50mm 1.8

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in People
A while back I picked up a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF-D. What a great value! For $120, it can't be beat... makes a great portrait lens as long as you don't get too close (you'll definitely see perspective distortion if you get in close enough for a tight headshot with this lens... but even then, it's not always bad). Everyone should have one of these in their bag, or the Canon equivalent if it's even close to this good of a value. Sharp sharp sharp once you stop it down a bit, and even at 1.8 it's better than a lot of other, slower lenses when shot wide open. Anyway here are a couple of shots that I've taken with it. I'm looking forward to using it more this summer (hopefully for senior portraits!):

This is my friend's sister: (1/60 at f/1.8 and ISO 500... lighting was a tunsten light fixture in her kitchen... I love how f/1.8 can make the "available" light actually available)

534436751_PcBbH-L.jpg

And here's a shot of my Dad: (1/200 at f/4 and ISO 200, tungsten WB, CTO'd sb600 through a small (7x9") softbox camera left)

534440166_jW5Aw-L.jpg

C&C welcome, let me know what you think.

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    i've got the 50mm 1.4 and really love it. It's almost never off my camera. I love the second pic too. Very sharp, beautiful
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    The 50MM is quite a nice lens for the money. I really like your use of the CTO gel and white balance on the shot of your dad. David Hobby (the strobist) would be proud.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Shane422 wrote:
    The 50MM is quite a nice lens for the money. I really like your use of the CTO gel and white balance on the shot of your dad. David Hobby (the strobist) would be proud.

Yep, taught me everything I know!

(ok, that's an exaggeration... Joe McNally helped as well!)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Tim,

Really nice job on the second shot with the tungsten & CTO. thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Thats a great lens. I loved mine and miss it. Great pics!
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    That second shot is really fabulous - using tungsten WB to get the blue backlight and soften his portrait with the CTO gel - super nice.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    That second shot is really fabulous - using tungsten WB to get the blue backlight and soften his portrait with the CTO gel - super nice.

- Mike

x2

That portrait is down right outstanding. thumb.gif
    Thanks for letting us 'in' on the creating of it!

#1 is no slouch either....
  • dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I love the first shot. I love her eyes!!clap.gif
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com