Options

Gallery within a Gallery

hogheadhoghead Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited May 29, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I would like to create a gallery with separate galleries within the main gallery. Is this possible? I am shooting horse shows and I would like to create a main gallery with the name being the location of the show and then have the participants have separate galleries within the main gallery based on their entry number. Is there a way to do this?
Pentax K10D, K20D body, PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Pentax DA* 300mm f/4, Pentax DA 10-17mm, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM, Pentax DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3, Pentax Super Takumar 200mm f/4,
Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8XRDi, Pentax AF-540FGZ flash
Hog Wild Photography

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Create a category, put each of the separate galleries in the category. Display your galleries by category. See here and here for more info.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    kluau88kluau88 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2009
    Variation...
    So I'm trying to plan how I should do this before I commit so I don't need to redo the structure.

I'm planning on posting photos from the trips I take. For example say I have 2 trips, Amsterdam and Chicago.

For the Amsterdam trip I might divide the photos up by location/activity. However for Chicago I might just put everything into one album.

Is there any other way to do this besides creating a category for each trip?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    kluau88 wrote:
    So I'm trying to plan how I should do this before I commit so I don't need to redo the structure.

I'm planning on posting photos from the trips I take. For example say I have 2 trips, Amsterdam and Chicago.

For the Amsterdam trip I might divide the photos up by location/activity. However for Chicago I might just put everything into one album.

Is there any other way to do this besides creating a category for each trip?
    I don't understand what you are asking. It takes 5 seconds to create a category and if you intend to show hierarchy, you have to create the hierarchy you want to use. Don't fret about figuring it all out before hand. Just try something and see what you like. It's all changable at any time. It takes 5 seconds to assign a gallery to a different category after you've created it. It's just an attribute in the customize gallery screen that you change.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I use the following technique, but it is tricky to set up and maintain:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57994

One other possibility is to use a sub-category for Amsterdam and a gallery for Chicago. You would then need a trick to integrate the sub-category and gallery boxes (there is probably a neat trick to do this - my hack would be to hide the sub-category box, and put a gallery redirect (search for it!) in the gallery list).
  • Options
    afmdmcafmdmc Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Thanks
    Hey thanks for asking this question. i was trying to do the same thing and wasn't having much luck. and also a big thanks to those who helped.
    search is a wonderful thing.clap.gif
    http://afmdmc.smugmug.com/

My Tomestone Will Read : I spent most of my money on Cold Beer, Loose Women, And Fast Bikes, the rest I just Wasted !!!!

Dave.
  • Options
    BlizzinBlizzin Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins

Hey @jfriend I want to have a gallery within galleries. Where do you create a category? I don't see it listed anywhere in my content and design.

Thanks, Michelle

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited December 18, 2016

@Blizzin said:
    ...Where do you create a category? I don't see it listed anywhere in my content and design.

Thanks, Michelle

Categories were a part of legacy SmugMug. They have been replaced by folders in new SmugMug.

Galleries contain only photos.
    Folders can contain folders, pages, and galleries.

See help page What are folders and hierarchy?

• Options
    Thank you Denise. OK. I can do that I guess. Do I have to create folders for every gallery now and move all of the photos to it ? , then have my homepage show folders instead ? Also how will I have the navigation bar at the top still show a dropdown menu of folders?? instead of galleries?

My site is shellette.net
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2016

@Blizzin said:
    Thank you Denise. OK. I can do that I guess. Do I have to create folders for every gallery now and move all of the photos to it ? , then have my homepage show folders instead ? Also how will I have the navigation bar at the top still show a dropdown menu of folders?? instead of galleries?

My site is shellette.net

Photos can only be contained in galleries.
    You can move your galleries into folders.

You can specify folders in your menu. If you want your menu to show folders instead of galleries then you will need to update the entries in your menu. If you want your home page to show folders then you will need to specify the folders to be displayed in your homepage content element(s).

You already have some folders that I can see at http://www.shellette.net/browse. You can continue to use them or you can create new folders. You can move your galleries into different folders in the organizer.

Your current folders appear to be empty. That may be because you haven't moved any galleries into the folders, or because the galleries in the folders are set to a visibility of unlisted.

If you want to see an example of folders containing galleries you can look at my site. My "gallery" page (at http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Gallery/) contains a folders content element. That element specifies 9 folders. Each of the folders on that page contains galleries. The one exception is the Travel folder. That folder contains folders which in turn contain galleries (so the hierarchy is deeper in this one instance).

• Options
    OK, thank you again Denise. It looks like it will work even better for the future. Did you get much snow yesterday? We got 11 inches up here in Ashland, NH. and now rain. Your gallery of work is excellent. I like your eye.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2016

@Blizzin said:
    OK, thank you again Denise. It looks like it will work even better for the future. Did you get much snow yesterday? We got 11 inches up here in Ashland, NH. and now rain. Your gallery of work is excellent. I like your eye.

Thank you!

We had 4 to 5 inches of snow yesterday, raining now. I hope there is enough non-wet weather late today before the temperature drops again - we're close to 50 right now but the overnight low is supposed to be 14, yikes!