Fun with a teacup

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in People
Thought you might like to see what you can do with a really cute baby and a 10.00 planter from Walmart!

544981496_mZkBa-L-1.jpg

544977892_W2dQW-L-2.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Nice work - #2 really made me smile.rolleyes1.gif Thanks for sharing!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 25, 2009
    Very clever. I love the first one. thumb.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I've got one too, but so far I haven't had an opportunity to use it. I do hope to use mine next week.

Thanks for sharing and example. :)
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    These are sooooo cute. Where the heck do you get a tea cup like that???? I love the one with the sunglasses..Laughing.gif..what fun!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    These are sooooo cute. Where the heck do you get a tea cup like that???? I love the one with the sunglasses..Laughing.gif..what fun!

Thanks for the comments! You can get these at Walmart for 10.00 they have several different ones. Much cheaper than buying them at the prop store. They also have a mushroom for outside to sit the kids on that I bought, just haven't used it yet. Wish I had the baby naked to not have so much busyness but oh well, you take what you can get with 4 month olds!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    What an awesome idea. Great shots too. Love the 2nd one.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    The shots are great and exactly what I would like to acheive and cant!!!!! Can you give me an idea of your lighting set up...what kind of white back ground do you use, ground cover, etc....Obviously I'm just gonna need hand held through this process, cause I can't seem to get success with a white background at all... I can't get my lighting set to avoid shadows on the back drop...I just want to kick and pout like a child!!!! I need a time out.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    afev0602 wrote:
    The shots are great and exactly what I would like to acheive and cant!!!!! Can you give me an idea of your lighting set up...what kind of white back ground do you use, ground cover, etc....Obviously I'm just gonna need hand held through this process, cause I can't seem to get success with a white background at all... I can't get my lighting set to avoid shadows on the back drop...I just want to kick and pout like a child!!!! I need a time out.

Haha, time out! You are where I was just about 1 year ago.... trust me it takes awhile! Take it one step at a time, learn it piece by piece. My first goal was to get the white background thing right... which is, while not perfect, is working for me, now I am working on natural light/outdoor off camera flash. When fall comes my goal is to light a mid to low key background well for some drama, for now though I am happy with the white, works well with babies and kids.... Here is my set up as it is....

White background is just a piece of white canvas like material bought at the fabric store and tacked to the wall. The floor is a piece of white tile board. Total for this set up about $25.00

My lights are 3x4 foot softbox with white lightening strobe to camera right (though most would prefer left but this is what works in my small space...I am in a 10x12 bedroom) set at F8

To camera left is a 3x4 foot rigid reflector (some here would think my lighting is flat but that's my intent for the white background)

Background is lit with 2 alien beesboth aimed angled towards the middle and angled down with no modifiers except what came with them... they are set to F11 This is probably why there are no shadows...blash flash...

My camera is set at F8. ISO 100. baby is about 4 feet from background on the white floor and about 4-5 feet from softbox.

I don't know what kind of lights you have but this could be achieved even with off camera speed lights.

I am sure there are other ways but this is working for me now. I have good sales and the simplicity is what the parents like best for older infants and toddlers. I have other backgrounds I use when the kids are older and there is time to fiddle.

Let me know if you need any clarification... I will try to "hold your hand" and get you out of that time out!
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    adorable shots! Thanks for the set-up pointers - must try the white b/g sometime.

Cheers, Sunita
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Totally adorable!!! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Haha, time out! You are where I was just about 1 year ago.... trust me it takes awhile! Take it one step at a time, learn it piece by piece. My first goal was to get the white background thing right... which is, while not perfect, is working for me, now I am working on natural light/outdoor off camera flash. When fall comes my goal is to light a mid to low key background well for some drama, for now though I am happy with the white, works well with babies and kids.... Here is my set up as it is....

White background is just a piece of white canvas like material bought at the fabric store and tacked to the wall. The floor is a piece of white tile board. Total for this set up about $25.00

My lights are 3x4 foot softbox with white lightening strobe to camera right (though most would prefer left but this is what works in my small space...I am in a 10x12 bedroom) set at F8

To camera left is a 3x4 foot rigid reflector (some here would think my lighting is flat but that's my intent for the white background)

Background is lit with 2 alien beesboth aimed angled towards the middle and angled down with no modifiers except what came with them... they are set to F11 This is probably why there are no shadows...blash flash...

My camera is set at F8. ISO 100. baby is about 4 feet from background on the white floor and about 4-5 feet from softbox.

I don't know what kind of lights you have but this could be achieved even with off camera speed lights.

I am sure there are other ways but this is working for me now. I have good sales and the simplicity is what the parents like best for older infants and toddlers. I have other backgrounds I use when the kids are older and there is time to fiddle.

Let me know if you need any clarification... I will try to "hold your hand" and get you out of that time out!

Quite the detailed post ----> THANKS for the helpful tips. :D

Oh..... REAL NICE work, btw. Cheers!
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Cute! I've wanted to try the teacup for awhile now. I've seen a red/yellow polka dot one in the wal-mart add, but keep forgetting to check on it when I go. You just reminded me that I gotta go get one, while it's in season.

I use a white background a lot too, but I use a king size fleece type blanket that I clip with clamps to the top part of the back of 2 kitchen chairs. Sounds pretty silly, I know, but it works great. I don't have a softbox, so I rely on natural light and my SB600 bounced off ceiling, or angled high on wall.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    My3Sons wrote:
    Cute! I've wanted to try the teacup for awhile now. I've seen a red/yellow polka dot one in the wal-mart add, but keep forgetting to check on it when I go. You just reminded me that I gotta go get one, while it's in season.

I use a white background a lot too, but I use a king size fleece type blanket that I clip with clamps to the top part of the back of 2 kitchen chairs. Sounds pretty silly, I know, but it works great. I don't have a softbox, so I rely on natural light and my SB600 bounced off ceiling, or angled high on wall.

-Melissa

Well, I bought the polka dotted one tonight. It looks kinda small though? Was the baby pretty small? How old? I have a 5 mo. old, but I'm not sure if he will even fit. I'll find out tomorrow.

I've been thinking alot about your setup. Is your canvas long enough so that it drapes onto the floor, and then your white board is laid over it? How is it that I don't see any seams? It looks great!

-Melissa