My first tulip photo

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited May 26, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I know...everyone takes photos of tulips :D I finally broke down and took one myself. Good or bad and please be honest.

544778104_MGsjF-M.jpg

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I like it, but almost wish the other tulip in the backround wasn't there.

Kris
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Dogdots, I like it a lot, Your colors are spot on, and your composition is pretty good as well.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Thank you Chris and Chile Chef for your comments :D

Chris...the other red flower...I know..I wish it wasn't there either. Can't retake them now. To late in the evening and rain is expected all day tomorrow. If I get another chance before they die....I'll reshoot it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Hi Dogdots......Nice shotthumb.gif......I think the composition would be better without the tulip in the bottom right...... azzaro

I was writing a comment while you were addressing the issue......... Why not just clone it out.....?????
  • jan1prsjan1prs Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    my first tulip
    This was my first. My wife made me go shoot the tulips and afterwards I was glad I did
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Dogdots -

I'm bucking the trend, but I prefer the 2nd tulip in the image - provides context for me.

I think the image looks stellar as is. Good work.thumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Howdy Mary Kim,

Wonderful image, really love the composition, and color is just perfect.

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited May 24, 2009
    Thank-you Panther, whiterice, Azzaro and jan1prs for the nice comments :D This photo really had me wondering if I should post it or not. I know...two things in a photo isn't the best, but it worked for Azzaro's birds rolleyes1.gif

Azzaro....My cloning skills aren't the greatest, but I'll give it a try and see what it looks like. Seems some like the other tulip and some don't. I'm just happy I was able to remove the house that was behind these tulips :D
  • jan1prsjan1prs Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    thanks, I switched to digital in Nov and bought a bunch of L's and decided I would finally commit myself to photography. What made a difference for me was I stopped trying to copy other people and just shot what I saw. I put 3 other shots on the muench university. Let me know what you think. I also started a website www.lensframe.com. Hopefully each day I will improve and in 4 years when I retire from my day job I can shoot everday
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thank you Chris and Chile Chef for your comments :D

Chris...the other red flower...I know..I wish it wasn't there either. Can't retake them now. To late in the evening and rain is expected all day tomorrow. If I get another chance before they die....I'll reshoot it.

You can clone it out in photoshop.
    I like it either way.
    edited May 24, 2009
    jan1prs wrote:
    thanks, I switched to digital in Nov and bought a bunch of L's and decided I would finally commit myself to photography. What made a difference for me was I stopped trying to copy other people and just shot what I saw. I put 3 other shots on the muench university. Let me know what you think. I also started a website www.lensframe.com. Hopefully each day I will improve and in 4 years when I retire from my day job I can shoot everday

Took a look at your site...Really like the "stare down" photo thumb.gif You have others that I liked too.

You will love digital. Couldn't find your photos on muench university. Maybe you can link it.
    edited May 24, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    You can clone it out in photoshop.
    I like it either way.

I'm going to work on it tomorrow. Cross your fingers that photoshop likes me tomorrow..sometimes it doesn't do what I want it to do :D

Me too...I like it either way, but the more I look at it I wonder what it will look like the other way.
    edited May 24, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thank-you Panther, whiterice, Azzaro and jan1prs for the nice comments :D This photo really had me wondering if I should post it or not. I know...two things in a photo isn't the best, but it worked for Azzaro's birds rolleyes1.gif

Azzaro....My cloning skills aren't the greatest, but I'll give it a try and see what it looks like. Seems some like the other tulip and some don't. I'm just happy I was able to remove the house that was behind these tulips :D

Dogdots, if you can remove a house you can do anythingrolleyes1.gif
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I'm going to work on it tomorrow. Cross your fingers that photoshop likes me tomorrow..sometimes it doesn't do what I want it to do :D

Me too...I like it either way, but the more I look at it I wonder what it will look like the other way.

You should be able to knock that out in less then a minute.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 25, 2009
    Mary,

I think this is very good. Personally, I think the second flower adds interest to the composition--a single, centered flower risks being boring. If you don't like it, then I agree that it should be easy to clone out, given how dark the background is. The color is very rich. I would have liked to see just a tiny bit more light on the right side, which is very dark on my monitor.

Regards,
    edited May 25, 2009
    Here's the photo with the other tullip taken out. It wasn't hard to do clap.gif

545465492_GE9Ye-M.jpg
    edited May 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Mary,

I think this is very good. Personally, I think the second flower adds interest to the composition--a single, centered flower risks being boring. If you don't like it, then I agree that it should be easy to clone out, given how dark the background is. The color is very rich. I would have liked to see just a tiny bit more light on the right side, which is very dark on my monitor.

Regards,

Hi Richard....I like it too with the second tulip, but after removing the other one to see what it looks like..well both look ok to me now. Sorry the right side looks dark. I actually did that on purpose since the tulip had a petal curled out on that side. The darkness kind of hides it.
    edited May 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi Richard....I like it too with the second tulip, but after removing the other one to see what it looks like..well both look ok to me now. Sorry the right side looks dark. I actually did that on purpose since the tulip had a petal curled out on that side. The darkness kind of hides it.

clap.gif Much better to my eye.....I think Richard is right about light on the right side, especially with the other one gone....... Not enough to show detail just enough to give it volume ........ YOU DID GOOD! AZZARO
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:

I understand...when you really start looking closely, perfect flowers are surprisingly hard to find. Sometimes you can do a little cosmetic surgery on them, though. It might have been possible to clone the stray petal out while still giving just a little more light to the rest. Dunno. But in any case, both versions are lovely.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I know...everyone takes photos of tulips :D I finally broke down and took one myself. Good or bad and please be honest.
    It works well...needs more negative space I think.
    edited May 25, 2009
    I thought some might like to see it lighter after removing the extra tulip -- so I did one just in case :D Its not much lighter tho. I have to keep the house lines hidden in all that darkness.

545666427_sY6Nu-M.jpg
    edited May 25, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    It works well...needs more negative space I think.

Checked my original photo...not much more space except for a little bit which wouldn't make much difference. I know..I wish I had more space too.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Checked my original photo...not much more space except for a little bit which wouldn't make much difference. I know..I wish I had more space too.
    Make it yourself - overlay the photo onto a larger layer. deal.gif

Either way - the original is good!thumb.gif
    edited May 25, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Make it yourself - overlay the photo onto a larger layer. deal.gif

Either way - the original is good!thumb.gif

Oh yeah...thanks for reminding me. I added more to the bottom of this photo: http://www.dogdotsphotography.com/gallery/4346720_RzkQn#505311602_j3Tsk-A-LB

I seem to always make the mistake of thinking what needs to be done to a photo and not looking at what else I can do with it.
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    First time on the computer all day. Just looked at the email and saw the link. I like the 2nd photo... (1 tulip) the best, but I like it with both tulips 2.

thumb.gif
    edited May 25, 2009
    DJT wrote:
    First time on the computer all day. Just looked at the email and saw the link. I like the 2nd photo... (1 tulip) the best, but I like it with both tulips 2.

thumb.gif

Yeah...I think the "one" tulip is winning. So hard to pick from either one. So I'll just print both of them :D
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Yeah...I think the "one" tulip is winning. So hard to pick from either one. So I'll just print both of them :D

Good thinking! thumb.gif