#26 C&c

bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
edited May 25, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took this sunrise HDR set this morning. Gratiously the seagull sat patiently through all 13 exposures. I used picturenaut to HDR merge them and this is the final output without any PP. C&C please. :D

Dawn Welcoming Seattle to a New Day

543921137_aMWgP-XL.jpg

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Only see a red "X". :cry
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I don't see anything either.... I don't even see an "x"

?

Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Yeah...that's the picture. rolleyes1.gif

Actually I think I had to unlock my gallery. Hopefully it's displaying now.
    edited May 23, 2009
    I just take pictures as a hobby, I have no HDR experience. Having said that, WOW - what a beautiful picture.:D

I think though that the boat detracts from the image, as well as the tallest post on the pier. I might considering cloning.

Thanks for sharing.
    - Christopher
    edited May 23, 2009
    I agree.. it took me some hunting to see the boat, once I did, I agree burn that in definitely.. also the larger pole is distracting, it really should be cropped "or" cloned out...

other than that nice.. and you did such a nice job on that water and sky...!!!

I also noticed that if you scroll your screen up to the top of the polls you have yourself a nice looking silhouette skyline as well...

I really like the colors...

Nice
    Kat
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    That is one sweet shot. I had a chance to be up in that area this weekend. But just could not do it. I had driven 2500 mile in the last couple weeks for work. I decided to stay home. No I am kicking myself after seeing this.
    I would see if the boat could be brought up a bit too. If you did get rid of the tallest post it would make the needle stand out more. SInce we are clone out stuff the cranes on top of the building would be easy to eliminate too.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    It's a very nice capture. While I like the full range of colors, I think the image may benefit if you tried cropping out the blue portion of the sky and put the buildings in the top 3rd of the frame. The result would be an overall warmer tone and less distracting space above the focal point on the horizon. Just a thought...ne_nau.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Scott MacKenzieScott MacKenzie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Kudos!
    Perhaps Chase Jarvis can shout you a beer for this one!
    I like images that feel like I am the Walrus sounds.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Absolutely beautiful sunrise shot. I agree with the comments about the crop, and Benjer's suggestion to experiment with losing the top of the sky is good, too (just scrolling it down on my screen, that also seems to emphasise the needle, too).

My only question: how does it fit the theme - how is the light actually modified? I grant this is probably more my problem rather than the picture's - I'm having trouble with this theme in wrapping my head around anything other than the literal idea of showing that the light is modified rather than simply a picture with attractive light.....
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Absolutely beautiful sunrise shot. I agree with the comments about the crop, and Benjer's suggestion to experiment with losing the top of the sky is good, too (just scrolling it down on my screen, that also seems to emphasise the needle, too).

My only question: how does it fit the theme - how is the light actually modified? I grant this is probably more my problem rather than the picture's - I'm having trouble with this theme in wrapping my head around anything other than the literal idea of showing that the light is modified rather than simply a picture with attractive light.....

Well, the water is reflecting the light, the clouds & sky are diffusing and reflecting the light...

While a strict interpretation of the theme might not be possible, this photo is primarily a picture "of light" and how it is interacting with various natural diffusers and reflectors, imho, ymmv, etc. etc.

At any rate, nice pic! thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Isn't HDR a form of modifying the light? headscratch.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited May 24, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I think that is the $64K question for this round. My only answer would be maybe that a sunrise photo shows how the sunlight is modified because of the angle that the light is hitting the atmosphere. ne_nau.gif

I was going to do the prism thing, but taken. Then I was going to paint a lanscape on my wall using liquid tide and a blacklight (very cool!)...taken.

I will definitely see about cropping and cloning/burning. Very good ideas!:D
    edited May 24, 2009
    So I did a little cloning. I'm not that skilled yet at it, but this is what I came up with:

544614684_rJuMe-XL.jpg
    edited May 24, 2009
    I don't know either.. I thought is was specific, but then from what I have seen said on the board, I am beginning to wonder.. I thought it said "modify" the light not shoot it being modified...I thought it was supposed to help us learn to modify it because it is such a prized skill in photography.., but then, like I said from what I have read, I am just not sure.... I would think that HDR is modifying, kind of, more like multiplying thus modifying....

Anyways,, that is what tripped me up in the "energy" round, every time I thought of something to shoot, someone beat me to it.. so I would think it does not matter how many people use the same idea, as they will all turn out unique anyways...I did black light, but I am still re shooting today with shadows and some floral too with directional lighting, so I say go for it with your other ideas too...

that tide thing sounds cool and there are all kinds of different ways to shoot prisms too..

Whatever you decide or come up with, best of luck on it... thumb.gif

Kat
    edited May 24, 2009
    Your rework is looking great... I still think the boat distracts from the black in the silhouette though.. my eyes are pulled to it because of the way it sits right on top of that pole... just my two cents..:D:D
    edited May 24, 2009
    Yeah...mine too. I have a little work to do.

My original entry was going to be a time lapse sunset:

http://bf2015.smugmug.com/gallery/8226717_oVXSg/1/544612392_NfACs#544612392_NfACs-A-LB

But Llywellyn said it had to be a still. Oh well...still very cool! 1153 still shots over a 3 hour period. Would have been longer but I ran out of battery. :(
    edited May 24, 2009
    Ok. Here's the "final" (maybe) for this photo.

Thoughts? I've looked at this photo for so long now that it has lost its Wow factor with me, so C&C is important now.:D

544662434_atZDJ-XL.jpg
  • Scott MacKenzieScott MacKenzie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Fortunately, I still get to enjoy its Wowness!
    I like images that feel like I am the Walrus sounds.
    edited May 24, 2009
    WOW! Very nice rework, I like the crop, great cloning work.:D

1 tiny thought, just my opinion, I would lose the crane on the far left closest to the needle - pulls my attention away unnecessarily.
    - Christopher
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Rework is terrific. thumb.gif

And believe me, if anybody else wants to play with prisms, BE MY GUEST! I'm about ready to throw the thing out the window, I'm so frustrated :bash :D
    edited May 24, 2009
    So how far you think you can throw it Diva.. lol.... how funny.... I can feel your frustration... I am back to my drawing board too this evening.. fun fun...

So, Brian.. your re-work is nice....and your cloning worked out smoothly...
    I agree about that crane, but only because it is bright colored and dead center.

The other stuff up top on those buildings looks fine because it matches the silhouette. I know what your talking about with the wow factor... I go through that too once I spend soooo much time editing... that's why it helps me to shoot a few different ideas..so that I can step away from the others, then go back and take a fresh look.

I think it turned out nicely, and I cannot say enough about your time lapse video.. wow.. that was way cool,:cool the boats speeding by were funny to watch and the light show at the end was gorgeous... I have never done one of those, but it sure looks like "a ton of work"...... thanks for sharing.

Well, Good luck with it...thumb.gif

Kat
    edited May 24, 2009
    Thanks everybody for your c&c. Everybodys ideas were great and I actually used all of them.

I've been looking at some of the other threads and postings, and it's definitely going to be interesting how the judges interpret this challenge.

I can't wait to see all of the other entries. Good luck to everybody!:D

Kat...the time lapse was actually a lot of work. I don't have a remote, so I had to use the timer on my camera for every shot. I think it came out to be 1 shot every 7 seconds (for 3 hours). I got the idea from a photographer I met at Kerry Park. His time lapse is really good!

http://www.chrisraezer.org/time/time.php
    edited May 24, 2009
    OMGOSH........ Now that's "devotion" to the art of photography...clap.gif

you must be one patient individual.. it was awesome... would like to see others if you ever do that again.. they are amazing.. thumb.gif

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Your rework is looking great... I still think the boat distracts from the black in the silhouette though.. my eyes are pulled to it because of the way it sits right on top of that pole... just my two cents..:D:D
    wow, I fianlly saw it when you pointed out it was at the top of the pole. My eyes must be worse than I thought because I flat couldn't find it. It was like where's waldo in a candycane factory.
    edited May 25, 2009
    Where's Waldo? your too funny...rolleyes1.gifD

how's your entry coming along? have not seen it..
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Where's Waldo? your too funny...rolleyes1.gifD

how's your entry coming along? have not seen it..
    Entry... what entry???
    Laughing.gif... still thinking. I may not make it this time. I've been so busy with kids and other stuff and nothing giving me a shot that would work for this.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Modifying the light. My interpretation of the theme is to do something active or passive to the lighting. If you direct the light onto a subject to change how the subject is lit and what the result looks like, that would obviously count. But if you use the camera or computer to create an effect, I would think that would count too. Example of the latter, a long exposure with light trails. I would think that HDR processing would fit the theme, because the end result--the wide dynamic range--is not what a point and shoot would pick up. Nice photo and processing.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited May 25, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Entry... what entry???
    Laughing.gif... still thinking. I may not make it this time. I've been so busy with kids and other stuff and nothing giving me a shot that would work for this.

Oooh no! You can't leave us empty!:cry I've been waiting to see a dnie thread for this round. You will find something. I always enjoy seeing what you enter. It just wouldn't be the same without an entry from you! friday.gif

:D
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    the thing with the boat... hmmm... i mean, part of HDR images is that you are trying to capture the details in the shadows as well as the details in the highlights. so, here on my personal monitor i can see the boat and the details in all the buildings, but i think on the monitor i have at work (which is a sad, uncalibrated monitor), i'm sure i'd lose them completely but still be able to see the boat.

i'm wondering whether you might be able to adjust the image at all to bring up some of the details in the buildings (without lightening the boat up too much) so they are a little clearer, even on the less-than-stellar monitors. also, we'd be able to see them better on the higher quality monitors.

EDIT: oh hey, there are two more pages of C&C and the boat issue has been resolved. sorry to be the punk in the group that didn't read through the whole chain before putting in her own two cents.... :-/
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    Ok. Here's the "final" (maybe) for this photo.

Love it! thumb.gif