Options

Selling prints and unemployment?

rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited May 26, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Nevermind :patch
www.lonewolfstudios.us
Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
- George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"

Comments

• Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Not sure about the states but in the UK you can have as many businesses as you like. I'm a working architect (one of the few) and have just set up as a limited company for my photography. They're entirely seperate and if I was made redundant from my current job (a distinct possibility), the photography wouldn't affect and redundancy pay.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    rokklym wrote:
    So a couple days ago I got notice from my employer that July 20th is my last day of employment. I'm getting a 3 month severance package and then unemployment and I'm hoping to go to school after I get the boot.

I happened to be taking photos as a side business and its pretty slow, but the other day I was out for a motorcycle ride and took a photo with my point and shoot that has gotten very popular with my friends on face book and I've already sold 2 11x14 prints. I know thats not much, but those people are asking about other prints etc and hey, its good advertising.

I have a pro account on smugmug and I haven't set prices on the site yet, mainly because I'm not sure how having a side business will affect my unemployment compensation. There is a good chance that my sales won't be enough to affect anything but I really can't risk it.

Any hints, suggestions, words of wisdom?

each state is a bit different but Ks deducts 2$ for each 1 you make during a benefit week........until they decide to stop payments altoghether......best to just check with your UEI office on their current rules and regs.....or only accept cash............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    rokklym wrote:
    Yeah, I kind of figured that each state would be different. I might just have to have the sales go through me until the unemployment runs out. Thanks
    I find it interesting that you guys are openly discussing ways to defraud the government and hide income so you can collect more unemployment. In case it didn't cross your minds, that's illegal.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I find it interesting that you guys are openly discussing ways to defraud the government and hide income so you can collect more unemployment. In case it didn't cross your minds, that's illegal.

Absolutely. But stealing from an impersonal, larger-than-life entity that just booted you is pretty easy.

What they're proposing is wrong. That said, I empathize in the sense that those who "manage" money pay less than 20% a year while those who earn can pay up to 40%. If the richest of the rich can get that kind of break, why not let the little guy?
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    termina3 wrote:
    Absolutely. But stealing from an impersonal, larger-than-life entity that just booted you is pretty easy.

What they're proposing is wrong. That said, I empathize in the sense that those who "manage" money pay less than 20% a year while those who earn can pay up to 40%. If the richest of the rich can get that kind of break, why not let the little guy?
    We can all empathize with someone who lost their job. But that still doesn't mean I condone illegal activities as some form of retribution or entitlement.

It's flat out illegal. Many parts of life are unfair, but using that as a justification for doing something that's illegal or unethical is just wrong and much of civilized society starts to break down if we suddenly think that's OK and can all make our own rules anytime we've been dealt a bad hand.

You can see where this leads to. Why shouldn't the guy who had few chances at a decent education be allowed to rob banks then or defraud the welfare system or steal from the IRS?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    John.....it is not illegal to work an make money while collecting unemployment here....as I stated Ks deducts $2 for everyone you make.......make money turn it in and it is deducted off your weekly benefit.....they shut you off after several weeks of doing this to make you reapply and prove you weren't cheating and just turning in partial income....you show you only made X amount and BAM!!!! Your drawing your benefits again and paid full back benes.....it is not illegal.....it is the way it works........Spitir and Boeing both have made aggrements to allow workers to wrk 3 days and draw UEI benes with the state of Ks to keep from laying people off......

Of course I have no idea about your state....but UEI is state by state.....not federal govt......just like welfare......state by state........

Accepting only cash is only illegal if one is lead to not turn it in........that is a personal choice.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    John.....it is not illegal to work an make money while collecting unemployment here....as I stated Ks deducts $2 for everyone you make.......make money turn it in and it is deducted off your weekly benefit.....they shut you off after several weeks of doing this to make you reapply and prove you weren't cheating and just turning in partial income....you show you only made X amount and BAM!!!! Your drawing your benefits again and paid full back benes.....it is not illegal.....it is the way it works........Spitir and Boeing both have made aggrements to allow workers to wrk 3 days and draw UEI benes with the state of Ks to keep from laying people off......

Of course I have no idea about your state....but UEI is state by state.....not federal govt......just like welfare......state by state........

Accepting only cash is only illegal if one is lead to not turn it in........that is a personal choice.........
    It's pretty darn easy to interpret your previous statement about checking on the rules or just taking cash instead as less than ethical.

I've said my piece.
    --John
    HomepagePopular