An Afternoon at Ithaca Falls

DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited May 28, 2009 in People
Some pics of my daughters and my wife. The oldest is 6, and my other daughter is 8 mos. Just getting some practice in. I couldnt pick between the color or bw version of the pics of my oldest, so i'm including both.

if4.jpg

if5.jpg

haileywf1.jpg

haileywf1_bw.jpg

haileywf2.jpg

haileywf2_bw.jpg
-=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Clay,
    If your wanting a vote for favorite, I choose #1.

Reason:

Our eyes are drawn to contrast & color. In #1, the contrast draws my eye to the child's cheek, but contrast is semi-low enough to allow the child's eyes to contrast, therefore drawing my eyes to the child's eyes.

The color version has too much contrast from the cheek to the eyes, and more importantly here, the colors on the dress pull my eyes to that, and away from the child's face.

YMMV
    Randy
  • mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I like them all, I think she has a beautiful smiling face, however, I personally like the last one best, I think it is a great example (when contrasted by the previous one, facing camera) of NOT telling the whole story, I am more drawn to the mystery of what she is peering at so 'contentedly'(?)...

-mrlassiter

(Man! I really hope that made sense!)
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Clay,
    If your wanting a vote for favorite, I choose #1.

Reason:

Our eyes are drawn to contrast & color. In #1, the contrast draws my eye to the child's cheek, but contrast is semi-low enough to allow the child's eyes to contrast, therefore drawing my eyes to the child's eyes.

YMMV

x2
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    I agree with rwells about #1. The shots with the falls in the background needed better lighting balance, perhaps fill flash? The falls are too, well white and bright, and the contrast with the subject just isn't enough and doesn't work.
    If not now, when?
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    i thought so too, but liked the way they turned out anyway. thanks all for your comments!
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART