Canon 5d mk ii issue - help!

kazuri imageskazuri images Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited May 26, 2009 in Cameras
Has anyone heard about playback issues w/ the canon 5d mk ii? I have a brand new mk ii and the first time I used it I saw this with some of the photos:

546321217_LwCVg-S.jpg

When I try to download the images, I get this:

546321229_uqQcj-S.jpg

I have used brand new flash cards, I formatted them before use, I use a card reader to transfer, I've tried everything including sending it to Canon, who said they can't replicate the issue. Any ideas? I get some photos off the camera, and this happens with every few files, no rhyme or reason. I'm SOOO frustrated and wedding season upon me!

Darci

Comments

• manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    If the problem happens with several different flash cards, it sounds like there is something wrong with the camera. You should have Canon replace it under warranty...

...or just go Nikon! :hide
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    What memory cards do you use - make and model? ne_nau.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Looks like a faulty memory card ...
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited May 26, 2009
    I've had no problems whatsoever with my Sandisk cards, both Ultra II and Extreme III (the latest version).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kazuri imageskazuri images Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I've had no problems whatsoever with my Sandisk cards, both Ultra II and Extreme III (the latest version).

I use Sandisk, but mostly Ultra II 2-8gb (15x, I think). I did send it back to canon to fix and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem, but now I'm wondering if they used cards or if they just took photos on camera when they were testing. I don't know how it could be the cards when they work perfectly in my 5d and i used both brand new and older to test. Is there a different speed card I should be using with the higher mp rate? Like a 30x? Don't know if that would make a difference? I'm at my wits end. I don't think the company will refund me since it's past their 15 day cut off, and if canon won't own up to their being an issue...

Just hoping someone would have a brilliant idea :)
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I think your best bet is the following:

Test the cards in another camera by doing the following:
    -Put card in other camera
    -Format in other camera
    -Test taking pictures and downloading to PC/Mac

If this goes OK, then do this:
    -Put same card in 5d Mk II
    -Format again
    -Take single pictures, every few seconds, then try burst mode
    -try to view or download pictures

By thoroughly checking the cards in another camera, and then formatting in the 5d mk ii, you should be ok and more importantly, if it still gives problems, you can narrow down that it is either an imcompatibility with the card and camera (not likely since you can use it in your other cam), or a camera problem. By trying to narrow down what settings trigger the issue, you may be able to get Canon to replicate the issue.

Best of luck, hope this helps you find an answer!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • kazuri imageskazuri images Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I think your best bet is the following:

Test the cards in another camera by doing the following:
    -Put card in other camera
    -Format in other camera
    -Test taking pictures and downloading to PC/Mac

If this goes OK, then do this:
    -Put same card in 5d Mk II
    -Format again
    -Take single pictures, every few seconds, then try burst mode
    -try to view or download pictures

By thoroughly checking the cards in another camera, and then formatting in the 5d mk ii, you should be ok and more importantly, if it still gives problems, you can narrow down that it is either an imcompatibility with the card and camera (not likely since you can use it in your other cam), or a camera problem. By trying to narrow down what settings trigger the issue, you may be able to get Canon to replicate the issue.

Best of luck, hope this helps you find an answer!

~Nick

Thanks - I've done that but haven't tried different settings, so I'll run a few more tests and log where it is showing up so they have it. I know the mode i've been shooting in to this point but will try others. All the cards work fine in my 5d - I've shot 3 weddings with them since I got them (after formatting and trying in the mk ii first). Sigh.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks - I'll keep trying!
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I use Sandisk, but mostly Ultra II 2-8gb (15x, I think).
    Good policy - I'm with Ziggy on this! SanDisk is one of few manufacturers of all components of their cards, unlike Transcend, Kingston and most other brands (according to Rob Galbraith).

The problem is, there are plenty of fake SanDisk cards around. Did you buy yours from a (really, really) reputable source?
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    To me, it looks like there was an error while the image was being written into the card, as you can see in that image, there is a point where the image goes to streaks.

I'd guess that it could be the fault of the card, the fault of the camera when writing the file, or perhaps even interference while the image was being written? Like a very strong magnetic force? But since you can use them fine in a 5D, I'd guess there is an issue with the camera, a compatibility issue withe the 5dMII and your card(s), or some interference (not sure of why though).

The more I think about it, more I'm thinking it's the camera. You know, I think you should call the customer service and let the rep help you. I had a buddy who got a 40D and it could front focus. He sent it in and they claimed to have fixed it but not to his satisfaction, so he called another line for disputes and such, they started a claim no. and they had them recalibrate the camera to his satisfaction.

Sorry to hear.