#26 maybe?

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Wonderful sunset tonight. Storm clouds and awesome colors, but the picture I like the best didn't show that as well as I like, so here is what I came up with playing with the color temp. and the saturation.. I love the picture but not sure about it for this challenge.

547117362_4vJvb-L.jpg

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif Light has been modified. But like the energy theme it is hard to get it across strongly. If you see my post I went off the deep end in modifacation. Now have to regroup.
    I like the shot a lot, but it lacks strength. I am trying to feel if I could have everything, would it be better if the sun was lower in the frame of branches
    Peanut gallery signing off
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    I like the colors here.. have always liked aqua vs. orange....

I am not sure though on this... the idea is nice and you modified the light we see by framing it the way you did here in the trees and that is a great idea and very creative..

however,, technically speaking, the processing brought out a lot of digital noise in this.... it is everywhere. and I am not fond of one side being in sharp focus and the other side of the composition being blurred..

this looks like a shot you may be able to re-shoot? same location.. like I said the idea is great and the results are very pretty, but the processing is roughing it up too much..

I wonder from the noise what your settings were when you shot this?

what was your ISO ?

Maybe try to lower that ISO... and increase your exposure some to take in more light.... and you can also modify the light by capturing it through the leaves too and a high aperture to make a star burst etc... try different shots..

hope this helped..

Kat
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Light has been modified. But like the energy theme it is hard to get it across strongly. If you see my post I went off the deep end in modifacation. Now have to regroup.
    I like the shot a lot, but it lacks strength. I am trying to feel if I could have everything, would it be better if the sun was lower in the frame of branches
    Peanut gallery signing off

oh, see now, I love the fiorst barn. I just hate to jinx people by saying that. I never seem to be on the same page as everyone else.
    I agree this one lacks strength.. it is a lack of ideas and time. So, ewhen I looked out the window and the air looked yellow last night, I jusmped in the car and took off. I wasn't getting out of the car on a strange country road that IO landed on while chasing the sun... so it wound up in the middle. There was just that slight break in the clouds for it to shine through.
    Thanks for the comments. I have another idea spinning in my head that I think I will try tonight.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I like the colors here.. have always liked aqua vs. orange....I am not sure though on this... the idea is nice and you modified the light we see by framing it the way you did here in the trees and that is a great idea and very creative.. however,, technically speaking, the processing brought out a lot of digital noise in this.... it is everywhere. and I am not fond of one side being in sharp focus and the other side of the composition being blurred..this looks like a shot you may be able to re-shoot? same location.. like I said the idea is great and the results are very pretty, but the processing is roughing it up too much..I wonder from the noise what your settings were when you shot this?what was your ISO ? Maybe try to lower that ISO... and increase your exposure some to take in more light.... and you can also modify the light by capturing it through the leaves too and a high aperture to make a star burst etc... try different shots..hope this helped..Kat

Kat thanks for the comments and advice. I know I can always count on you.
    Yes, there is a lot of noise from the saturation I did. I am not as opposed to noise, in some cases, as most people are. The left side is blurred because those trees were pretty distant.
    No, this isn't one that can be reshot at all. It was a metter of the the storm clouds and the sun hitting right in between two of them while I was sitting on that one road. This was one of those "drive and shoot". Mine usually are. I am not the type to wait patiently for the perfect thng to happen, or not happen as is usual.
    I have another idea I plan to try tonight. We'll see how that turns out.
    Oh, I also thought you might like to see what this was to begin with. Shame the colors didn't come through as nice as they really were.
    547941273_JBNK4-L.jpg
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Hey there,, no problem.. always happy to help if I can...

I hear you about the noise, sometimes it can work with grain. I took the photo and played with it some to see how bad the noise was and it looks like it only stands out real bad when you apply heavy hue and curve processing... so if you want to use this photo, this is what will work... now I know you don't use Photoshop but instead use GIMP and keep in mind I am not familiar with GIMP... so bare with me here..rolleyes1.gif

In photoshop what works to salvage it is a photo filter..this brightens it up and pulls out the color and it leaves the "leaves" framing it as a silhouette and as a silhouette the leaves don't look as blurred on one side. so, if you can throw an orange filter on it and pump the filter up about half way...or other color to your liking, and then open up the contrast tool and raise the contrast and this will give you darker leaves and punchier color, you might also try sliding the brighten tool up a little too... with this method you get a lot "less" noise distortion...that is my best advice on how to make this one work in case you run out of time to reshoot something else...

hope this helps.. and best of Luck to you always...thumb.gif

Kat