My favorite portraits (large)

OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
edited June 12, 2005 in People
Hi everyone.

I'm new here... and I am thoroughly enjoying my F828 and taking portraits. I have a bunch of beautiful friends who have been nice enough to pose for me. I am 17 with goals of being a photographer/web designer/digital media artist for a living.

These are my favorites, so far.

12-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg

10-vi.jpg

11-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

6-vi.jpg

7-vi.jpg

8-vi.jpg

9-vi.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Welcome to Dgrin!
    I'm glad you found your way here from STF:-)
    I like #1 the best.

However, I think it can be improved.
    Usually it's considered good that your subject should lower the chin rather that raising it.
    Another thing is that your model is positioned with her much feet closer to the camera than her head, which makes the feet look unproportionally big and the head - unproportionally small.
    I also found form the -very long - personal experience that women - usually - look much better on the picture if the shot is taken from the elevated (rather than from lower) position, when the camera is located at least at the eye level or higher.

HTH

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Oh, and btw..
    Unlike STF, there are no halpren-like trolls here, so post all you want, and you don't have to warn anybody that you did dare to post somtheing bigger than 120x96..:-)clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Hi everyone.

I'm new here... and I am thoroughly enjoying my F828 and taking portraits. I have a bunch of beautiful friends who have been nice enough to pose for me. I am 17 with goals of being a photographer/web designer/digital media artist for a living.

These are my favorites, so far.

12-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg

10-vi.jpg

11-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

6-vi.jpg

7-vi.jpg

8-vi.jpg

9-vi.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Priviet, Owen!
    Nice to meet you here! I think its a wonderful place for talking, learning and sharing your photos.
    I'm sure, you'll become a famous photographer/web designer/digital media artist, because straight away we can see that you have a 'creative eye' and eager desire to make good photos. Wish you all the best on your way!
    Now to the photos...
    Must agree with Nikolai.
    I like the #5.
    8 and 9 (on my opinion cold be better if the model had being placed according to the rule of thirds (oooph, sorry for my English:-).
    I also recommend you to use 3/4 face poses.
    #4 is a wonderful, but the eyes are in a center of the photo. Trey to crop it other way with eyes in 1/3 -2/3 place...
    You portraits are very good and I feel a competitor...
    Yuri
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Hi Owen. wave.gif

I agree with Yuri, the first one is the one I like the most. The composition, her body positioning and her expression are very nice. And she has a great smile in #3, a little too much blur for my taste. I also like the composition and the idea of the last one, perhaps her body positioning and expression aren't the most flattering, maybe you have another one where her smile looks more like it does in the one above?

You have some very nice stuff here, Owen. Keep shooting, I'd love to see more! nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Usually it's considered good that your subject should lower the chin rather that raising it.
    Another thing is that your model is positioned with her much feet closer to the camera than her head, which makes the feet look unproportionally big and the head - unproportionally small.
    I also found form the -very long - personal experience that women - usually - look much better on the picture if the shot is taken from the elevated (rather than from lower) position, when the camera is located at least at the eye level or higher.
    Thanks, Nik! I will take these things into consideration!
    I'm sure, you'll become a famous photographer/web designer/digital media artist, because straight away we can see that you have a 'creative eye' and eager desire to make good photos. Wish you all the best on your way!
    Thanks, Yuri. It's safe to say that you're my idol and mentor whether you knew that or not. Whenever I am out shooting I think about the shots you post. One thing I notice about your shots if that it's about the eyes. Must focus on the eyes.
    I like the #5.
    8 and 9 (on my opinion cold be better if the model had being placed according to the rule of thirds (oooph, sorry for my English:-).
    I also recommend you to use 3/4 face poses.
    Could you elaborate on the 3/4 face pose?
    You portraits are very good and I feel a competitor...
    Yuri
    Thank you, Yuri! I hope to someday be as good and well recognized as you!
    wxwax wrote:
    And she has a great smile in #3, a little too much blur for my taste.
    The shot was actually blurry to begin with.. I figured a soft focus was the only way to make it look intentional. yelrotflmao.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    You have some very nice stuff here, Owen. Keep shooting, I'd love to see more! nod.gif
    Gladly!

Thanks everyone!
  • LinenLinen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    1.I really like the angle in number 1. It looks like you might have focused on her feet. Her face is a little soft (I could be wrong though it's hard to tell at this size)
    2.Number two Looks like you tried to clean up her skin but it looks a little plastic.
    3.I really like the compostion of number three but I don't like the hot spots on her face. If you had turned her face a tad they wouldn't of been there
    4. Great expression! I would rather you had cut off her head then her chin though.
    6. a more creative crop would make this pop a little better.
    7.Beautiful color!!!! I bet this would look wonderful converted to BW and cropped a little different
    8. this is my favorite one I think. My only CC is your eye is draw to the lightest part of the photo which is away from the model. putting her on the other side in the shade shooting in so you still get the doorways might of worked a little better.
    Many of them would draw you in more if they were cropped differently using the rule of thirds or golden mean for example.
    These are beautiful and the models are lovely too! Thank you for sharing them!
    Hope I didn't give to much CC. I really like when people are honest with me with what they see. But I understand if you dont' care for it. If this offends you I can take it down.
    Danielle
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Of course I am NOT offended.

We all have to learn somehow!

Can you explain the golden mean or rule of thirds?

Owen
  • LinenLinen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    I'm so glad I get nervous when I post CC but I love it myself because that is how I learned most of what I now know. Do a search in Google.com and a ton of info will come up on those rules. Here is a site to a link that has an Ps action you can run on your photos to see if it fits the rule of thirds.
    http://atncentral.com/
    It also has a few other actions I really like. HTH
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Can you explain the golden mean or rule of thirds?

Here's a link from Google:
    http://www.betterphoto.com/exploring/tips/thirds.asp
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Owen
    Welcome to Dgrin
    Great job on these
    All are great
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks
    Fred