Do you use the 450D (Xsi) and just how good is it?

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited May 25, 2009 in Cameras
I'm getting one soon to replace the older 400D and would like some thoughts.

I have read the reviews online and seen many images taken with it on forums, but what do you think of yours?

What is its good points, and what lets it down?

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 25, 2009
    I don't have one but I got to see one up close and personal and to see the owner work with it. It's a pretty nice camera and the spot metering alone is a nice addition over previous models in the xxxD line. HTP is another benefit but it does blow the file sizes up to use 14 bit data sampling.

Bob Atkins has a great review and comparison between the XTi, Xsi and 40D:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_xsi_vs_xti_vs_40D.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I upgraded to an xsi from an XT (which was a 350),a nd absolutely LOVE it. It was a much bigger improvement than I expected, and I've been sooo glad I decided to upgrade!

I had originally expected/planned to go to a 40D, but when I had the chance to handle both, the smaller, lighter xsi felt so much better to me that it was a no-brainer. The processor and many of the features are the same as the 40D - I think of it as a "40D lite" in many ways.

The only genuine negative I have about it is that if you underexpose, the shot can get noisy; once you know that, however, you can usually avoid it as a problem and with something like noiseware I've even been able to turn low light ISO1600 shots into useable images.

Overall, I'm very VERY happy with it - I dread my next upgrade, and only hope that Canon has something I'll want other than the 5dmkII, because from my vantage point the xsi does everything I want in a camera and more.

Pros
    lightweight/smaller than prosumer series which for me is easier to hold
    price
    gorgeous, easy-to-read LCD screen
    great menu setup
    spot metering
    excellent AF performance
    Live view

Cons
    at 800 and higher ISO and/or if underexposed exhibits more noise than some
    plastic body may not be as robust as prosumer line (although I've had no problems of any kind with build-quality - it's been great)