Need some help Part 1

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited June 17, 2005 in Wildlife
Hey You'll,

Normally I avoid contests, challenges, POTDs, etc like the plague. I have reluctantly decided to enter a couple of pics in the St. Augustine Alligator Farm's
photography contest in the bird and general categories. Last year's winner came be seen here. http://www.alligatorfarm.com/ (click on Groups and Events).

Anyhow I have the bird category down to these 4 pics. Which one would you go with?
24749108-L.jpg

24749114-L.jpg

24749117-L.jpg

24750381-L.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    They're all great. I think the snowy egret is very close behind the
    cattle ergret. That pose shows atitude.
    Beautiful,
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • wmsnyderwmsnyder Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Boy that is a tough call. Probably the first or second one. The only thing that keeps me from picking the second one is the leaves at the botttom front.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    You don't make it easy Boss. There all quality work +++

I can't pick right now either part 1 or 2 cause I want to come back a couple times and look again.

I am leaning towards one of the shots with babies (babies go over big) with rookerys, farms, marshlands etc. I believe they like these cause it shows growth and stability for that place. Make sense ??
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    My first thought is #1 or #3.

Off to upload.

Will look at the winner, previous. I personally, just my preference, do not like heads cut off...........maybe I will get used to it, do it myself sometimes.

Still love those woodstork babies.

ginger (I think I got a woodstork today) A nice one, I hope.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    I am 1 and 4 but you know my taste aint normal so have some salt with my picks :D
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    #1 here Harry
    Laura and I agree here

and good luck thumb.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Number 2.

All of the pics are great. I think the background in #2 is the most pleasing, and
    isolates the bird more.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Hi Harry,

I'm having a difficult time picking a "fav" of the group.

I would easily vote for #1... except for the crop. #2 is beautiful because of the colors, but the beak is a bit soft, and again... I'm not found of the crop. #3 is best by far as comp, but not very "engaging" as compared to #1. #4 doesn't do anything for me. I dunno... sorry I'm no help here.ne_nau.gif
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    All are great Harry. After giving it some thought I would choose #2. I would crop just a smidge off the bottom to lose the one OOF leaf on the left. This one has best look at the personality of the bird and the OOF background is great with very nice lighting. Good luck making your choice. I like #1 second best, just wish there was a tad more room on the left edge compo wise. The lighting is very striking, almost looks like a spotlight on the bird, and the array of feathers is something different. The lighting is very flat on #3. The lighting on #4 is the best of all, I only wish the bird was looking around just a little more. Lots of very minor nits, they are all very well done. Tough choice.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2005
    Nice shots. I prefer #2 but this will need some cropping or PS to make it a winner. #4 does not grab me at all.

Good luck!

mitch
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    Trying to enter a contest with such second rate photography tsk tsk tsk. I mean you don't even have a 500mm Lense in your hands yet.

Ok all joking and petty jealousy aside.
    I can't choose either. How technical are the judges of the photography. I gotsta say my pick would be number 1. Something about it just seems so magazine like. The others are great but #1 is what I would expect to see if I was reading a book about egrets.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    They are all nice. But i would personaly go with number one.
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    #2, but as others have said, clone out the leaves .

regards
    alan
    edited June 13, 2005
    The problem with #1 is that it is an egret "do". They do that, we photograph it: all of us. I have it in many ways, albeit not as technically perfect, etc. That is what I would see as the "problem", other entries of the same thing.

The great thing about #1 is the great detail in those feathers: the ones the opposite sex must love. It might just be the best one ever done.

On the other hand, there is not a whole bird...........

I am sure glad it is not me picking. Or winning, smile.clap.gif Or not.:cry

I read yesterday that photographers are terrible at picking their own work, the article was a LensWork thing.

I don't see an answer here. Harry, why did you pick these finalists? Is there one that we would all look at and say "oh yesssss" that is the one, and as I do, you would say "why?", it is nothing compared to these others?

I wonder that now, not that you would be comfortable going with our fave. Which one do you like?

ginger
    edited June 13, 2005
    #3 is a whole bird, that is a thought.

Also, Andy picked it out of a "set" the other day, I remember that.

Look at us, we are all over the map.ne_nau.gif

g
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    #3 is a whole bird, that is a thought.

Also, Andy picked it out of a "set" the other day, I remember that.

Look at us, we are all over the map.ne_nau.gif

g
    Just a thought on my part here: I remember when I was still active in a photography club, photos like #1 & #3 would get hammered because the animal would bump its head on the frame if it moved. The consensus then was to give animals some room in the frame to "move into".

I agree with Ginger, give us four good pics to choose from - you'll get four choices.

regards
    alan
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    #2, but as others have said, clone out the leaves .

regards
    alan
    Thanks Al but cloning ain't allowed in the contest. Darn those pesky leaves.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    I chose #1 then #2 (before looking at last year's winners).

#1 is similar to one of last years winners. Don't know if that's good or bad ...

Brad
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    I'm partial to #1. I really want to know what he's looking at in #3! :):
    Chris
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    This is a really tough call between #1 and #3.

I love the lighting in #1 but the clarity and comp in #3 is stunning as well. I can't decide between the two.ne_nau.gif
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2005
    Hi Harry,
    These are all great shots, but if I have to pick a 'winner', I vote for number 3.

I think it has the best lighting, pose, and composition.

Number one is a close second, but for me, not as interesting as number three.

Number two is showing a lot of digital artifacts on the left. Not sure how it will look printed, but as far as viewing online, it's a turn off. This may make a difference since you can't 'clone it out'.

But, again-very nice shots. Your photography has grown leaps and bounds from what I remember say two years ago. You are consistantly putting out very high class stuff thumb.gif

Take care,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Thank you all
    Thanks to everyone who responded. All the responses were very helpful. I was unsure of which picture to enter. I was leaning towards the cattle egret but now I'm not sure. I like #1 but I'm not thrilled with the comp. The cattle egret has the colors but the comp I'm still unsure of. I just may cull these and reconsider a flight shot as an entry.
    Harry
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    I havent read part two of this post, but id chose #2. I just wish i could tell you why...... Its just because out of the four I find #2 most appealing... I cant come up though with any good reasons though....

so i guess " dont listen to me" but id go with #2

troy