Sensor cleaning

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in Cameras
Ok, I've been reading through all the great information here about cleaning sensors. Before taking the plunge, I thought I'd check my sensor. It can't be that bad, right?

I read that you should take a picture of the sky at f22, aperture priority mode, manual focus on infinity. Then, in Photoshop do autolevels, and see the results. Is this correct? If so, here's my sensor :

544946902_VbWFJ-M.jpg

Pretty bad eh? I've decided to use the Copper Hill method with one of their kits. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• jan1prsjan1prs Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I noticed on my 50d that I had multiple dust spots and sent it in for cleaning. Their was no charge and it saves the hassle of photoshop or messing up my sensor by doing it myself. Just cost $40 bucks to send it in. It was back in less than a week
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited May 24, 2009
    Dave,

Do be aware that, depending on which sensor, you may need to be selective about the particular cleaner solution you use. Some sensors use an anti-static coating that "may" (or may not) be affected by some cleaning solutions.

More Copper Hill discussion here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=53266
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 25, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Pretty bad eh? I've decided to use the Copper Hill method with one of their kits. Any thoughts on this?

I've seen a lot worse. Check out some of these. Copper Hill works well for me. Just follow the instructions exactly.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I've seen a lot worse. Check out some of these. Copper Hill works well for me. Just follow the instructions exactly.

I like Copper Hill as well. And I think, to Ziggy's concern, that they do all that worrying for you. So long as you order the kit for your specific camera everything will be the right size and (non-damaging) chemical makeup.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Cooperhill - yes. But like has been said already, make sure you get the right fluid for your camera.

Kitchen faucet - not such a good idea :D
    439901342_Djhmf-M.jpg
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Cooperhill - yes. But like has been said already, make sure you get the right fluid for your camera.

Kitchen faucet - not such a good idea :D
    439901342_Djhmf-M.jpg
    rolleyes1.gifDarn, guess I'll cross that method off my list! It was my second choice.
    edited May 26, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I've ordered the Copperhill kit for my camera and read through their instructions. Should have it by the weekend. Wish me luck!
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Be aware, they will send you a rainbow colored slinky.

It is not integral to the Copper Hill method. I checked. mwink.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Quick question. Are you seeing these in normal shots or only when you shoot the sky at f22 and do auto levels?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Before a landscape session, I test at f/22 as anything seen there will usually be seen at f/8 or f/16. I hate the spots.

Before a wedding, etc, I usually only test at f/11 or so as I've not yet shot at anything above that. I clean the sensor only If I see anything.

The take-away is that I test at the smallest aperture I am ever likely to use on the shoot in question and then only clean the sensor filters if the dust bunnies are visible. The reason for this is that, while small, there is a risk of damage each time I do a cleaning. So, reducing the number of times I clean, it seems to me, reduces the probability that I will damage something.
    edited May 31, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Quick question. Are you seeing these in normal shots or only when you shoot the sky at f22 and do auto levels?

The sky, f22 and autolevels. I did not test it any other aperture setting to see where it starts to show up.
    edited May 31, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Be aware, they will send you a rainbow colored slinky.

It is not integral to the Copper Hill method. I checked. mwink.gif

Ahhhhhh ... no wonder I couldn't find it in the instructions! headscratch.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    I like Copper Hill as well. And I think, to Ziggy's concern, that they do all that worrying for you. So long as you order the kit for your specific camera everything will be the right size and (non-damaging) chemical makeup.

Mine has been a whole lot worse...and as Pupator said the folks at copper Hill do all the worrying for you.....just email them and tell them your camera and they will tell you what kit to buy......extremely simple and just follow their tute on cleaning and all is just as easy as 1---2----3.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website