Ridin' Fences

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited May 26, 2009 in People
Randy

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Very nice portrait IMO. Nice comp, great colors that compliment well. A keeper!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    In general I like it. thumb.gif

That's been said:
    Eyes could be lit better.
    Image has certain HDR vibe (which I personally hate).

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Very nice portrait IMO. Nice comp, great colors that compliment well. A keeper!

Thanks whiterice, appreciate the input
    Randy
    edited May 26, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    In general I like it. thumb.gif

That's been said:
    Eyes could be lit better.
    Image has certain HDR vibe (which I personally hate).

HTH

Hey Nik,

Thanks for the input. -- This was a candid shot taken at a bull riding event. Don't know about the HDR vibe, the pic was processed in LR2 except for the watermark.
    Randy
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I thought about the eyes too at first, but then thought that the shadow from the hat was perfectly fitting. Sort of like the smudges on his hat, thought at first they should be removed but then realized THIS IS A COWBOY!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I love the mood this photograph portrays, the light, the processing. This say's "Cowboy" and it also say's "Style". Personally, I think its a perfect blend Randy. Nicely done.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Yummy. iloveyou.gif

Not being able to see his eyes just makes me try harder. The hat shadow is appropriate imho, and the sharp eyelash makes it kind of tantalizing.

The background doesn't quite look believable to me... parly because the space between his right arm and his torso doesn't seem to match up. Makes it look a little like a studio background or a Photoshop job. I'd burn that little space a bit to make it match the rest of the background more closely.

Aside from that, wouldn't change a thing. Has he seen this pic? I bet he'd love it. If not... guaranteed his girlfriend would! clap.gif
    edited May 26, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    I thought about the eyes too at first, but then thought that the shadow from the hat was perfectly fitting. Sort of like the smudges on his hat, thought at first they should be removed but then realized THIS IS A COWBOY!

A professional cowboy at that!

Thanks for more input.
    Randy
    edited May 26, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love the mood this photograph portrays, the light, the processing. This say's "Cowboy" and it also say's "Style". Personally, I think its a perfect blend Randy. Nicely done.

Thanks Dave, I do appreciate your input thumb.gif

When these guys are getting ready for the event, they spend time getting into "the zone" if you will. This is a good example of his focus and intensity.
    (If I was about to get on a world class bull, I'm sure I'd have quite a different look on my face than he does rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )

Photo shot w/5DMkII & 70-200L f/2.8IS @ 2.8. The only processing that I had to do was bring up the "fill light" slider a bit, then bring up the black slider a little. That's it...

The photo struck me in the same way you stated above.
    Randy
    edited May 26, 2009
    momwac wrote:
    Yummy. iloveyou.gif

Not being able to see his eyes just makes me try harder. The hat shadow is appropriate imho, and the sharp eyelash makes it kind of tantalizing.

The background doesn't quite look believable to me... parly because the space between his right arm and his torso doesn't seem to match up. Makes it look a little like a studio background or a Photoshop job. I'd burn that little space a bit to make it match the rest of the background more closely.

Aside from that, wouldn't change a thing. Has he seen this pic? I bet he'd love it. If not... guaranteed his girlfriend would! clap.gif

Thanks momwac,

This was a candid shot at a bull riding event. No hocus pocus to the photo. The setting sun was providing a back/side rim light, that's what you see between his arm and body. It certainly wouldn't hurt to burn it in though.

I appreciate your detailed critique thumb.gif
    Randy