#26 totally different idea

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Me and Mr Prism are having irreconcilable differences - whether this is permanent or temporary, I'm not sure, but we've agreed to a separation for the time being.

In the meantime, I set up another shot in defiance. The sight of me in a slip setting up the flash outside on the front porch must have been quite a sight for the neighbours first thing this holiday morning, but vissi d'arte and all that :rofl.

The objective was film noir-ish, although I'm not sure that's quite what I go. In fact, I'm not sure WHAT I got. Interesting, or just weird?

545452016_3yAsc-L.jpg
(I should probably clone out the strap on this one)
545453583_4FyEa-L.jpg

Comments

• bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Wow! I really love this idea and the effect the lighting has. Why didn't I think of that? rolleyes1.gif I think you're on to something. I would like to see a little more details in the shadows though. Definitely not weird!:D
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I like it. Just thinking out loud, if the top one was nude and the light and detail still faded out before the neck, I think you could crop it portrait and remove the right 20-25% or so and have the light effect go from just at the very top of the butt to the nape of the neck.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I like the first one best. Maybe some more contrast?
    The second looks uncomfortable or harsh, does that make sense?
    I also like the first one because it gives the illusion of being nude without really being nude people might take a more detailed look and really soak up all the wonderful light.
    Just my opinion seems very powerful and could tell so many stories.

g
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Wow! I like this idea a lot.

#1 is neat, but I keep wanting to see just a skootch more detail. Or do it as a partial nude (sans detail), if you dare mwink.gif . Leave things to the imagination. :D I like the curvature of the spine against the shadows cast by the blinds.

#2 does look a bit uncomfortable. Bringing out the eye is great but the way the shadow is hitting your eyebrow, you're looking a bit like Mr. Spock. ne_nau.gif

I think #1 has the potential for a terrific abstract. nod.gif
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I knew this was coming.... that's just you... you start and then really kick it towards the end... classic Diva.. and as usual .... BAM.. you hit it..

this is gorgeous.. and wow.. perfect idea... love the lines and curves..

I LIKE # 1 : it is perfect as is, and agree with Camel.. more is less on the clothing and beckons the viewer to take a closer look into the composition..

Just for fun you might try to lift that right shoulder and give us an "s"

give us a little more on the shadows, slight more contrast and it would be nice to see just a little more curvature on the ends of the shadows... and I do believe you have nailed it Diva,,

Nice work!!! turning up the heat towards the end as always....clap.gifclapclap.gif

Kat
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Wow! I like this idea a lot.

#1 is neat, but I keep wanting to see just a skootch more detail. Or do it as a partial nude (sans detail), if you dare mwink.gif . Leave things to the imagination. :D I like the curvature of the spine against the shadows cast by the blinds.

15524779-Ti.gif dare to go nude (sans detail). What will the neighbors think then!!

This could be a winning shot.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    #1 is beautiful...very thought provoking! I personally don't feel you need to explore the nude idea, I think this one gives you plenty of...what's the word I'm looking for, mystery? wonder? I like it as is!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Wow, I go away and pull pork for a few hours and come back to all these nice responses! Thanks all.

If I can reshoot tomorrow, I will; it's a really tricky thing to do as a SP without a modeling light because I can't see where the shadows are going to hit until after I've twiddled with the lights and blinds, so it's a real trial and error job (especially since the room setup is seriously lacking in open space so I have to figure out how the heck to angle it somewhere I can actaully stand!). There are a few more from today I might try to process into something worthwhile; we'll see. I'm very pleased that these studies (good or bad) have struck a chord somewhere - they were seriously experimental!

Really appreciate the input, as always.

Oh, and for the record, the final product will NOT be a nude... unless I find a different model!!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I agree that #1 is really good - the blocks of light along the spine accentuate the curves in a really cool way. I just have a couple thoughts regarding nude vs. clothed.

A nude shot may work better as a pure formal study (the spaghetti string interferes with the otherwise smooth shape just a bit), where the surface being lit can exist as a pure shape, independent of surroundings or specific emotion.

If clothing is not optional, maybe a bit more detail in the surroundings or face would give the viewer more of a story, more emotional impact.

To me it seems like this image is somewhere between the two ideas, and yet so close to perfect. It's really a nice image as it is, but I feel like going fully one way or the other would make it amazing.

I have to say that I'm a bit jealous of your talent, diva!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited May 25, 2009
    "Talent"? Most of the time it feels like "groping around in the hope of stumbling on a decent idea and then hoping that I'll hit the technical aspects by accident if not by design" rolleyes1.gif. Y'all are far too kind.

As for the nude/not, I actually agree with you as it being neither/nor. These were really intended as "studies" - I'm hoping I'll get a chance tomorrow to try and clean it up with a little more intention and accuracy, and have a couple of ideas. We'll see...

Thanks for the very kind words (and from you too Kat - I seriously just throw myself into it and hope something works out, which is why I post so much for feedback! Especially this week in the light of yet ANOTHER economically-caused gig cancellation - that makes 3 contracts this year which have vanished as the companies went under or on hiatus - the camera is keeping me sane as it gives me something I can just DO....)

Benjer wrote:
    I agree that #1 is really good - the blocks of light along the spine accentuate the curves in a really cool way. I just have a couple thoughts regarding nude vs. clothed.

A nude shot may work better as a pure formal study (the spaghetti string interferes with the otherwise smooth shape just a bit), where the surface being lit can exist as a pure shape, independent of surroundings or specific emotion.

If clothing is not optional, maybe a bit more detail in the surroundings or face would give the viewer more of a story, more emotional impact.

To me it seems like this image is somewhere between the two ideas, and yet so close to perfect. It's really a nice image as it is, but I feel like going fully one way or the other would make it amazing.

I have to say that I'm a bit jealous of your talent, diva!
    edited May 25, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    "

Thanks for the very kind words (and from you too Kat - I seriously just throw myself into it and hope something works out, which is why I post so much for feedback! Especially this week in the light of yet ANOTHER economically-caused gig cancellation - that makes 3 contracts this year which have vanished as the companies went under or on hiatus - the camera is keeping me sane as it gives me something I can just DO....)

Hey no problem.. you are always a big help to me too... bummer on those contracts.... Great you have the photography... and I am sure the voice lessons pad things out too... My grandfather made me take opera voice lessons when I was young, never worked out, the guy said I was tone deaf in my left ear from too many childhood inner ear infections.. I always did ok, until having to sing duo, then I never could get into harmony.... I cant remember the guys name is was eons ago, he was well known in your circles.. his first name was AL and he was a tenor I think.. he lives in Talladega Alabama.. he had records out and everything... I sure (don't) miss those voice exercises.. those scales were terrible and were not even in English..!!! I bet you have fun teaching.. I think that would be a blast..

well good luck on your entry and look forward to seeing what you do with it...

Kat
    edited May 26, 2009
    Alrighty.... this morning's efforts. The hard part with this is that it is one bugger of a tough job to actually control the light when I can't SEE it even when it flashes (because I'm in the shot) and because it's something of a pain to go out and adjust the flash position when I'm half-dressed rolleyes1.gif

Anyway, I had zero luck recreating the spine shot which is a bummer, because I think it's kind of cool too and wanted to try it with a snooted speedlight on my face to brighten it up, but just couldn't get the positioning of light, blinds OR me where it was yesterday. If I'm feeling inspired, I"ll try again later.

However, I did go back to my original Film Noir objective (and Emily, this is all thanks to you - after your fabu Hurrrell-style shot I started reading up on him and got the wonderful Hollywood Portraits book, which I've been gobbling up for days now - I've always loved the style, and learning HOW they did it is beyond interesting!)

Anyway, this is what I got, processed in multiple ways. I wish I could set myself up against a different wall, but there just isn't one to use, so this is what I'm stuck with. T. Thoughts? Thanks!

BW conversion
    546579888_ZHRB7-M.jpg

Lomo #1
    546579839_JwkDw-M.jpg

Lomo #2
    546579849_FEUe9-M.jpg

Split tone + SF
    546579965_uTARE-M.jpg

Heavy crop
    546579875_ZjKfd-M.jpg
    edited May 26, 2009
    A-W-E-S-O-M-E iloveyou.gif

I like the first 3... man... I can't decide... will have to think on it for a while...

seriously.. I cant decide.. headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifI really like the green... I am thinking.. will get back to you on it..

Kat
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Ooooh, I like it! thumb.gif B&W gets my vote.

Now I'm wondering, what if you were looking thru the blinds instead of into the room - I think that would really fit the noir mystery idea. The body position is good, just turn your head to the blinds, maybe with one hand separating the slats...Hitchcock style. That might change the wall reflections you were going for, but it's something I would try if I were shooting this femme fatale!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited May 26, 2009
    ok, I am back, had to step away and come back to it.. too many choices that are similar... (grin) ok... I like them all..there.. does that help..:D

Of course that doesn't > So here is my best advice... and my fav out of all of them: the (heavy crop black and white).

I would definitely "burn" the shadows every so "slightly" in on the blind blades toward you and across your chest.. dont mess with the white area, just burn in the already faded shadowed areas that lean toward you and burn in that hair on your nose or clone it in.. you can do the same thing with the first black and white one too, however the shadows on the wall need some burning too to make them dramatic.. those are my favs..

Now I must leave before I change my mind and want the colored ones too.. nice work Diva.... I am really favoring these..thumb.gif

Now get dressed...!!! I mean your a lady for goodness sake !!rolleyes1.gifrolleyesrolleyes1.gifrofl

Kat
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    headscratch.gif I am torn between the B&W and the B&W with the heavy crop. I love the shadows in the B&W. And I love the intimacy generated by the heavy crop.

Lomo #1 is pretty cool, too. But with the color I prefer to see a bit more detail in the face.
    edited May 26, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    headscratch.gif I am torn between the B&W and the B&W with the heavy crop. I love the shadows in the B&W. And I love the intimacy generated by the heavy crop.

Lomo #1 is pretty cool, too. But with the color I prefer to see a bit more detail in the face.

15524779-Ti.gif Wow. Very, very nice work. bowdown.gif very inspiring.

I like the inward looking pose - would not change a thing. Just....WOW!
    - Christopher
    edited May 26, 2009
    Thanks all! Looking through window was Plan A, Benjer, but with no room to move the camera angle (this is is a 9x10 room that includes 5 big bookcases and a piano, among other things!) I just couldn't make it work.

One more version, toned BW with still another crop - seriously, LR makes it WAY too easy to play with this image :D

546644555_sFYdq-M.jpg
    edited May 26, 2009
    So funny - I was thinking about this crop as well.

I like it....it emphasizes even more your modification of light.

Theme aside, I am leaning toward the intimacy of the tight crop - so powerful.
    - Christopher
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oh, and for the record, the final product will NOT be a nude... unless I find a different model!!!! rolleyes1.gif

OK, now realizing that model = photographer, I'm embarrassed about the nude suggestion. (Is there a blushing smilie?)

Anyway, these all look great. I think I like the cropped B&W best.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited May 26, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    OK, now realizing that model = photographer, I'm embarrassed about the nude suggestion. (Is there a blushing smilie?)

Anyway, these all look great. I think I like the cropped B&W best.

Hey, no need to be embarrassed - a artistic nude shot done really well is a wonderful thing. I'm just not prepared to model for it :Drolleyes1.gif :lol

Thanks for the comments!

I'm currently leaning towards the 2nd crop for the challenge - we'll see if that's what I still think in a couple of hours rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 26, 2009
    Good call on that secondary crop option.. shows the composition off the best... not sure about the new process you threw on it though..hmm.. well , it does work, and that peach/tan color in the blinds gives it an intersting flair and mood..

Definitely this new crop pulls it together..thumb.gif
    Kat
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Lomo #1 for me :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited May 26, 2009
    Hey Pyry! Where ya been? Good to see you back.

Lomo #1 is actually my favorite too. I submitted the other crop with split toning as possibly a better entry, but I may revert. There's something so raw about the lomo version - nicely tawdry and still giving a film noir feel even with subtle pops of colour.

We'll see what I think in a few days when I look at them again :D
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Hey Pyry! Where ya been? Good to see you back.

I've been busy. Work, thesis, horses, all that :D
    It's good to be back in business here though. wings.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Lomo #1 is actually my favorite too. I submitted the other crop with split toning as possibly a better entry, but I may revert. There's something so raw about the lomo version - nicely tawdry and still giving a film noir feel even with subtle pops of colour.

We'll see what I think in a few days when I look at them again :D

I picked that one for the colour. Your very first image is definitely worth a re-shoot with a little bit of fill light and a face btw thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited May 26, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    I picked that one for the colour. Your very first image is definitely worth a re-shoot with a little bit of fill light and a face btw thumb.gif

Yeah, that was the goal this morning - I wanted to recreate and add a snooted speedlight to life the face - but I just couldn't get the positioning of the lines right to catpure that again no matter how I tried. Ah well - something to work on, I suspect.....
    edited May 27, 2009
    Just... can't.... leave.... it.... alone.... rolleyes1.gif

Blame yet another version of this because I introduced my 11 year old to the original The Twilight Zone last night :D The lighting was ALL this kind of film noir, high contrast, directional lighting and it just made me want to try and do this even better... (and fwiw she LOVED it - score one for mommy who was getting pretty cheesed off with the sudden anti-old-movies sentiment which popped up this week. Not in this house, thank you so much!)

Anyway, this morning I made a snoot for my speedlight, got the batteries properly charged (one of yesterday's frustrations was that i was on tail-end batteries which didn't always fire the flash - grr - and didn't have time to recharge and keep going!), and, with both flashes functioning, tried again and improve the lighting detail.

This one, or keep the entry submitted? I think the one I submitted is more atmospheric (and possibly more flattering! I went a little nuts with the "digital makeup" - Joan Crawford eyebrows and Max Factor/heavy processing aren't necessarily the best look for me eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif) but I think this one is possibly technically better from a lighting standpoint.

547614729_KWkXL-L.jpg
    edited May 27, 2009
    well in this one, I like the blinds and the shadows across the chest alot, nice angle..

don't like the make up on the lips to drawn looking.. although you may have done that on purpose.. me no likey :nono

I loved your hair on the originals iloveyou.gifbecause it went with the whole Noir Theme..and also went very well with the slip..very moody... the blinds came out very pretty here but there is something over to the right of your shoulder that is distracting too.. so, my vote is for the previous stuff..thumb.gif

looks like your having fun with it... I am working on something entirely new too..

Kudos
    Kat
    edited May 27, 2009
    Oh yeah, I'm having a BALL! Here's another one that is somewhat less retouched and doesn't emphasise the head shadow so much (that's what yo'ure seeing to the right - i wanted a hard shadow, so it was planned!) but focus seems soft for some reason - not sure why since the others in the series are fine. This was my first pick from this morning's, in fact, but the focus bugged me (although not as much now it's in BW)

Here it is, nice and moody :D :

547635042_MPcbQ-L.jpg

What I will say is that this proves I CAN control the light, even without the equipment the college studio offers. This bodes very well for shoots at home.... thumb.gif
    edited May 27, 2009
    yep, this definitely says that you can control the light...I like the catch light in the right eye.. it peers straight at you.. I rather like the harsh shadows in this... the skin did get a little blotchy with the harsh shadows though.. gotta love them blinds now.. wow...

surely your having fun with it... maybe one of these days I will get brave enough to go for a self portrait too......

I am doing something entirely new too.. will try to post it up by tonight or tomorrow.. clocks a ticking..rolleyes1.gif

Kat