GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
edited May 25, 2009 in Sports
y

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Glort wrote:
    For those of you that shoot for Profit as well as ( or rather than) pleasure, what have you found to be the most ( or least) profitable sports?

I am looking to try a number of different sports to see what works out best but I'm keen to take on any advise to give myself a head start.

I have read that a rule of thumb is the more expensive the sport is to participate in, ( EG, horses, Motorsport over soccer or say swimming) the better the sales. While I'm sure there is money to be made in any sport if the numbers and other factors are right, has anyone had what they think is particularly good luck with anything?

While there's some logic in that,I do shoot horses but would starve to death if that were my main focus. I have a friend who shoots football and wrestling and does very well with those sports. Now, if it were me... the only football shots I'd get would be tight-bums rolleyes1.gif 'cause I know nada about the game (and don't want to).
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    kiz5kiz5 Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Rugby, hockey, and tight football sportraits.
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I just recently starting shooting for some (very little) profit while shooting my two sons and their teammates. They compete in baseball, hockey, wrestling, and gymnastics. I find that it's not necessarily the sport but also the age of the children. My son has played hockey for 8 years now (since he was 6 years old) and I find that neither I nor do his teammates parents spend very much money on pictures unless there is an absolutely phenomenal picture of a key moment; we've just been bomarded for years with pictures at all of the tournaments. However, I see all of the Mite and Squirt player parents (younger kids - 10 and under) buying a lot. Same for gymnastics - the most advanced level gymnast's parents don't buy too many photos unless it really is a phenomenal shot but the beginner level gymnast's parents spend a ton.

Just my two cents as both photographer and parent.

Stephanie
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    It'l be the one you love, as that's what comes through..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    We have an exclusive on a high school here in Houston, but interestingly get a more sales (if lesser total value) from visiting teams. Granted, visiting teams are a much, much larger audience, but I initially expected a small percentage of sales going to the visitors; we just don't market to them as heavily.

Of course, the $200++ orders we receive are from our core clientele at the school. The key, I've found, is getting to the right parents at the right time. Senior parents are crazy about buying photos. In fact, we haven't had an over-$200 order from a parent whose son or daughter isn't a senior.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com