Is a Nikon D40 "better" than a D80?

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited May 26, 2009 in Cameras
I own a D40 and have no intentions of buying a D80. My D40 is being serviced and yesterday I borrowed my sons D80.

I shoot dirt bike races/MX.

I'm convinced the D40 provides better results, focus, color, clarity, etc etc.

Just wondering what anyone thought.

thanks.

from yesterday.

anyone ID's the 3 bikes wins a secret prize. :D

545094322_Vyh3H-L.jpg

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Well, both cameras are capable of great results. The D80 does contain more professional features, so I would venture to posit that the D80 is a superior camera. But, real-life terms, you can get great results from both.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    How were you shooting each camera? The only way to truely compare image quality would be to use the exact same lens on both cameras, shooting the exact same subject, in the exact same light, with the same ISO, aperture and shutter speed, shooting in RAW. Then you could open up the files and make direct comparisions of image quality.

However, once any of these factors changes between the two cameras, any apparent image quality differences are pretty much irrelevant. The first thing I would ask you though is whether you were shooting jpegs with different picture control settings for saturation, contrast, sharpening, etc. That alone will make wildly different images even using *the same* camera, lens, and exposure.

I don't know what the bikes are, but the one in front is a Husqvarna.
  • Y_KnotY_Knot Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Bike ID's
    All 3 are Husqvarna's.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    When you look at the specs of these two cameras, the D80 wins hands down. I suspect your sentiment was due to your lack of familiarity with the D80 during your one outing with the body.

No reason for you to upgrade if your are happy with your results with the D40.