I'm buying the lens from is a forum member and has been since 2007 so I am pretty sure I can trust him. I guess it's no riskier than buying something from Ebay.

Thanks for the replies.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Sellers usually requires payment before shipment. It is better that you have any reference on the seller like ebay feedback or forum participation. Then it comes down tocommunication and gut feeling dealing with people on internet. I have always done well with transactions. Have met a lot of nice people Good Luck
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • MannyWallaceMannyWallace Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2009
    I should have come to this thread before I made a purchase from a poster on here. While I'm confident that there's no funny business involved, you can never be too certain.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    if you have any doubts or concerns ask the seller straight out......I always ask if there is a warranty of any type....I am real suspicous of a listing that states like new but....selling strictly as is....no refunds or returns of any sort.

That tells me someting is not KOSHER:D...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Also check the Positive Feedback thread and post your experience to help others later.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Cool. Your replies confirmed what I was thinking. The person I'm buying the lens from is a forum member and has been since 2007 so I am pretty sure I can trust him. I guess it's no riskier than buying something from Ebay.

Thanks for the replies.
    Actually, IMO, it's a LOT LESS RISKY buying from another DGrinner than buying from someone on EBay ... especially if they have a decent posting history (the fact that they've been a registered DGrinner since '07 says nothing about their posting history).
    • Since they've been around since 2007 you have a pretty good idea of how much they contribute to the forum content. That, just by itself can give you a pretty good idea of what sort of person they are
    • The feedback thread is a good place to find out how previous trades went with that person. If they have a long history of good trades - well past performance can be a good indicator of future performance. Hmmm .... what's your trading history been - your seller may be interested in that informatoin :D
    • Finally, talk to the seller - PM / e-mail them with your contact information and arrange to actually talk on the phone. You can get another sense of the individual that way.
    • If in doubt - take a pass on the trade. Sometimes, it's better safe than sorry.
  • James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I know when I sell stuff on here communication is key. If I communicate well then the buyer will know I am legit. Most of us if not all here have a name and want to keep in good standing.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 28, 2009
    Every time I have bought/sold items here, I always offer my phone number in a PM to the other person. I bought a lens from another member that lives locally so I was able to check it out prior to purchase.