Dolichopodidae: Condylostylus

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in Holy Macro
I guess it was just a weekend for flies!

Amazing color. He seemed to jump every time the flash triggered. Many shots had him moving before the shutter could close or during the flash duration - fast little bug!

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Good one :)

I was shooting a dolichopid the other day and had to resort to shooting manual flash as the pre-flash for ttl metering was making it jump.
    Brian V.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I am relatively new to this, but I had never seen this preflash reaction before.

This fly was sitting still, but in the instant between focusing and triggering the shutter he moved significantly - sometimes completely out of the frame.

I did not understand why when going back to look at the card, there were so many leaf shots with nothing in them. Upon closer review, there was at times a very small amount of the fly or simply an out of focus moving fly.

Their reaction times must be incredible. Is there any way to compensate - or simply go over to manual flash and eliminate the pre flash focus/exposure?

What kind of bugs exhibit this behavior? It must only be sensitive, highly reactive ones.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.