Low Light C&C please

DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited May 27, 2009 in People
My first try in very low light with a D300. I was shooting using camp fire light after dark hand held. I will post a few pictures rather than post a link to a bunch of tiresome pictures.

544788163_nzjsf-L.jpg
camera info for 1) f2.8, 1/3 sec, ISO 2000, WB Auto, Aperture priority. JPEG only.

545473050_vfZVm-L.jpg
Camera info... f2.8, 1/5 sec, ISO 3200, WB auto, aperture priority, auto WB (RAW adjusted in PP). Some cropping and adjustments to light in PP.

Last shot, my daughter and with our friends:
545492364_h6SPN-L.jpg
Camera info... f2.8, 1/15s, ISO 3200, aperture priority, auto WB (RAW adjusted in PP)

I can not remember if I used spot or spot matrix metering. The second and third pictures were taken the next night and the fire was generally not bright enough to use a lower ISO. Picture #2 is not as nice at full size due to noise (understandable given the high ISO). I have access to Capture NX for post production and Adoby CS3 on another computer (will not run with Vista). If you suggest reducing noise please suggest program. Overall I am happy with the photos just because I would have never tried this with my D70.

Thanks in advance for you time and any suggestions - short of telling me to give the camera to someone that can use it. (~;
John

Comments

• bakerphotographybakerphotography Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Actually I would say the noise isn't so bad given the camera settings indicated. With a campfire source, I'm not how much better you could get...even with nice NR programs like NoiseNinja, etc...
    I like #3 the best, given that the posing lends itself to a campfire circle,whereas with 1 & 2 if you didn't know you might wonder.
    Biggest problem I have with campfire shots is shooting through the heat distortions.

www.bakerphotography.net

Canon Shooter:ivar

Canon 1dMkII
    Canon 85mm 1.2
    580EX-II
    Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM
    Gary Fong LSII
    AB800 / AB400
    Calumet Genesis 250
  • DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Actually I would say the noise isn't so bad given the camera settings indicated. With a campfire source, I'm not how much better you could get...even with nice NR programs like NoiseNinja, etc...
    I like #3 the best, given that the posing lends itself to a campfire circle,whereas with 1 & 2 if you didn't know you might wonder.
    Biggest problem I have with campfire shots is shooting through the heat distortions.

I did not expect a reply so quickly. Thanks.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I'm really liking the last one. Love the atmosphere! thumb.gif

I think I might clone out the square on your daughter's head and, maybe, crop out the house in the background. These "fixes" would make it a very much more focused image.
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I'm really liking the last one. Love the atmosphere! thumb.gif

I think I might clone out the square on your daughter's head and, maybe, crop out the house in the background. These "fixes" would make it a very much more focused image.

15524779-Ti.gif Absolutely, 100% agree. #3 is a great shot, even better with a few little changes. Good catch.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I find camp fire shots very challenging to pull off. For me, one of the main things to include in camp fire shots is, well, the camp fire.

It gives context to what's going on. What everyone is looking at & why the photo's have that color cast.

Give it a try on your next shoot thumb.gif
    Randy
  • DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I find camp fire shots very challenging to pull off. For me, one of the main things to include in camp fire shots is, well, the camp fire.

It gives context to what's going on. What everyone is looking at & why the photo's have that color cast.

Give it a try on your next shoot thumb.gif

Thanks. I tried to resist the urge to post to many pictures. I wanted to post pictures that I was not ashamed of but at the same time had things I wanted to fix. Noise - which may require more camera than I can afford - and post processing. A few shots of and around the fire:

544857305_MeRFi-L.jpg

545491803_YUDZR-L.jpg

This one just after sunset but before dark. The subject is the fire - I focused on log - and shot at f5 to attempt to get more depth of field so both would be in focus. I should have focused on the back of the fire pit or used a higher f stop. Again I was hand holding for these shots so camera shake is coming into play. Thanks for all the help everyone. Keep it coming I am learning a lot.
    545575455_LJyhD-L.jpg
  • Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Not to bad!! I shot my d300 in a very low light at a Graduation this weekend and it was horrible... =/

My iso varied from 1600 - 2500 and I had massive noise. Thank god for Light Room and NoiseNinja.

It looks like you did a pretty good job considering the equipment you used. Oh well, we'll suffer until we can justify buying a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR Lens.

=) Good job!