DSS #26 light mod screen shot

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited May 26, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I kinda took this "modify the light" idea to an extreme...does this have potential??

545158517_fYJh2-L.jpg
self portrait with combo of natural light from a window, and rear curtain flash as i moved into the frame for a ghostly effect, then re-shot the image off my computer screen for a super-pixelized rendering. I wanted visible pixels as obvious building blocks to show the mosaic of red green and blue lights forming the image...

thoughts?
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    OK wow.. A + on creativity here.. I like that... you definitely modified the light!!! hurts my eyes to look at, kind of like an optical illusion type photo..

Nice work and very creative,,, NEAT thumb.gif

Kat
  • Scott MacKenzieScott MacKenzie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I love stuff like this.
    I just stared at it for about 20 minutes. And thanks for explaining your technique!
    Part of me is waiting for Frank McGee to show up and tell me who we're looking at.
    clap.gif
    I like images that feel like I am the Walrus sounds.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    What a fun shot. It's a great idea.

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Pop art, dgrin style.

VERY clever and yes, it works. Great job! thumb.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I love stuff like this.
    I just stared at it for about 20 minutes. And thanks for explaining your technique!
    Part of me is waiting for Frank McGee to show up and tell me who we're looking at.
    clap.gif

Wow, thanks! Ok so I'm going to admit my ignorance and confess I had to google Frank McGee to be sure who he was. Most famous for his coverage of the Kennedy Assassination (so I read), he also made a famous broadcast by candlelight during the 1965 blackouts on the East Coast. Talk about modifying the light!
    545516747_YZ9BZ-M.jpg
    Screenshot from YouTube

While I was looking around I found this clip of a November 22, 1963 broadcast from SF just after news broke of the Kennedy shooting. Correspondents were taking reactions from the locals, and as I watched suddenly my doppelganger appeared out of nowhere. Wonder what Frank would say about that?
    545516791_Xzmu2-M.jpg
    Screenshot from YouTube

Thanks a lot for the reference and resulting history refresher. My question now is, does this qualify as an "I am the Walrus" moment, or just "Let it Be"?
  • Scott MacKenzieScott MacKenzie Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Goo Goo Ga Joob, Dude.
    I like images that feel like I am the Walrus sounds.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    This is a really cool shot. thumb.gif

Agree with divamum's comment: "pop-art dgrin style".
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    walrus.

i'm just gonna go ahead and say that this is a winner ;)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited May 25, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    walrus.

i'm just gonna go ahead and say that this is a winner ;)

oh gosh, thanks K - and all you guys for the encouragement!

Hey, wait a minute...Kinkajou...omg, it's you! All this time I thought they were sayin' "koo-koo-kachoo" but now the truth has come to light, so to speak: it's really "ki-kinkajou!"

I'm not worthy! bowdown.gif

headscratch.gif ...so...if you're the Walrus, who's the Eggman???

Okay okay, sorry, just havin' fun. :D

I went ahead and entered the image as-is in the gallery, though I always start to second guess as soon as the enter button is pressed Laughing.gif. I appreciate the vote of confidence, though what I've seen so far has been very inspiring, and intimidating (in a good way). Thus, I made another attempt today...
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Thus, I made another attempt today...

You're insane - the madness!! thumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited May 25, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    You're insane - the madness!! thumb.gif

hee hee! eek7.gif

:cry hooooooo? headscratch.gif

:D ha ha ha haaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 26, 2009
    Scott
    I love stuff like this.
    clap.gif

Hey Scott.. have you ever heard "I am the Walrus" sung by Jim Carey? it is awesome.!!!!!! if you have not, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPkytVdy5Us ...I think you would enjoy it..clap.gif
    edited May 26, 2009
    Question
    Benjer.. just curious.. but noticed you lived not too far from me here in Tennessee.. I live in Shelbyville.. about 1 1/2 from Nashville... so the point I am making, I know a photography group and some photographers that used to attend a photo group I ran on myspace. I wonder if you already hang with them.. ?
    They are a cool group and nice people too... at least the few that I know personally and their leader is super.

If not and your interested, let me know and I can give you their info.. They have shootouts once a month...you can find them on meetups.com... I can get you their info if you want... they are too far for me to shoot with, but they are based right their out of Nashville..rolleyes1.gif

Thought you might want to know..
    Kat

edited May 26, 2009
    Kat - wow, thanks for the thoughtful suggestion! I don't currently hang with any local photogs so finding a photo group would be great. If you like you can PM me the info and I'll check into it. Should I tell them Kat sent me? :D
    edited May 26, 2009
    Sure,...

Great, I contacted Donna and when she emails me her current info I will private message it to you.. Donna is the Assistant Organizer , she shoots some excellent stuff, she recently shot a local country star Adam Cressman, here in Nashville and the photos from that shoot were awesome....
    I love her macro floral stuff especially.. She is fun, and I am sure you will fit right in, they are friendly laid back people...thumb.gif

Kat