Headshots Revisited

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited June 12, 2005 in People
A month ago I showed my attempt at a headshot that a co-worker can use to land acting jobs.

It were terrible. I tried to use natural light and a reflector, ended up with too little light. So I tried to fake it in Photoshop, with dismal results. Still, since this was a freebie exercise for both of us, we knew that a second session would be coming.

For the second session, I enlisted the help of my pal Patch29. Instead of natural light, we set-up in front of a black backdrop. Patch did the lighting. He had a softbox in the front 3/4, a highlight above and behind 3/4 on the same side as the softbox, and a reflector on the opposite side. We shot at f6.3 and 1/60th, for the most part.

Here's the color shot she ended up selecting out of that bunch.

24626746-L.jpg

Patch also brought along a ring light flash. He'd showed us some modeling shots that had a very cool look, and figured the ring light was how it was done. Our subject wants B&W as well as color headshots, so the ring light was put to the test. Here's her choice of ringlight shots. I added a touch of blue to give it some depth.

24617263-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Our subject needed a couple of shots in a hurry, so these were quickly processed. If you have any suggestions and critiques, I'd love to hear 'em. I may or may not agree, but that's no big deal. I know next to nothing about processing shots, so any input is welcome.

I used the patch tool quite a bit to remove lines around her mouth. Using a Kelby/Ames tip, I did the work on a duplicate layer, then changed the opacity to allow some of the original back in, so that it looks natural. I tried not to oversharpen, as I understand that prints are more sensitive to sharpening.

I'm not able to make tests prints at home yet, still waiting for my used Epson 2200 to reach me. :bluduh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited June 12, 2005
    So Patch showed our subject her shots yesterday at a Starbucks.

24682545-L.jpg
    Sid.
    edited June 12, 2005
    Outside sucking down a coffee and a cigarette was a hairdresser taking her break. She had what I assume was a wig, and graciously allowed me to take a shot.

24671799-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    I wish I had a friend like that, with all that lighting equipment.

Your portraits came out nicely. Shame that lipgloss is such a challange, just so bloody reflective. My wife does hair and makeup for weddings and shows and she dabs some matt powder on the lips to reduce the shine.

I use that same technique with the two layers for removing lines and blemishes. Does a nice job in short time.

Of these photographs, my favorites are the ringlight BW and the one of her in Starbucks.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Sid,
    The lighting on the second one looks like straight ahead flash with the highlights too high on her face. Can fix with highlights/shadow or change the channel mix in the conversion. The first looks much better to me. Would consider some poses without smiling, or very little smile. ( happiness seems to be considered passe in the glamour world) I actually like the b&w conversion and the lighting on the third shot. Maybe you should have ushered your model outside for a shot outside at Starbucks :).
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited June 12, 2005
    Good comments, thanks guys. Glossy lips are definitely a problem. The ring light is supposed to make starker highlights, Thomas, and on some shots creates a nice darker ring around the model's body. She wanted to submit different looking shots, and the ring light certainly is different!
    Sid.
  • LinenLinen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    I really like the portrait with the ring light. Great effect! In the top shot and the last one of your model it looks like you might of focused some where other then her face. The picture of your hairdresser is a riot!! Great capture!