Rebel xsi capturing large amounts of noise?

rileypvrileypv Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited May 24, 2009 in Cameras
I was shooting pictures at my lil bro's baseball tournyment and when i imported the images into light room i noticed that the faces were noisey and im not sure why. Please HELP! Im not sure wheather its my camera or my new lens thanks

These are the settings i was using

ISO: 400
TV: between 1000-4000
WB: Auto/Daylight
Quality: Large 4272 x 2848

Lens canon EFS 70-300 mm usm lens, with stabilizer on most of the time, and using a uv filter.

Okay here are some images as examples

Full size image
IMG_4486.jpg

100% crop "notice the large amount of noise on the face"
100_percent_crop.jpg

100% of out of focus subject "is that like weird edge normal or is my lens bad"
arm_100_percent_crop.jpg
Please register and vote for me! It would mean alot if I was able to get a photograph published in this years edition of Capture Cincinnati the age of 17. Just vote for the photos of mine you like thanks!
Click Here

Comments

• TosserTosser Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    First, lenses don't cause noise.

Second, the noise levels look normal for that camera. We have one, and yours look similar to ours. We also have a 1DIII. You won't get the same low noise output from the XSI as you will from the 1D. Also, if the original image was a little underexposed and you brought it back up, any noise will be increased especially in shadows.

The head that you cropped is out of focus some. Although that lens is a fairly good one, it is not the sharpest in Canon's lineup.

Finally, the ump's arm area appears fairly normal for something so out of focus with that level of lens. Also, if you were shooting through a fence, you will have some issues with interference
  • rileypvrileypv Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Ya i know the lens isnt the best but i mean im 17 what can you expect lol my parents bought it for me to photograph my bros sports the total came out at like lets see around 800! but for 100 more i could have gotton one of the silver ones but i figured i couldnt trust a website over ritz camera and i found the other lens after the deal was done and thanks a ton!
    Please register and vote for me! It would mean alot if I was able to get a photograph published in this years edition of Capture Cincinnati the age of 17. Just vote for the photos of mine you like thanks!
    Click Here
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    You can easily remove some of the noise with any decent editing program. Just don't overdo it, because you will make the image less sharp if you do too much.

The rebels are not particularly noisy at 400 (much noisier at 1600), but in a situation like that one, you could cut try cutting down the ISO to 200 and slowing down the shutter. Looks like you had room for a slower shutter.

Also, the noise you see when you pixel peep will bother you more than anyone else. if you print an 8X10, most people will not even notice. If you post on the web, ditto.
    rileypv wrote:
    Ya i know the lens isnt the best but i mean im 17 what can you expect lol my parents bought it for me to photograph my bros sports the total came out at like lets see around 800! but for 100 more i could have gotton one of the silver ones but i figured i couldnt trust a website over ritz camera and i found the other lens after the deal was done and thanks a ton!