nifty rays to light yer 'maters

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
i was inspired by a sudden sunshower this afternoon - the smell of rain in sunlight is really amazing - and rushed out to the garden to try and take advantage of the amazing light making sparkles everywhere. As soon as I got my stuff out the door, the rain stopped and clouds covered the sun! D'oh!

I tried improvising with a garden hose and an off-camera flash, and it looked ok but not totally convincing. As I was about to give up, the clouds parted and I popped off a couple decent shots in the last moments of sunlight. I used the flash to fill the shadows created by the strong backlighting. My neighbors must have thought I was a nut case, holding the hose in one hand, flash in the other with the camera firing away on timer mode, muttering and hopping around trying not to get my camera wet!

Here's what I ended up with:
545974837_DpGD8-L.jpg

It was fun, but is this any better or closer to the theme than the screen shot???
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Well, for what it's worth...I like it!! I like the way the light catches on the 'rain' drops. Great idea.

Sherry
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I like both... the first one was really cool and a twist not done before in the challenge... however, this second one is a pleasure to look at, love the light and the colors are in perfect contrast... one suggestion on this one, sharpen it a little.. and work in PS to make the red "pop" with selective color or increase the contrast.

beautiful.. awesome play of light with the water...

Kat
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I absolutely LOVE the 'maters shot (gorgeous!!!) but I think that the pixellated mayhem Pop Art Benjer Style is actually a better entry. Both terrific pictures! thumb.gif
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I absolutely LOVE the 'maters shot (gorgeous!!!) but I think that the pixellated mayhem Pop Art Benjer Style is actually a better entry. Both terrific pictures! thumb.gif

Thanks diva - Laughing.gif I guess I'm still partial to the pop art pixel portrait too. But the 'maters were fun to shoot, and yummy to boot. mwink.gif

Kat, thanks for your suggestions - here's an enhanced version with slightly different crop. Better or too much?

546593515_ESwwV-L.jpg
    edited May 26, 2009
    ok.. I know you like the other one.... and I know you are proud of it, and you should be, it was awesome.. notice the past tense in my voice... he he he...lol

serious... this photo right here is a placer... lets see what others have to say, but I am almost sure the judges are gonna like this one.. not only is it well shot, but is speaks on the theme "spot on"... you could sell this as a stock image.. it is wonderful..Benjer...

If I were you, I would wait to see what others say and then go with your gut...

the enhancements are perfect.... I love this photo........ and it is already on my top list..> mood, character, color, contrast, light. and a super composition..clap.gifclap

Kat
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Definitely have to agree with Kat on this one!

Nice job!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Now look what you got yourself into: having to choose between TWO wonderful shots! :nono lol3.gif

The pop-art one is unique and there probably will be no other like it in the DSS.

The light on these 'maters is particularly "delicious".

I may have to give the 'maters shot a slight edge over the pop-art one on meeting the theme. headscratch.gif But just a slight edge. mwink.gif But the pop-art one is the attention-grabber. ne_nau.gif

:whew Glad I'm not in your shoes. rolleyes1.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I love the reworked maters. Better contrast and color.now I have to go look at the other picture
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I love the reworked maters. Better contrast and color.now I have to go look at the other picture

Thanks - it's amazing what just a little tweaking can do for a lackluster exposure!

And thanks everyone for making this a hard choice on which to enter!
    edited May 27, 2009
    I know.... hard call huh? good luck with that... that's what you get for kicking out "all" good stuff..thumb.gif